Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
So, admittedly things didn't pan out as most of us had hoped, with our man McCarthy not getting through to pick 17, but realistically, I don't think he could have gone to a better "club". GWS have Cameron, Patton (back soonish you'd think), Boyd and to a lesser extent Hampton and Stewart in front of McCarthy in the tall forward department. Now, I can't say I've ever observed the reserves footy scene in and around Greater Western s**t-Tip, but I can't imagine it's anything to write home about. So, I reckon give it a maximum of two seasons of having to wait in line behind more recognised draft prospects and McCarthy will be heading on home to play for Freo. Thanks in advance for the ready made forward GWS.

Possible 2016 Fwd Line-

From -Mayne, Gumbleton, Ballantyne, Walters, Apeness, Hogan, Fyfe, Morabito, Tarbener, Crozier, De Boer, Hannath.

Resting Clarke, Moller, Griffin

:eek:

Only reason I can think of why they took him is they know someone may be leaving.... Patton maybe?? They are saying he could be developed as a backman? In 2 years time, our pick will still be around that 12-18 mark so unless WCE try and trump us, we could easily put up our second rounder and they will have to take it. Assuming he develops enough for us to want him...

Very strange decision from GWS. They either have worries about one of their young key forwards leaving (possibly Patton), or they'll be trying to give him a different role.

I guess they could also be trying to stockpile players in a bid to sell them back to the other clubs at a raised price, but I hardly see how you're going to get good value for players who will most likely have seen very little game time.

Pretty weird drafting by the young club. Three talls in Boyd, McCarthy and Lobb. Either someone will leave or one of those three will be training as a backman. Mason Shaw from Port Adelaide is a WA boy so he could also come home after next season.

Maybe they think he's the next Harry Taylor?

Just because someone plays as a forward in school doesn't mean they will play as a forward in the AFL.

Pretty much every key defender in the AFL was once an underage KPF superstar who kicked bags of goals. When you've got a guy with standout ability, it makes sense to play him in a position where he can win the game off his own boot.

When they get to the AFL, half those forwards will become defenders.

Luke McPharlin played 1 game of WAFL colts as a full forward and kicked eight goals before going on to become one of the best defenders in the AFL.

Pretty weird drafting by the young club. Three talls in Boyd, McCarthy and Lobb. Either someone will leave or one of those three will be training as a backman. Mason Shaw from Port Adelaide is a WA boy so he could also come home after next season.

not weird at all - their aim all along has been to grab the talent most likely to produce the best trade options in the future - they want to have a GWS biased draft for as long as possible. It will take about 15-20 years to get back to a level draft field.

Think about it - they will trade their peripheral best (outside top 22) in the coming years. Talent that still has the likelihood of top 22 with any other club and because they have cornered the market will get first round picks for them.

Absolutely conceited the way the have developed their list - AFL are equally to blame, they should have made conditions that certain concession picks had to be traded for seasoned experienced players to ensure some better competitiveness in their early years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're simply stockpiling the most valuable comodity in the trade market (key forwards) to ensure the best draft picks for the foreseeable future. Guys like Patton, Jaksch & McCarthy will be traded for premiums on the years that they haven't activated one of their plethora of banked draft picks to ensure multiple first rd picks every year.

I can see Freo watching their potential cash availability in 2 seasons ( 2015 November Period ). A bit of cash might be surplus, and like a Saltie Croc, they will dart in and swoop in on a "victim".

In addition to potentially fishing for names like Hogan, McCarthy, Shaw - the 2014 draft has been talked up as a draft for talls a few times earlier this year.

Maybe they think he's the next Harry Taylor?

Just because someone plays as a forward in school doesn't mean they will play as a forward in the AFL.

Pretty much every key defender in the AFL was once an underage KPF superstar who kicked bags of goals. When you've got a guy with standout ability, it makes sense to play him in a position where he can win the game off his own boot.

When they get to the AFL, half those forwards will become defenders.

Luke McPharlin played 1 game of WAFL colts as a full forward and kicked eight goals before going on to become one of the best defenders in the AFL.

This is what I reckon they're planning to do with McCarthy. And if not McCarthy, then they'll groom someone else for the key defender's spot.

Hopefully we can grab him in two years, but I can't imagine GWS will be trading lightly for him.

They're simply stockpiling the most valuable comodity in the trade market (key forwards) to ensure the best draft picks for the foreseeable future. Guys like Patton, Jaksch & McCarthy will be traded for premiums on the years that they haven't activated one of their plethora of banked draft picks to ensure multiple first rd picks every year.

In addition to potentially fishing for names like Hogan, McCarthy, Shaw - the 2014 draft has been talked up as a draft for talls a few times earlier this year.

Bit of a balancing act with McCarthy IMO.
He will be down the pecking order and if he plays two years in the NEAFL,there is no way he'll be commanding a first rounder.

I'm calling GWS will lose on this pick and we'll land him for a late second rounder.

Just wondered over to the GWS site wanting to see what the latest news regarding McCarthy. There own fans are wondering the same thing. Unless played back, he won't get a game. Fingers crossed 2 years pass and he wants to come home. Maybe him, apness and tabs could be a great combo moving forward. Just day dreaming but no doubt freo will be watching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I reckon GWS have set themselves up nicely.. they'll be able to trade out young KPFs for top draft picks or players for years to come, and keep themselves contenders for a very long time.

Excellent bump, I was expecting something along the lines of:

Accept 2015 offer of pick 22 (turned into 27 by draft day) and next year's first:
Gain McCarthy; lose Tucker and pick 3.

By waiting 12 months:
1) We kept Tucker
2) traded pick 3 for McCarthy, pick 7, pick 35 and pick 73
3) essentially used pick 35 for Hamling with a shuffle of later picks

So by refusing the offer, we got McCarthy 12 months later but also have
Tucker, Logue, Hamling and Luke Ryan.

Thank you GWS.

Excellent bump, I was expecting something along the lines of:

Accept 2015 offer of pick 22 (turned into 27 by draft day) and next year's first:
Gain McCarthy; lose Tucker and pick 3.

By waiting 12 months:
1) We kept Tucker
2) traded pick 3 for McCarthy, pick 7, pick 35 and pick 73
3) essentially used pick 35 for Hamling with a shuffle of later picks

So by refusing the offer, we got McCarthy 12 months later but also have
Tucker, Logue, Hamling and Luke Ryan.

Thank you GWS.
They turned down an offer of two first rounders.... To then a year later get rid of him for the equivalent of what? Pick 70. Ahahahahahahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back