Opinion Thanks Bhilly, I Won’t Boo You!

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
as someone said before, he was a 3 time premiership player by age 23,
he isn't like Fyfe who is so driven and committed to a goal and club because he's "been there, done that" - footy's just a job to him,
and this contract he got is pretty much the equivalent to winning the lotto,
don't blame him for leaving, but don't respect, support or like him anymore either.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
An indigenous Australian man has the opportunity to get paid, seriously paid, in a country that passively or actively puts men like him at a significant disadvantage.

He has no obligation to be loyal, this is life-changing. I hate that he's gone, but I genuinely wish him all the best.
So being an aboriginal entitles you to be a snake ? I boo Colin Young & the afl for creating this situation. I boo st kilda for undercutting contracted players. I boo freo for front loading all these bloody contracts.

Karma is a bitch, I cant see st kilda getting their moneys worth or brad hill getting any better.
I can see acres stepping up next year.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can't believe any of you are considering booing. I will just be referencing how :fire: his running power is.

tumblr_mwp3ztRAme1t2jw06o1_400.jpg

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
All im saying is, if we keep losing that much talent we aint winning s**t.
I think you are right about their having been problems - as evidenced from a change of CEO, Head Coach and more to come.

But I don't think that had anything to do with Hill leaving. Everything points to his GF getting back to Melbourne with her family and friends, and comfortable to start her own family, plus a massive extra wad of cash for the next 5 years.

Neale on the other hand saw Brisbane successfully get through what we are now doing and decided to jump ship (whilst also earning a bigger contract) rather than stick it out here. It's why I respect Fyfe orders of magnitude more than him but I can see why he did it.

I think we need to accept the past and now move forward - it appears the Board has. JLo, Bell, Garlick etc deserve an opportunity to get the club back on track - I've been relatively impressed so far but we've hardly seen anything yet so won't be making grand statements for a while still.

beelzebob

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Booing an ex player is what you do. No need to get over the top about it but its almost respectful as a nod to give them a boo on the first touch.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
3 premierships by age 23, played with his brother in his home state, had the most lucrative years of his Freo contract and has the security of a 5 year contract on very big money. I will never boo him (unless he directs something at us on field) but I am very disappointed he has left.
My opinion is he took the money as he has achieved almost everything by age 26. Good on him too.

This is pretty much how I feel, except I think he’s making a lifestyle decision to set himself and his partner up for life after football.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
I do believe that he's moving for his partner and not money. He has his mum, brother, other family, a close friendship group including Sonny, the best beaches for his love of bodyboarding all in Perth, as well as a nice house from Dale Alcock. So why would he want to leave?

coldlunch

All Australian
Mar 19, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
So being an aboriginal entitles you to be a snake ? I boo Colin Young & the afl for creating this situation. I boo st kilda for undercutting contracted players. I boo freo for front loading all these bloody contracts.

Karma is a bitch, I cant see st kilda getting their moneys worth or brad hill getting any better.
I can see acres stepping up next year.
I consider myself a pretty passionate footy fan, more than most people , but I cannot fathom being so invested as to have this sort of bitterness.

Brad's a 26-year old guy with three premierships and a long-term partner he probably wants to see achieve her own goals too. if moving cities and collecting a significantly bigger paycheck helps keep them happy, then why not. he's not a "snake" and he won't be looking back in 10 years regretting making you or any other random stranger upset. if his actual closest friends and teammates don't resent him leaving, you can probably manage to get over yourself.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I dont have animosity towards Lachie Neale. Also I don't have any animosity towards Brad Hill Either. we got at least something in return when both blokes left.

Yes, he is going to the Saints partially because of the money. We gave him $500,000 a year for 5 years. $700,000 on the 1st 2 years, $500,000 on the 3rd year, $300,000 on the last 2 years had he stayed.

Saints offered a lot of money. $900,000 a year for 6 years. That makes him 32 years old when that is all said and done. His lady is from Victoria too.

Again I have no animosity or hard or negative feelings towards Brad hill. I refuse to lower my self to some of the saints fans standards. Some saints fans constantly unleashed venom on freo because Ross Lyon joined freo. Some of them took it personally and Called Ross Lyon a mercenary dog.

I refuse to Call Brad hill one. If he declined all that cash, someone else would be happy to take his spot. As someone posted, its like tearing up a Lottery ticket.

Ironic saying this..... As I Said, in that Gloria Estefan song, cuts both ways...

Some of you dockers fans are upset that Brad Hill left and took the money. What about his Brother Stephen Hill? I posted my thoughts on the Hill Brothers board. Despite his recent injuries, I am happy, he signed for 2 more years. I am glad Stephen Hill is loyal to us.

I was upset, some of you dockers fans wanted Stephen Hill gone due to his injuries, yet some of you guys forgot about the previous 10 years he was served us.

I wish Brad Hill the Best.

Aug 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I dont have animosity towards Lachie Neale. Also I don't have any animosity towards Brad Hill Either. we got at least something in return when both blokes left.

