Opinion Thanks Bhilly, I Won’t Boo You!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m not sure if this will be popular, but as disappointed as we all are that Brad is leaving, I think he needs recognition for his career at Fremantle. That’s why it’s an Opinion thread, for all to express their feelings on it.

The thing I admired most about Brad was that he cared. There’s no doubt he worked hard on the field, but what I mean is he thought about the team & cared what was going on with his teammates during the game.

He wasn’t just concerned about his own game.

I remember Sandis & Ballas last game, at 3/4 time he followed RTB around from group to group with arms flailing trying to get his point across. Finally RTB stopped & listened & Brad got to have his say.

This is what you want from all of your players, everyone take responsibility for what’s happening on & off the field. No doubt he learnt that from his time at the Hawks & the best teams have that now & it will be a sorely missed now that he’s left.

I hope that he has instilled this sense of ownership within the squad.

Yeah nah.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Could’ve been a Freo great. 5 more years in Purple. Meh. Hardly done much in a period of rebuilding. 2020 was the year Freo take that next step, and Freo management screwed it with the Ross sacking. Pushed Hill and Langdon out the door easier.
Won’t boo, just he chose to go back and playing in arguably a lower team. Probably content with 3 premierships. Won’t get very far the next 3-5 years

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t boo at games anyway but pretty disappointed in Bradley. When he came to us a few years ago to join his brother in his hometown I never thought he’d be out the door again. Hill and Hill on the wings should’ve been an iconic all-time Freo combination but they never seemed to be on the field together and now Brads gone.

The only thing I'd be more disappointed about than losing Brad Hill after just three years is if he didn't take that massive offer to move back to Victoria.

He is a professional footballer making the most of a short career and I'm glad for him but he isn't just an opposition player anymore, he turned his back on Freo for money.

I'm not going to boo him, I don't boo but if Ethan Hughes runs through him and he is flattened and winded I will think about how that wouldn't have happened if he had stayed here.

I don't wish for him to get injured, or have any media scandals, or his relationship with Sam have troubles.

I want him to have a nice and happy life except for when he plays Freo and if we can beat St Kilda in a final after Brad has been tagged out of the game by our #10 draft pick that would be outstanding.

Tommo

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2003
Freo is where my heart is
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FREO
Neale and Brad are the clearest symptom we have that theres something wrong at our club.

Could be or it could be coincidence, I mean if Brad wasn’t getting the push from the misses, would he have left?
From the outside it appeared that he enjoyed playing here.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but if it was super bad I feel like we would be having more players looking to move, especially the the young guys.
Successful teams also tend to hold on to players so that plays a part too.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
Neale and Brad are the clearest symptom we have that theres something wrong at our club.
Both got paid massive amounts over what we'd offer them. It's actually a good thing.

We're trying to manage the whole list, not pay tonnes of cash to a few players.

An indigenous Australian man has the opportunity to get paid, seriously paid, in a country that passively or actively puts men like him at a significant disadvantage.

He has no obligation to be loyal, this is life-changing. I hate that he's gone, but I genuinely wish him all the best.

Why does his race have to have any involvement in this discussion?

He was paid very well by us for 3 years in his front loaded contract and then when the $$$ dried up he went back to the well like a mercenary even though he was contracted.

He made a five year commitment to us and i think totally dogged us from a salary cap position by taking his bat and ball and pissing off once he had milked his advantage fully. The good think for St Kilda is that he wont do it to them as he wont be worth s**t in 3 years time and knowone will be willing to give him a huge deal again.

Fact of the matter is, we just got the best 2 seasons of footy he will ever play and we sold him at the top of his market so in the end it works out pretty well for us IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 1, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't hate the player hate the game.

You can't blame him for leaving. AFL players have short careers and you'd be stupid to knock back $300-400k per year. That said three years of service isn't enough for gratitude even if you're super likable and have performed well.

I'm sure if we weren't so s**t and had some quality youth coming through it would be different. If our future looked bright and we had a quality culture would have Neale, Hill, Weller and Langdon left? I doubt it.

Hopefully this draft resets us and we become a team full of potential that can give us fans some hope again. Picks 7,10 and Henry gives us the building blocks for a mini re-build on on top of a re-stump that should put us in the right direction.

