Opinion Thanks Bhilly, I Won’t Boo You!

Remove this Banner Ad

Torree

Premium Platinum
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
It almost ended up that Brad instead of coming to play with his brother he played FOR his brother. If Shilly is back up and running this season then I'm good with that.

A good lesson for the club with Hill leaving coinciding with TK choosing the Eagles. If there's a talented player with x-factor in your backyard take a chance on them *cough*Elijah Taylor*cough*. We had 3 picks in the top 30 before Brad was chosen at #33 by the Hawks. He didn't owe us anything and gave his all while he was here leaving us with the No.10 pick and two replacement wingers. Sure I wish he'd stayed but I won't be booing him. Maybe a little in jest, once.

Jan 30, 2012
Midnight Sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
Players are entitled to chase the $$$. Hill is entitled to make as much money as possible in his playing career - although It wouldve been nice if he remained at Fremantle. If you look at it from a trading perspective the club has absolutely milked the living s**t out of the Chris Mayne compo pick.

I don't understand the posts about BHIll's race. It has nothing to do with a player trade. Identity politics is cancer.

I won't boo him. He seems like a good bloke. I just hope he doesn't shred us us too much on field.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good luck to him, I have no animosity. This is 2019, he’s not the first player to not honour a contract and he won’t be the last. He’s going to pocket at least $2M more over the next five years by switching clubs.

To everyone saying he’s a dog - what would you do if you were at work and a competitor offered you nearly double the salary to do the exact same job for them? Loyalty is a good trait but a footy career is ten to fifteen years max and these guys can set themselves up for life by making these decisions.

We are all die-hard Freo supporters but the players are employees at the end of the day. This is how they feed their families now and after they finish their careers. Good for Brad, let’s move on and embrace our two new wingmen instead of crying over spilled milk.

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't understand the posts about BHIll's race. It has nothing to do with a player trade. Identity politics is cancer.

You don't understand because Identity politics doesn't affect you. It's an abstract concept that exists outside your immediate surroundings, something you only know of because you read about it in the news, probably attributing it to millenial nonsense on tumblr.

For Hill identity politics is a tangible reality that affects his life in concrete ways every day. When decisions involve financial opportunity, inherent socioeconomic inequality absolutely is a consideration.

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've seen into the future. Fremantle wins the 2021 premiership and Brad will miss out on becoming a legend in his home state forever. Would he care?...I doubt it. If after his career finishes and the coin dries up...he finds his girl moves on to greener pastures...he might. I won't boo but every time he goes near the ball, I will try to repress my resentment towards his decisions to skim the cream and leave the watery milk.

Last edited:

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I don't see any legitimate reason to boo a player unless they're an actual bad human being (committed heinous crimes or said some shitty things), it's pointless and I guarantee 99% of people talking s**t about Brad wouldn't say any of it to his face, why? Because it's easier for them to say it from behind the keyboard or from the boundary. They wouldn't have the balls to say it to him in person. He was a good player for us, like Neale. He took the bigger pay day, like any of us would, and he gives a damn about his relationship. I certainly won't be booing him, but I know people will. Was at the Brisbane game this year and it was ******* appalling hearing Neale get booed, it annoyed me to the point that I just ended up cheering whenever he got the ball.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
I don't see any legitimate reason to boo a player unless they're an actual bad human being (committed heinous crimes or said some shitty things), it's pointless and I guarantee 99% of people talking s**t about Brad wouldn't say any of it to his face, why? Because it's easier for them to say it from behind the keyboard or from the boundary. They wouldn't have the balls to say it to him in person. He was a good player for us, like Neale. He took the bigger pay day, like any of us would, and he gives a damn about his relationship. I certainly won't be booing him, but I know people will. Was at the Brisbane game this year and it was ******* appalling hearing Neale get booed, it annoyed me to the point that I just ended up cheering whenever he got the ball.
Take the money. Ok. But pay back the front loaded part of your contract.
The afl have created a situation where players can snake their team & clubs can undercut other clubs. Player managers carry on like ******* real estate agents.
The games lost a little bit of its heart & soul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
You don't understand because Identity politics doesn't affect you. It's an abstract concept that exists outside your immediate surroundings, something you only know of because you read about it in the news, probably attributing it to millenial nonsense on tumblr.

For Hill identity politics is a tangible reality that affects his life in concrete ways every day. When decisions involve financial opportunity, inherent socioeconomic inequality absolutely is a consideration.

Either my brain is more jet-lagged than I thought, or identity politics doesn't mean what you think it does. Or both.
And as for Hill, to paraphrase our dearly departed coach, you sook your way in and you sook your way out.

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Either my brain is more jet-lagged than I thought, or identity politics doesn't mean what you think it does. Or both.
And as for Hill, to paraphrase our dearly departed coach, you sook your way in and you sook your way out.

Refers to marginalized groups and the assertion + advocacy (politics) that they face inequality and injustice. What did you think it means?

Square Peg

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Refers to marginalized groups and the assertion + advocacy (politics) that they face inequality and injustice.

