Toast Thank you Paddy McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

While he hasn't played a huge number of games, I can't help but feel this kid deserves his own thread.

There was a heap of debate leading up to the 2014 draft about who we should take but McCartin was the right call.

Membrey came in as a DFA, Bruce had yet to play forward & so it was Roo or bust inside 50.

Paddy showed plenty of talent in his limited game time. He was clunking marks all over, busting packs and seriously putting a hurt on teams.

His first half against Collingwood a couple of years ago, including kicking a set shot with a broken collarbone, was the stuff we were all hoping for out of the #1 pick.

Sadly though, injuries have taken their toll.

If this was the 90's then Paddy would probably have 80 odd games to his name and a reputation as one of the hardest men in footy. Jono Brown 2.0

But we know more now. We know that quality of life needs to come first. We know that the damaged caused by concussions is, mostly, irreparable.

So while we would love to salivate over a line up of King & Membrey with a fit and in form Paddy McCartin getting the 3rd best defender he and the club have made the right call.

Paddy can now go and get the best medical help for his situation free from the pressure of expectation.

With the new signing and pre season list rules I'd love to see him make a successful comeback in 2, 3... 5 years time.

But if he never pulls the boots on again then all parties can still hold themselves with pride knowing that every possible avenue has been exhausted.

Thank you Paddy! Wishing you all the best in life going forward.

Last edited:
To the St.Kilda Football Club please do everything you can to help Paddy for the rest of life

How did one man cop so many head knocks? I never saw him play that much. Did he somehow play in such a way his head was in the firing line, or just bad luck?

I think we were spooked a bit due to the impending retirement of Roo and the massive coin the dogs had just paid for Boyd, thinking a big ff was the future.
I think we could have managed the diabetes no worries but not much you can do about a glass skull.
Anyhoo looks like we’re going to take care of the big fella and he’ll still be at the club for a while.
Sad it didn’t work out.

While he hasn't played a huge number of games, I can't help but feel this kid deserves his own thread.

There was a heap of debate leading up to the 2014 draft about who we should take but McCartin was the right call.

Membrey came in as a DFA, Bruce had yet to play forward & so it was Roo or bust inside 50.

Paddy showed plenty of talent in his limited game time. He was clunking marks all over, busting packs and seriously putting a hurt on teams.

His first half against Collingwood a couple of years ago, including kicking a set shot with a broken collarbone, was the stuff we were all hoping for out of the #1 pick.

If this was the 90's then Paddy would probably have 80 odd games to his name and a reputation as one of the hardest men in footy. Jono Brown 2.0

But we know more now. We know that quality of life needs to come first. We know that the damaged caused by concussions is, mostly, irreparable.

So while we would love to salivate over a line up of King & Membrey with a fit and in form Paddy McCartin getting the 3rd best defender he and the club have made the right call.

Paddy can now go and get the best medical help for his situation free from the pressure of expectation.

With the new signing and pre season list rules I'd love to see him make a successful comeback in 2, 3... 5 years time.

But if he never pulls the boots on again then all parties can still hold themselves with pride knowing that every possible avenue has been exhausted.

Bigfooty needs a crying emoji 😭

How did one man cop so many head knocks? I never saw him play that much. Did he somehow play in such a way his head was in the firing line, or just bad luck?
Bit of both mate. Our mids generally kicked the ball over his head so he was backing into packs which defs wouldn’t have helped.

All the best for the future Paddy. Unfortunately you've had "Saints Luck" since being our great hope for the future. Nobody could have imagined how unlucky you were going to be in your short time in the game.

Yes your dreams and fellow saints supporters dreams also may have been crushed after today's news that you may not play the game again... But new dreams start to develop in the darkest of times and once we get through those times we dare to dream again and we realise that the most important thing in life is life itself.

I know from a similar situation in my life. Sports are just that...... Sports.
Living a long and healthy life risk free is more important than running out over the white line each week and risking it all.

