Toast Thank you Travis Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You came to this club as the "3rd time lucky" father/son and immediately set out to see how far you could sink that boot into the footy from outside 60m

A big kid who lost the blonde tips and grew into an uber-beast, wrestling with defenders, wrestling with words (behind the smoke and windows) and wrestling with our sanity when your kicking GPS was off.

You provided tears of joy when you nailed those impossible shots from the pocket. You provided tears of grief when you missed from INSIDE THE SQUARE.

You performed like a top-shelf forward in our recent Grand Finals. You gave rise to the legend of Smally the Pony and you showed a coy, boyish side with The Beaks and even bit parts in Neighbours.

We're going to miss you big fella. For good times and bad you've been a mighty competitor and you are a favourite son always because you're a premiership player.

Good luck with the rest of your career.

P.S. Perty says you owe $4,589.50 in overdue parking fees.

Ketchup

Cancelled
May 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Aberdeen FC
Thanks Travis. thanks for the memories of holding the club for ransom and not having the courage to turn up to a best and fairest because of a few boos!

Cya at the G, look forward to marking your points in my record.

Congrats to Cloke extending his career with the usual caveat that he never beat his old club.
Helped to bring us a Flag after an eternity in the wilderness and part of what was one of the most dynamic forward lines in the comp or a few years.
A credit to himself and the club.
His true worth to the club at his peak will endure long after the last few fallow season are forgotten.

Beautifully written The Sherriff
Thank you for acknowledging his great contribution to our Club, and for starting this thread.

It will be weird without him running around for us next year.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Well done Big Fella. Hope the last couple of years is good to you Clokey. Thanks for your work carrying our forward line for so long.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good luck and have fun at the kennel.
Wish you well, except when you play against us.

ps any guy that loves animals like he does, can't be all that bad

mocamagic

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
G
You came to this club as the "3rd time lucky" father/son and immediately set out to see how far you could sink that boot into the footy from outside 60m

A big kid who lost the blonde tips and grew into an uber-beast, wrestling with defenders, wrestling with words (behind the smoke and windows) and wrestling with our sanity when your kicking GPS was off.

You provided tears of joy when you nailed those impossible shots from the pocket. You provided tears of grief when you missed from INSIDE THE SQUARE.

You performed like a top-shelf forward in our recent Grand Finals. You gave rise to the legend of Smally the Pony and you showed a coy, boyish side with The Beaks and even bit parts in Neighbours.

We're going to miss you big fella. For good times and bad you've been a mighty competitor and you are a favourite son always because you're a premiership player.

Good luck with the rest of your career.

P.S. Perty says you owe $4,589.50 in overdue parking fees.

great post sheriff
History will be kinder to Trav than the knockers of recent times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
One of the highlights of watching the pies has been Travis over the years. Fantastic mark. Disappointing in the last few seasons but that doesn't negate what he did. I don't know if I wish him well though. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cloke of old next year and that is not good news for us.

mocamagic

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
I originally wrote this piece below as a season review of 2011
I have taken the liberty of re-posting it here

When future generations of Collingwood supporters read through the Copeland trophy honour roll they will see that Travis Cloke was the winner of the Copeland in 2007 and then 4 years later finished third in 2011. They would no doubt think he had the better year in 2007. What we know as current supporters is that the 2011 version had an infinitely better year as the dominant power forward in the game along the way breaking the "world record" for contested marks and kicking 69 goals (compared to 39 in 2007).
Whilst Cloke had a reasonable 2010, he was continually under scrutiny due to his unreliable kicking for goal. The drawn grand final saw a double miss on the stroke of half time which proved very costly and although he kicked the goal to put us back in front from point blank range he would have felt under some pressure going into the replay. He was unluckily denied a confidence boosting start due to an off the ball incident and had a fairly quiet game overall. The aftermath of the Grand Final saw Essendon make a big play for his services before he eventually signed on for another 2 years.

With Chris Dawes having a flying start to 2011 we suddenly had a pair of key forwards who were the envy of the competition. Cloke's kicking for goal was also significantly better aided by the use of earphones at training to simulate the crowd noise. 5 goals in round 2 against North equalled his PB and he would equal or better this several more times. The ANZAC day clash was on a knife edge early in the final term before Cloke stepped up with a 3 goal burst to silence the Bomber faithful. The Queen's birthday caning of Melbourne saw a 6 goal haul from Cloke who treated the demon defenders like rag dolls.
Our next game against Sydney saw possibly his best individual game with 6 goals 4 against the Swans and a sensational mark on the wing in the last minute as we clung to a 6 point lead. A further dozen marks and 3 goals against the Hawks the next week and suddenly Cloke was the form player and most dominant force in the comp. Against the Blues in round 17 in a vital game after the Heath Shaw suspension, Cloke had 3 goals early in the second term but a run of 4 successive behinds from then on prevented another sensational game. 3 goals 6 against Port in round 20 was another occasion where he did not capitalize fully and make an even stronger run at the Coleman medal. 5 goals against the Lions in round 22 and 4 the week after against Freo had Cloke nicely poised for the finals but a minor knee injury in the round 24 debacle against the cats just took the edge off him leading into the Eagles final.

Cloke had a quiet first final but stepped up in a big way when needed against the Hawks in the preliminary with 11 marks and 3 goals in a low scoring game. The grand final saw Cloke have 3 goals on the board early in the second term before having his influenced curbed. These goals included a couple of the longest goals seen in a grand final for many years.

Overall a huge year for Travis who unfortunately will place more pressure on our salary cap again when he comes out of contract at the end of 2012. When discussing his re-signing at the end of last year he referred to a desire to play under Bucks so we can hopefully look forward to another stellar year next season. Along with his obvious strengths as a big man, Cloke also has great endurance which allows him to get to so many contests, he has a fierce will to win, tackles well and has an excellent team ethic. I have also been very impressed with the way he handles himself in the media.

ThePhantom777

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks for the good memories Clokey.

Clokey.JPG

Attachments

• Clokey.JPG
    Clokey.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 93
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks Travis. thanks for the memories of holding the club for ransom and not having the courage to turn up to a best and fairest because of a few boos!

Cya at the G, look forward to marking your points in my record.
My feelings are a mix of this and the Sherriff's thoughts. I cannot wish him well at a new club due to the manner of his leaving, but I am grateful for his help in securing a premiership, and for providing a decent target at CHF after many years of having no one capable of playing that big man role. I also respect his love of animals.

Last edited:
Well done Clokey.
Premiership player.
Played some awesome footy in 2010-11.
Those contested marks!
Was an important part of our success during that period.
Good luck...but not against the Pies.

Nb I have a feeling, the falling out & subsequent 'free' trade to dogs will come back to haunt us...

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
At his best a ferocious contested marking monster who was almost unstoppable in a one-on-one contest. Immensely strong and a terrific tank for a man his size. Deserved his AA and is a very worthy premiership player.

At his worst an overpaid chronic underperformer and just an awful, awful kick for goal.

I'm grateful for the good stuff and will always have very fond memories of Trav at his best.

Now that he's a Bulldog I wish him nothing but failure. Such is footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back