Universal Love Thank you Mr Betts (not retired/dead)

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Another reason to draft Rankine.

Once our foundation players retired we've never had the early draft picks to draft really classy ball users in the mids. So our delivery I50 has been ordinary.

Betts has been huge in mitigating that weakness and making goals out of nothing. We need a replacement pretty urgently now.
Rankine or Rozee, either or. Both would be nice.

Oct 12, 2006
Far West SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Panthers, Double Blues
Sure. And the season is over and is he going to be better, worse or the same next year?

Not sure where you are going with this but I'll have a crack;

Considering the following - 1. The ridiculous pre season camp where if rumours are true was incredibly culturally insensitive
2. He lost the young lad who he was mentoring in the off season
3. He was part of the Burton/Hass fitness program - therefore injured
4. The whole team underperformed therefore lower scores/ poor forward entries/the entire forward line was poo
5. His home welcomed twins into the house

Then yes if I was a betting man I would confidently say that I think his 2019 should be better.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Considering the following - 1. The ridiculous pre season camp where if rumours are true was incredibly culturally insensitive
4. The whole team underperformed therefore lower scores/ poor forward entries/the entire forward line was poo

Then yes if I was a betting man I would confidently say that I think his 2019 should be better.

I reckon 1,2,5 should be completely irrelevant for a hardened professional footballer. I'll grant 3 and 4: that's where we have to improve.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Rankine or Rozee, either or. Both would be nice.
I'll be honest, I haven't seen too much of Rozee but what I've seen of Rankine is mercurial. Basically what you need to turn many of our standard forward entries into goals.

Could be a generational player.

Oct 12, 2006
Far West SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Panthers, Double Blues
I reckon 1,2,5 should be completely irrelevant for a hardened professional footballer. I'll grant 3 and 4: that's where we have to improve.

Yeah I will give you 2 & 5 but the first one may have had the most impact - the damage caused between players and club would have driven a wedge.

Apr 10, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide

Just not sure if he can come back better. He will be 32 at the end of this year and has played nearly 300 games ( could say something for his longevity or that his body is getting worn out ). It might be a blip of a year or he’s declined. If the crows season improves next year then yeah some of his stats might improve.

Nah, those blokes get triple his disposal numbers. Plus his defensive stats are down. Not a good year by any standards.

Betts is 7th in the AFL for average tackles inside 50, and he averages 2 disposals per game less than Fantasia, Gresham and Cripps (which by the way is irrelevant for a small forward). He's also still 4th at our club for average score involvements, behind Lynch, Jenkins and Gibbs.

I don't think he's had a great year, and not as good as his previous years, but we're talking about a player that was the best small forward in the game. His 2018 was back in the pack but certainly would be good enough to be the #1 small forward at many clubs

He was still 10th on average goals per game for a small forward who played more than 5 matches

I would say only 2 is. Betts would be enough of a professional, and had enough time to process losing Charlie that it wouldn't have made the slightest difference whatsoever in performance. It's a romantic statement, but probably nothing more than that.

1,3,4 and 5 are all in play here. Camp could have quite easily destroyed a lot of confidence seeing it was in essence us saying to our players that we have no faith or confidence in them being able to succeed (which in a position that betts plays - confidence is everything). Injuries could have definitely played a role, and especially at his advanced age, could have resulted in a loss of confidence in the body. Whole team under performance would certainly impact seeing Betts is really the last part of any foray and if others are being s**t, he'll in turn be s**t by association. Finally, adding twins to a household would certainly impact on sleep, recovery and potentially be a mentally draining source, again lowering performance.

We can be definitely certain on 4 considering the role Betts played. 1,3,5 are all potential causes, though of course it could just simply be the beginning of the end for Eddie seeing he did begin to show signs of decline in the second half of last season.

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thing is, we have to start to understand Eddie will be 32 soon and the cliff can come real quick.

If he can average 1.5 goals next year and lift the assists slightly, I'd be happy with that
Yeah, he's almost cooked. Can barely kick 35 meters now. Been a superstar for us, filled out crowds, pivotal in us reaching a GF, not trying to undermine how great he has been for us, but he doesn't seem like the type that will play til 35+.

I would imagine 1 or 2 more years at best and he's done.

Next Gen Rookie

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2017
Hiding in Bacon8's roofspace
AFL Club
Adelaide
AdelaideNow article up now (paywalled of course), he's playing on next year

If you can't follow the numerous offers of "this will stop the paywall" posts that have been suggested, then you don't need to tell us you are paywalled.

upload_2018-8-22_10-6-54.png

upload_2018-8-22_10-6-9.png

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yeah, he's almost cooked. Can barely kick 35 meters now. Been a superstar for us, filled out crowds, pivotal in us reaching a GF, not trying to undermine how great he has been for us, but he doesn't seem like the type that will play til 35+.

I would imagine 1 or 2 more years at best and he's done.
35 metres with his dodgy hamstrings this year.
If we get our fitness program sorted out he could kick further

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
In the last q (I think) his opponent grabbed him round the neck as he was about to lead and threw him to the ground. This with an umpire about 6 metres away. No whistle.
Yeah, I saw this incident on replay. Who was the PA player? I've forgotten. Oldness. :(

Can anybody please post a gif of it?

There's usually a bit of niggle, open-handed pushing, shoulder bumping etc, but fist punching to the midriff or chest should be reportable with an automatic one-game penalty. MRP has got to rub that out.
As for the incident with Eddie, it was well off the ball, potentially dangerous and didn't even attract a fine after the game.
WTF? :huh: :mad:
Footy players of all ages will see that and many will imitate it with impunity. I hate that stuff.

As for Eddie_2018, it might be a one-off after a number of factors piled up:
--- CC leaving. Eddie was quoted as saying he'd be very surprised (before the event). I'll bet he was!
--- Collective Mindlessness, about which Eddie has been conspicuously quiet.
--- the twins (even if I believe a bloke on his kind of dough can well-afford help in that area)
--- injured, twice. Another of our blokes who got thoroughly Hassled *mutter mutter gripe* :mad:.
If his 2019 is about the same after a full pre-season and full fitness, it'd be time to retire him.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I'll be honest, I haven't seen too much of Rozee but what I've seen of Rankine is mercurial. Basically what you need to turn many of our standard forward entries into goals.

Could be a generational player.
Rozee has similar tricks in his bag, but didnt have a great champs.

Back