Universal Love Thanks Birch

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed to join Brisbane today as an unrestricted free agent. Goes with four premierships and 248 games under his belt. Record your appreciation here.

Love the bloke as a player and brisbane is getting a great clubman which will only improve those around him and help with their current trajectory as a club. Good luck Birch, thanks for the service.

An absolute rock at the back during the three-peat. Gonna miss him a lot. Great player, great bloke, great person to have around a club like the Lions.
All the best in Brissy and hopefully we see you back around the club in one way or another

Perhaps he was insulted at only being offered a one year rookie contract by us (which I’m assuming is bargain basement wages).
Will be interesting to see what Brisbane offered him contract length wise.
Regardless, a fine clubman and player for us, we’ll miss his precision out of defence. Never a great overhead mark for his size but he had the skills of a smaller player.
Well played Birch.

The last of our 4 time premiership players gone. Interestingly only Cyril & Roughead ended their careers at Hawthorn.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yep, I'm a little fed up with watching our stars end their careers at others clubs …. Franklin, Mitchell, Lewis, Hill, Hodge and now Birchall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to see Grant Birchall take an opportunity up north. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him and if he can back to anywhere near his best Brisbane will have a very attacking half back line with Birchall and Rich. Sadly, he didn't get to 250 games at the club and without the injury(s) he could have been a member of a select group of 300 gamers for the club.

Happy to see Grant Birchall take an opportunity up north. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him and if he can back to anywhere near his best Brisbane will have a very attacking half back line with Birchall and Rich. Sadly, he didn't get to 250 games at the club and without the injury(s) he could have been a member of a select group of 300 gamers for the club.
Another great of the club played around the same amount of games the big Dipper. Doesn't diminish his career with us would have got to 300 easily if not for the last couple of years.

Got no problems seeing Birch make the best decision for himself.

Understandable that the club was only offering 1 year, potentially a rookie contract, due to Birch's injury history

It's a shame seeing such decorated servants of the club leaving when they may have more to give, but at the same time if Hawthorn thought it was very important to keep Birch, I'm sure we would've done so.

Gun player at his peak, one of the best kicks I've ever seen. One of the fabled left footers too, and also could be said that he helped revolutionize the rebound/intercepting back flanker position.

Really loved Birchall in our backline. a few things I remember specifically about him -
1. Going straight through the middle of Stokes in the middle of the MCG (2013 prelim I think)
2. Having a massive crack at Franklin in the 2014 GF after Franklin took a dive when Gibbo collected him late
3. His game in Tassie against Freo where he had almost 40 touches and went at 100% K/E for the game. Kicked a goal that day too I think

Best of luck Birch. Great clubman and tougher than two cats heads put together

Happy for Birch. Sad to see him go, but he's delivered as much as he could to our club and he'll get a better payday, and maybe even another flag up there.

Yep, I'm a little fed up with watching our stars end their careers at others clubs …. Franklin, Mitchell, Lewis, Hill, Hodge and now Birchall.
Can't have it both ways, trying to poach every A lister that will listen, whilst not expecting players to leave. At least they almost always leave once we've had the best of them...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back