Universal Love Thanks Cyril, 11 amazing years, One of the greatest Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably hitting me harder than the Hodge news. Just wishing Cyril all the best - I hope he finds happiness back home with his family. Owes us supporters nothing - not sure any other player has delivered what he did in such short amount of games.

Kids would go to the footy just to watch Cyril. He was a rare talent. One of the even more rare talents that didn't need to have the footy to be exciting. How lucky we are to support a Club that had this champ playing for it.

I just hope this retirement isn't like our last high-profile retirement. It was a sad novelty at first, but I've had enough of our champions going to other teams.

Go well Cyril

I'm just happy that I was aliive at the time to watch Cyril play live for us. He is a true Hawthorn Legend.

I'll one day tell stories to my kids (when I have them) and grandkids about a special player named Cyril and all the magical things he could do with ease out on the footy field.

Thank you CYRILLLLLL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many memories.

The goal against * on a Friday night at Etihad where he evaded a bloke coming from behind.

The run down chase on Hutchins in 2015
The effort on the wing in 2008
The rove from buddy in 2008
The Heath Shaw hanger
Taking Tippet to school twice in 2014
The day he played full forward with no buddy or Rough and destroyed Fremantle

Once in a generation player.

Favourite Cyril moment is pretty much the first quarter of the 2015 grand final. He single-handedly ended the Eagles' hopes of a flag in a single quarter of football. Everyone where I was sitting on the day was chanting his name just before the Norm Smith was announced - everyone knew it was his that day. Will long live in my memory.

Also remember seeing him on the big screen in the 2014 grand final getting emotional on the bench and making me feel emotional with him.

Rooke tackle in 08 GF. Steal off Tippett in 14 GF. Run down of Hutchings in 15 GF. Just three of a gazillion examples of Cyril doing Cyril things.

Along with L. Franklin he made footy fun again after we'd endured a long period in the doldrums.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. :)

Late edit: Fittingly he finished on the same number of games for Hawthorn as his biggest fan, one D. