Universal Love Thank You Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, it was a privilege to have Cyril at the club and to witness his remarkable skills. I always have a laugh when I remember being sent some footage of Cyril playing for Scotch College. I was told by a mate who was a recruitment officer that Hawthorn were interested in picking this kid Rioli in the draft. Having seen Maurice Rioli at Richmond I was keen to view it.

The footage opened showing this lad who was overweight and slow and I thought, "are you kidding me?". It was the wrong kid. Then came the real stuff, the skills were all on display, and even though it was a school match you could tell this lad was a star in the making. My only worry was he'd still be on the table when it came our turn to pick.

I don't think you can teach some of the extraordinary skills he possessed, a lot was pure natural awareness and ability, but the values that can be taught to young players is never give up, to keep chasing and working hard, and the importance of keeping your feet. It seems like only yesterday he played his first game. Such a short time to be an AFL player, don't waste it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back