Yes, he is going to the Saints partially because of the money. We gave him $500,000 a year for 5 years. $700,000 on the 1st 2 years, $500,000 on the 3rd year, $300,000 on the last 2 years had he stayed.

Saints offered a lot of money. $900,000 a year for 6 years. That makes him 32 years old when that is all said and done. His lady is from Victoria too.

Again I have no animosity or hard or negative feelings towards Brad hill. I refuse to lower my self to some of the saints fans standards. Some saints fans constantly unleashed venom on freo because Ross Lyon joined freo. Some of them took it personally and Called Ross Lyon a mercenary dog.

I refuse to Call Brad hill one. If he declined all that cash, someone else would be happy to take his spot. As someone posted, its like tearing up a Lottery ticket.

Ironic saying this..... As I Said, in that Gloria Estefan song, cuts both ways...

Some of you dockers fans are upset that Brad Hill left and took the money. What about his Brother Stephen Hill? I posted my thoughts on the Hill Brothers board. Despite his recent injuries, I am happy, he signed for 2 more years. I am glad Stephen Hill is loyal to us.

I was upset, some of you dockers fans wanted Stephen Hill gone due to his injuries, yet some of you guys forgot about the previous 10 years he was served us.

I wish Brad Hill the Best.
Ive got more against Neale is anything. That was a s**t move, gonig to a club virtually in the same spot as we are. Brad has already done it all really so it doesnt hurt as much. Im surprised playing and training with his brother wasnt a bigger draw card.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I think its pretty clear he wanted to leave for his missus but then the final nail in the coffin was the godfather offer the Saints gave him.

It would be completely bonkers of our list management to even think of matching that offer so fair enough he goes, we could really use him on our wing next season but other teams have made it through adversity so we can too, look at GWS, they lose players every year, if we want to be a good club we will get through it.

Jul 20, 2018
Fck him. Took his money and left, that’s all he’s motivated by. Always felt he was a smug little ***, and thought he was above the club. Ever since they took the leadership off him, I felt this would happen.

In saying this, would I have taken the money - possibly. But I would have asked freo to try match it as much as possible first.

What’s the dumb ass doing anyway thinking of settling down in his 20’s. Will be single in 8 months, book mark it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only part of it that doesn't sit well with me is if a contract is front loaded there should be an expectation to see out the rest of the contract or pay back the difference, otherwise it's having your cake and eating it too.

But otherwise within a flawed socioeconomic world that favours certain demographics attaining financial and social privileges over others, Any means Hill utilizes to leverage the system to work in his favour has my blessing, in fact he would be stupid not to.

Megalon

Skills pay the bills
Jun 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can't blame the guy, offered big dollars and sets him and his missus up in Melbourne for the future + starting a family.

Thanks for the effort he gave playing in purple, but as from now I'm indifferent to him.

Carson Dial

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m not sure if this will be popular, but as disappointed as we all are that Brad is leaving, I think he needs recognition for his career at Fremantle. That’s why it’s an Opinion thread, for all to express their feelings on it.

The thing I admired most about Brad was that he cared. There’s no doubt he worked hard on the field, but what I mean is he thought about the team & cared what was going on with his teammates during the game.

He wasn’t just concerned about his own game.

I remember Sandis & Ballas last game, at 3/4 time he followed RTB around from group to group with arms flailing trying to get his point across. Finally RTB stopped & listened & Brad got to have his say.

This is what you want from all of your players, everyone take responsibility for what’s happening on & off the field. No doubt he learnt that from his time at the Hawks & the best teams have that now & it will be a sorely missed now that he’s left.

I hope that he has instilled this sense of ownership within the squad.
I’ll boo his partner...soft

Megalon

Skills pay the bills
Jun 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only part of it that doesn't sit well with me is if a contract is front loaded there should be an expectation to see out the rest of the contract or pay back the difference, otherwise it's having your cake and eating it too.

Not sure the player should pay back the difference immediately, more like the new club should pay it back because of a condition of breaking the contract early. This might mean that Hill would have been paid $700k in his first year by the Saints, with $200k coming back to Freo, or something like that. Not sure if anything like that is allowed within AFL rules?

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's something about the whole thing that has never sat right with me. Normally when a partner wants to go back there might be a reveal of a non-specific family matter, this is also used to elicit collective sympathy.. 'well if his Mrs favourite aunt who partly raised her isn't doing too well we should forgive him..'

But nothing, and my tomato sauces can't be any more clearer than to say she just misses friends and family. She may not have lived here forever but she had a support network that miners wives don't get when they cross over the nullabor.

Bhilly's family is extensive and I can assure you many of them need him here as a role model or support figure, there's a heap of good he could do here in his community.

Maybe I'm a bit jaded as I love my nyoongar players and they're so vitally needed here, and I've got a couple of friends in similar situations with their partner and it's completely one-sided and self-serving. He's trying to do the right thing, but in your 20s it can be difficult to know if the other person is doing the same.

Back