That's not identity politics, otherwise Martin Luther King was preaching identity politics.

In identity politics, the end point is maintenance of your diversity/separation. Your homogenous group identity should not be compromised and is more powerful than being part of a heterogenous, societal whole. It's predicated on the idea that marginal groups can't truly advance by being part of white/male/cis society as that society will always consume them and maintain it's dominance. So you either tear dominant society down or you co-exist separately from it rather than being part of it.

Brad Hill earning 900K a year playing by the rules in a predominantly white man's league is the antithesis of identity politics.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon BHill's missus was a bit selfish wanting to go back to Melbourne.
I reckon Colin Young was a bit selfish putting the feelers out there so he could earn more commission.
I reckon BHill's a bit selfish for going to another club while under contract for much bigger dollars.
I reckon Freo supporters are being a bit selfish when knocking BHill for going because Freo will be a worse side in 2020 without him.
And I reckon we've probably all got a good case to argue that we are right to think the way we do ... all of us, his missus, Colin Young, BHill and us supporters.
Build a bridge and move on.

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's not identity politics, otherwise Martin Luther King was preaching identity politics.

In identity politics, the end point is maintenance of your diversity/separation. Your homogenous group identity should not be compromised and is more powerful than being part of a heterogenous, societal whole. It's predicated on the idea that marginal groups can't truly advance by being part of white/male/cis society as that society will always consume them and maintain it's dominance. So you either tear dominant society down or you co-exist separately from it rather than being part of it.

Brad Hill earning 900K a year playing by the rules in a predominantly white man's league is the antithesis of identity politics.

What?

"separation" as an integral motivation is not listed in any description of identity politics in any source I could find. I'm really curious where you got your definition from because it's pretty left field. Identity politics pretty simply is the political position of a marginalized community faces injustice, and your attitudes and policies are supportive of bridging this gap, and by some definitions even to the detriment of the greater majority.

If you want to get nuanced with Martin Luther King yes in a way you can interpret his politics of combating racism and inequality by abolishing the borders of social groups, i.e. breaking down African American identity to simply skin colour as to then not be judged by it. This is opposed to advocating equality and acceptance of cultural and social groups for what they are, and excepting individuals regardless of their differences, instead of erasing them.

A lot of feminists take this approach, i.e. break down sexism by destroying and rejecting feminine identity. Combating misogyny by assuming a masculine identity. This is problematic in my opinion but another topic.

Identity politics though semantics aside is fighting for equal rights for your social group, and pertinently advocating for respect and equal rights for your social identity, rather than assimilate. But how does this relate to my first comment, and also how is Hill rooting the system ergo causing detriment to the majority (white dudes on the internet and AFL suits) for physical resources otherwise denied to his social group antithetical to identity politics?

Last edited:

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I reckon BHill's missus was a bit selfish wanting to go back to Melbourne.
I reckon Colin Young was a bit selfish putting the feelers out there so he could earn more commission.
I reckon BHill's a bit selfish for going to another club while under contract for much bigger dollars.
I reckon Freo supporters are being a bit selfish when knocking BHill for going because Freo will be a worse side in 2020 without him.
And I reckon we've probably all got a good case to argue that we are right to think the way we do ... all of us, his missus, Colin Young, BHill and us supporters.
Build a bridge and move on.
Yes indeed. I also have some optimism that we improve from the trade.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
What?

"separation" as an integral motivation is not listed in any description of identity politics in any source I could find. I'm really curious where you got your definition from because it's pretty left field. Identity politics pretty simply is the political position of a marginalized community faces injustice, and your attitudes and policies are supportive of bridging this gap, and by some definitions even to the detriment of the greater majority.

If you want to get nuanced with Martin Luther King yes in a way you can interpret his politics of combating racism and inequality by abolishing the borders of social groups, i.e. breaking down African American identity to simply skin colour as to then not be judged by it. This is opposed to advocating equality and acceptance of cultural and social groups for what they are, and excepting individuals regardless of their differences, instead of erasing them.

A lot of feminists take this approach, i.e. break down sexism by destroying and rejecting feminine identity. Combating misogyny by assuming a masculine identity. This is problematic in my opinion but another topic.

Identity politics though semantics aside is fighting for equal rights for your social group, and pertinently advocating for respect and equal rights for your social identity, rather than assimilate. But how does this relate to my first comment, and also how is Hill rooting the system ergo causing detriment to the majority (white dudes on the internet and AFL suits) for physical resources otherwise denied to his social group antithetical to identity politics?

No doubt we could carry on the disagreement for many more pages but only you and I would be interested, so I'll leave it. To keep it on topic, Brad Hill:
Dead to me

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
He played 54 games for the club, why are people acting like he gave us great service? He came in, got paid and left. Good for him but he is far from someone that “bleeds purple”. Will almost certainly play more games for two other clubs than he did for us.
Sadly, could've played 150. But hey his legacy. Didn't draft him in 2011, even though he was a pick 33. We picked Crozier, Forster and Sheridan before him. So bit of a lose-lose in the end. Worked out for him though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back