Hopefully you can get yourself a gig in a footy department somewhere because you have a very good footy IQ and can help to develop dreams of the future stars of the game

Last edited:
One of the more unfortunate footy stories. Really glad to see that he's listened to the experts, and working with the club to give himself the best chance of being functional in life, and in footy, if not on the field itself. Talk of a coaching role with Sandy, and an ambassadorial role around diabetes/concussion is highly appropriate, in my opinion.

May he have a long association with the club.

Bit of both. Pretty reckless and didn't have a great technique to protect himself when going for groundballs or pack marks but also copped a couple of stray knocks.

Really good young fella, one of footys saddest stories if he never reaches the heights which he is capable of.
Just wanted to pop in and say how much respect StKFC has earned, first of all looking after Steven then the way they’re looking after Paddy.
Karma - it may suck right now, but hopefully it comes around your way in the future. Kudos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel so sorry for Paddy. I never had the privilege of meeting him but just seemed such a lovely fella. I hope he can recover and live a long healthy life.

Good luck mate

Really good young fella, one of footys saddest stories if he never reaches the heights which he is capable of.
Just wanted to pop in and say how much respect StKFC has earned, first of all looking after Steven then the way they’re looking after Paddy.
Karma - it may suck right now, but hopefully it comes around your way in the future. Kudos.

We’re Saints supporters, we know there’s no such thing as karma. Sorry we drafted you Paddy, you could have had a long and healthy career elsewhere.

Whilst I disagree his selection was the right call, the reason he did get selected was mostly down to his determination and application during his draft year to put himself into the reckoning, and that's what I'm happy to focus on at this time.

Although fate conspired against Paddy, he can retire content that he did absolutely give it his best shot and earned his chance, not every player can say that.

I wish him much better luck from here on in, and with similar application I'm sure he'll make the most of his post playing career.

I hope he doesn't bear a grudge against the club, who have acted superbly throughout his troubles, and that he remains a Saint at heart.

Thanks Paddy!

We’re Saints supporters, we know there’s no such thing as karma. Sorry we drafted you Paddy, you could have had a long and healthy career elsewhere.

I very much doubt that being drafted to the Saints had an impact on his career.

Maybe if he ended up at the Giants or Demons then he could have had a few years of development to change his game style a little more but ultimately he was a pack busting deep forward option.

Collisions were going to be a part of his game and, unfortunately, his brain was highly susceptible to concussion injuries.

I very much doubt that being drafted to the Saints had an impact on his career.

Disagree, we should have realised the luck of the Saints would hit him. That said, if we'd drafted Petracca he would have proved to have an incurable genetic condition which caused him to put on a kilo every time he exercised. He would have already retired weighing about 180.

The bloke had talent and was a natural FF the game has seen over the last since Fev/Gehrig. Crashed packs and was a great mark! Had a very very good footy brain as well and knew when and were to lead.

So unfortunate to have his career cut short by concussion injuries.

All the best in whatever he decides to do.

Ohh and even after all that, he was still the correct choice as No.1 pick based on talent and potential.

Very sad situation!
Just curious why he retired/delisted with the chance of coming back (I read) rather than be moved to the Rookie List with the promise of no game time?

Very sad situation!
Just curious why he retired/delisted with the chance of coming back (I read) rather than be moved to the Rookie List with the promise of no game time?
Cos he's basically got no chance of coming back. 8 concussions in 3 years and he hasn't been able to train for 18 months without symptoms. Gets symptoms walking around a busy shopping centre even...

Cos he's basically got no chance of coming back. 8 concussions in 3 years and he hasn't been able to train for 18 months without symptoms. Gets symptoms walking around a busy shopping centre even...
Ah, ok - so the article saying he's a chance to be re drafted is total guess work

In that case, I hope he can carve out a great career in a role at the Saints, in any department and can get to a point where he can enjoy a kick with a mate in the park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back