Universal Love Thanks Birch

Remove this Banner Ad

Met him at the Tower Hotel after the Granny win in 2008. Unsure of time, but was very late. He was knocking back beers at the bar, and he still had a missing front tooth from the game. haha Ripping bloke. I used to frequent that place a fair bit, and turns out so did Birch. Genuine bloke, always happy for a chat about the ponies or the hawks.

Oh great. Fages poaches another Hawk star to teach their youngsters how to beat us.

Getting very sick of other clubs poaching our assistants and senior players to improve their cultures and game styles. That being said I say a fond farewell to Birch and his time at Hawks.

I spare a little Salt for his non existent contribution over the last two years.

May you spend as much time on the field over the next two years as you did in the Hawks medical rooms over the last two.

A legend of our football club who gave us so much throughout his career. The line breaking, overlapping runs and booming left foot not to mention that odd dead eye shot for goal.
Forever a HFC champion alongside Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis.
All the best birch, enjoy the sunshine mate you deserve it.

Ripper of a player. Had an awful 2 years with injury and shame we couldn't be his last club.

Showed that he still had more to give this year when he did get on the park. Sad it’s not with us but does deserve to keep his career going elsewhere. All the best, will never forget that raking left boot and the trademark dash off half back.

Was probably one of the first put on the sheet each week by match committee. At his peak he was the definition of dependable, and will be sorely missed. Good on you mate, and prosper up in Brisbane.

With Birch going, and I expect Tim Mohr retiring - no more Tassie players on our list :(

I'll miss Birch. Miss him a lot.

I've said a bit about saving Burgs and JOM but we somehow couldn't save Birch. In saying that I've been bloody angry with our injury management with him compared to guys coming into the club. But do accept perhaps it's been unsolvable time will tell at Brisbane.

But end of the day he's the last one to go of the 08 plus 3peat, so it is in some ways truly the end of an era. He's the youngest and probably the less outspoken and that's compared to non out spoken players who weren't part of that. But he was a very integral part of that and an often underated one.

He was quiet off field, diligent on the field except for Ryan O'Keefe who he for some reason took a disliking too yet didn't too anyone else.

The Clarkson era is over boys and girls at least from 08-15, the 13-15 still lives in Mr Burgoyne. But once/IF he goes we need to start a new dynasty.

Anyway too Birch… Thank-you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy with how we move on respected players to play out their careers at other clubs. As a club we really endeavour to look out for our legends. I also love how we grow the game and help the struggling younger teams in a way we never ourselves got when we were battlers as a younger club.

All the best Birch. You were the best in a great era. Thank you, again and again, and good luck with the Lions mate.

Absolute legend. Will be and has been missed. Its a shame the way it ended at Hawthorn the last few years but he first 10 were so bloody good. Hawk for life.

Very happy with how we move on respected players to play out their careers at other clubs. As a club we really endeavour to look out for our legends. I also love how we grow the game and help the struggling younger teams in a way we never ourselves got when we were battlers as a younger club.

All the best Birch. You were the best in a great era. Thank you, again and again, and good luck with the Lions mate.
Happy for him to move on. Not happy we get nothing in return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back