Toast Thank you Travis Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

donkeyballs

Team Captain
Jul 2, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks for all you gave us trav. As a collingwood premiership player, you'll always be a legend in my eyes. Good luck

Thanks to Trav, and best wishes for the future. He was a beast in his day. Hair wise, he provided much food for thought - and was in peak form - in his 'blonde tips' phase. Always wondered if his Mum put the colour in.:oops:

Anyway, I am not a fan of father/managers, and on that basis am glad to see the back of David Cloke. Saying that, he was determined to extract the best deal for his son, and I understand that too.

Regarding our letting Clokey go, it is apparent that Bucks envisages a forward line of more mobile talls (Moore and White), the obelisk which is Cox (question mark), and the mobile shorter types of which we have accumulated a few but some with questionable injury histories.

For this to work we need a lot to go right in 2017, including player improvement and fitness. It could go either way.

Hopefully he will mentor Boyd and play a role, I am not expecting big things of him, just for him to play his part.

He will always be remembered as a Collingwood premiership player (unless we go back to back).

It seemed to be him falling out with the coach and not Collingwood.

WakeUpPies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Spend the better part of my youth defending this guy. Thought he was going to be special after watching him on Anzac Day in 2005 (?). In the end he helped deliver a premiership for us and that's all you could ask for.

The only real downside the guy had on the field in his prime was his kicking. And it's a real shame. We would have a few more flags if he could kick ... He made me miss Taz's goal kicking!

Best of luck at your new home Trav, looking forward to you out marking opponents and missing from 30.

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was surprised with the number below comparing us with the doggies

Team comparisons: 2016Western BulldogsCollingwood
Inside 50s. 54.8. 51.5
Kicks inside 50s44.9. 42.3
Percentage of inside 50 kicks to target. 74.8%. 75.8%
Offensive efficiency82.5. 91.8
Time in forward half+8:10 mins-0:53 mins
*Stats supplied by Champion Data

Time in forward half is damning and points to a lack of inside 50 pressure.

I was surprised we were comparable on most other measures particularly % of inside 50 kicks to target

Last edited:

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hopefully he will mentor Boyd and play a role, I am not expecting big things of him, just for him to play his part.

He will always be remembered as a Collingwood premiership player (unless we go back to back).

Mate he is no mentor. If he showed an ounce of leadership he would still be at the club.

Not so sure it was just a falling out with the coach. He was very poor.

Will be interesting to see how the doggies play him. I wonder if they play him close to goals to use his strength one out.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
His peak showed a guy who was a true beast, and should've been a dominant CHF for 10+ years (alongside Reiwoldt, Pav, Brown) - and Reiwoldt is probably the best comparison for what I saw, and hoped I could see, in Trav.
His best IMO was better than Reiwoldt - but he lacked the consistency, leadership and willingness to play the team game (particularly as he aged) that make Roo an absolute champion of the game.
Trav was also a victim of circumstance, in that since Rocca left we haven't had another guy who could consistently hold down that KPF position closer to goal (allowing Trav to play his natural game) - and also that after he started getting all the media attention as a dominant forward, his game changed from being that elite running, marking CHF, to being that gorilla F close to goal (that IMO, worked really poorly with the rest of our gameplan/fwd line, because it was always exposed by a 2nd/3rd loose defender) - I don't know how much that was coaching/gameplan, or how much was Trav... but I think that marked the beginning of the end of the peak Travis Cloke.

On the one hand I thank Travis for his time with the Pies, he was a Premiership player with us, and was a great CHF from a very young age. But I alsothink his 2015-16 form showed that we were not gonna see the best of him again, without a complete change in approach (which, despite multiple attempts, he appeared unwilling, or incapable, of doing consistently).

On the other hand, I am annoyed that he forced his way to the current Premiers, and did so by getting the club very little in return. And I will be well pissed off, if suddenly he turns into a guy who shows a willingness to make the changes that Bucks has been constantly trying to get him to make. (And honestly - if he doesn't make those changes, he's not playing more than 5 games for the doggies)

On the other hand, I am annoyed that he forced his way to the current Premiers, and did so by getting the club very little in return. And I will be well pissed off, if suddenly he turns into a guy who shows a willingness to make the changes that Bucks has been constantly trying to get him to make. (And honestly - if he doesn't make those changes, he's not playing more than 5 games for the doggies)

Cant agree with this. The club I am certain was the one who forced his hand here. Collingwood wanted Cloke out and were prepared to do that with very little coming back. Simple case of coach losing faith in a high profile player. It would be no surprise if Cloke does very well at Dogs, if he does it will be more an indictment of us than him.

Also disagree his best was better than Reiwoldt. Clokey always a step down from that level.

Krueger

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cloke is far from finished I think and it will be interesting to see how he performs under a new coach.

Such a shame our premiership stars leave with a bitter taste in their mouths. This clubs administration is appalling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

I reckon you guys promised him a role pre the flag; pride meant you couldn't back out.
He'll be a really good VFL player for you and depth.
He might find western oval quite cold too for training....

I reckon you guys promised him a role pre the flag; pride meant you couldn't back out.
He'll be a really good VFL player for you and depth.
He might find western oval quite cold too for training....

If Bevo can turn Moyd into a gun AA defender in his twilight years, he will have something in mind for Cloke, and yeah if he doesn't deliver he will have a stint in the magoos.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Bevo can turn Moyd into a gun AA defender in his twilight years, he will have something in mind for Cloke, and yeah if he doesn't deliver he will have a stint in the magoos.
Wish them all well.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cloke is far from finished I think and it will be interesting to see how he performs under a new coach.

Such a shame our premiership stars leave with a bitter taste in their mouths. This clubs administration is appalling.

Yes - Mitchell and Lewis feel the same. Hawks administration is a disgrace.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood

If Bevo was that keen on Cloke and had big plans for him, we would have got a pick far higher than 76.
At 76 its no risk to Bevo or WB whether Cloke succeeds or fails.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back