Hill leaving leaves me wanting to give up but I'm hopeful Jlo can build something. Right now this clubs lacks identify and I will give him time to build some. I hope fans aren't expecting miracles with our list this season. If we finish outside the bottom 4 it will be a good result.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only thing I'd be more disappointed about than losing Brad Hill after just three years is if he didn't take that massive offer to move back to Victoria.

He is a professional footballer making the most of a short career and I'm glad for him but he isn't just an opposition player anymore, he turned his back on Freo for money.

I'm not going to boo him, I don't boo but if Ethan Hughes runs through him and he is flattened and winded I will think about how that wouldn't have happened if he had stayed here.

I don't wish for him to get injured, or have any media scandals, or his relationship with Sam have troubles.

I want him to have a nice and happy life except for when he plays Freo and if we can beat St Kilda in a final after Brad has been tagged out of the game by our #10 draft pick that would be outstanding.
It is a very interesting discussion & I wanted us to be able to have it.

In his situation what would have we all done? He’s already a 3 time premiership player, got to play with his brother & got offered what sounds like around $400-$500k more to play his footy over the next 2 years, then the rest for 3 more.

There’s not many like Pavlich going around & we are so fortunate that he came to our club, but us supporters will always be far more loyal than most players, because for us it’s not our job, but our passion.

Im pissed he’s gone, but I can see & understand why. The intriguing question for me is did the Saints come first or did the girlfriend want to go home first?

If it’s the Saints then I hope they never win another game, but then again I wouldn’t be surprised if Colin Young was already shopping Brad around on the quiet.

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
I’m unlikely to boo him. Seems a nice bloke who gave his all. But if he kicks a winning goal (or even any goal) against us and does a dickheaded thump of the chest whilst kissing his new jumper I may boo more than a little. But I don’t think Bradley would do that.

I’m unlikely to boo him. Seems a nice bloke who gave his all. But if he kicks a winning goal (or even any goal) against us and does a dickheaded thump of the chest whilst kissing his new jumper I may boo more than a little. But I don’t think Bradley would do that.

He's not going to have a passion for the St Kilda jumper, he has a passion for the $$$.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
It is a very interesting discussion & I wanted us to be able to have it.

In his situation what would have we all done? He’s already a 3 time premiership player, got to play with his brother & got offered what sounds like around $400-$500k more to play his footy over the next 2 years, then the rest for 3 more.

There’s not many like Pavlich going around & we are so fortunate that he came to our club, but us supporters will always be far more loyal than most players, because for us it’s not our job, but our passion.

Im pissed he’s gone, but I can see & understand why. The intriguing question for me is did the Saints come first or did the girlfriend want to go home first?

If it’s the Saints then I hope they never win another game, but then again I wouldn’t be surprised if Colin Young was already shopping Brad around on the quiet.
The offer was only 400 to 500K more because he was on the bottom end of a front ended contract.

We got him cheap and if he was on 500 to 600K were paying him cheap for a Doig winner and place getter during the three years he was here. If he was being front loaded and receiving 700 to 800, maybe that was what he was worth and he should have been topped up for the remainder of his contract. I think he would have accepted 800 and not moved if we'd done that.

Also while we were front ending Hill's contract Neale was at the back end of his front ended contract and seriously undervalued as well.

In my opinion it's poor list management.

clivenator26

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2009
Latex Condo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa
I’ll be booing. He is driven by money. Ed I won’t boo, but I think the way the Hill trade happened would have to leave a somewhat salty taste in most Freo fans mouths.

I didn’t think Hill would be as good as he was, I can’t see us playing finals or at least competing legitimately in the next two years.

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
3 premierships by age 23, played with his brother in his home state, had the most lucrative years of his Freo contract and has the security of a 5 year contract on very big money. I will never boo him (unless he directs something at us on field) but I am very disappointed he has left.
My opinion is he took the money as he has achieved almost everything by age 26. Good on him too.

Bush_Chook

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor A Star Wars Fan
Oct 30, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can't blame the fella, just part of the game. Players have fairly short careers so they've got to think of their future/family and capitalize when they can. Wasn't a fan of the people going after his lady on social media, pretty disgusting from our fans. Thought we were better than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back