Toast Thank you Paddy McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Gangnam Saint

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unfortunately he is surplus to requirements now. Literally needs everything to go right for him to realise his potential which is far too risky for us.
Wish him all the very best, it is a massive shame.
Love the guy.

May 3, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’d rather us be the ones to find out if he will carve out any sort of career at the level or not, as slight as that chance may be. At this stage, he’s been a “bust” for us anyway, so the only way is up, no?
Give him 2021 on the list, “returning to footy” in the reserves (who/wherever that may be...), and track his progress.
Ryder is done end of 2021 from memory? Marshall has done his learning and craft under him, becomes #1 ruck again. Max, Paddy, Skunk and the smalls.
Or, his return doesn’t materialise, and what has it cost us? Probably not a great deal?

Something to think about. Plenty of time for that these days.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’d rather us be the ones to find out if he will carve out any sort of career at the level or not, as slight as that chance may be. At this stage, he’s been a “bust” for us anyway, so the only way is up, no?
Give him 2021 on the list, “returning to footy” in the reserves (who/wherever that may be...), and track his progress.
Ryder is done end of 2021 from memory? Marshall has done his learning and craft under him, becomes #1 ruck again. Max, Paddy, Skunk and the smalls.
Or, his return doesn’t materialise, and what has it cost us? Probably not a great deal?

Something to think about. Plenty of time for that these days.

2021:

XXX HOWARD XXX
XXX BATTLE XXX
XXX XXX XXX
XXX SKUNK XXX
XXX PADDY WINX

ROMA XXX XXX

Roma and Winx swap ruck / fwd.

Hand us the cup already

* it..I'm all in

all.in.gif

I think if we were interested in persisting with him he’d still be on the list. We moved on from him and I think we’ll stay moved on from him. Not like he ever really showed the pay off would be worth it anyway if we’re being honest.

Good luck to him and I hope he makes it but I can’t see his next chance coming with us.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think if we were interested in persisting with him he’d still be on the list. We moved on from him and I think we’ll stay moved on from him. Not like he ever really showed the pay off would be worth it anyway if we’re being honest.

Good luck to him and I hope he makes it but I can’t see his next chance coming with us.
Even though he isnt on the list, he is still in at the club multiple times a week, attended meetings, has a training plan from the club and started training with the rehab group before the shut down. Suggests we haven't moved on from him and are still somewhat interested in him being involved with the club in some capacity.

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
One knock and he’ll be done . Not worth the bad publicity and scrutiny on the club . Bad luck and typical of our luck . Number 1 in the worst year of number 1’s probably in 20 years . A safe spot working for the local council will do

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've been liking a lot of these posts based on the semi romantic notion of Paddy coming back and being close to the player we all wanted him to be. Particularly myself, as I just couldn't bring myself to write him off without the guy getting some consistency.

The reality is something pretty different though isn't it?

The chances are that he will get concussed again.A concussion every 4 games is not an enviable statistic. The odds of them being reversed is incredibly slim.
I'd love for the bloke to come in as a rookie, play some games at full forward and kick bags of goals, we could all use that sort of validation as a club, and Paddy could certainly use some for himself. Similarly, we could all do with a bit of good fortune and publicity.

But the reality man...the reality.

Last edited:

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
He is a forward. Seen nothing close to elite when kicking for goal. Anyway I hope he is healthy and makes it as an AFL footy player wherever that is
So many forwards can't kick for goal these days. His field kicking is great.

I know we have had this debate before but in my eyes he clearly had issues dealing with his diabetes and getting fit, had the tools to be very good there is no doubt for me. This idea that he was a dud or average is very overstated, he showed that he would have been a great player if he'd been able to get fit. He finally looked like he was getting there before the final concussion.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
So many forwards can't kick for goal these days. His field kicking is great.

I know we have had this debate before but in my eyes he clearly had issues dealing with his diabetes and getting fit, had the tools to be very good there is no doubt for me. This idea that he was a dud or average is very overstated, he showed that he would have been a great player if he'd been able to get fit. He finally looked like he was getting there before the final concussion.
Great player? That is completely overrated. Great players have elite skills. He showed he was a young forward. I’m still not sure we can use diabetes but if we do then it was a poor pick. He has had it for years. We should have done more work if that is effecting him. Jamie Cripps got diabetes 10 weeks before being drafted. He seems fit enough and he had to start managing it basically when he was drafted. I hope paddy makes it but the way he plays he seems more suited to the 80’s than now. The main thing is his health. Hope he makes sure he has as little hope of getting concussion like anyone else and more importantly if he gets one it’s the same as anyone else.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its an absolute NO from me, just because I think the kid is a serious head clash from long term damage. IMO if the AFL are doing their duty of care they should block him from playing at any level again.
This is really what it comes down to.
He shouldn't be allowed to play, end of story.

But if he does, we will take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
Obviously it's a polarising topic. Nobody wants to see his long term health placed at risk just to kick a pig skin around. I'm sure he's in very good hands and I just hope the best for him, whatever that is.

But if he's to play, i want him in RW&B

May 3, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Obviously it's a polarising topic. Nobody wants to see his long term health placed at risk just to kick a pig skin around. I'm sure he's in very good hands and I just hope the best for him, whatever that is.

But if he's to play, i want him in RW&B
I should have prefaced my other post in saying that his health is obviously the main thing and my line of thinking was based on expert medical clearance for a return. If he gets that, then I hope we’re the ones to find out is all!

Keg on legs

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
I should have prefaced my other post in saying that his health is obviously the main thing and my line of thinking was based on expert medical clearance for a return. If he gets that, then I hope we’re the ones to find out is all!

No need to preface it mate. Whether people do or don't want to pick him up, everyone agrees his health is first and foremost.

i cant support him coming back to the sport even with a medical clearance

i know dr's know more than all of us and we should support him if he gets clearance

but it just doesn't sit right with me, given how easily he was concussed last time and how long he was out for

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its an absolute NO from me, just because I think the kid is a serious head clash from long term damage. IMO if the AFL are doing their duty of care they should block him from playing at any level again.
From an OHS perspective the right decision would be to protect him from himself.

Be interesting to see what happens.
Brayshaw at Melbourne was in the same position as Paddy but he turned the corner.
Pickens at the doggies in the same boat but being towards the end if his career he took the correct option and retired.
I'm sure Paddy will have to get a full medical clearance to play . so it won't be a rash decision.
I don't blame him for having one last crack at it. That doesn't necessarily mean I agree with him playing again . But I'm thinking like a concerned parent, he'd be thinking like somebody wanting to follow a lifelong passion so if he gets full medical clearance I would understand why he would try 1 last time.
But if he ever has a repeat of any of the symptoms ( even mildly) I hope he then retires immediately.

Last edited:

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
We're screwed either way, knowing us. Sign for us and he'll probably play one game. Sign for the Cats and he'll end up a premiership hero.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back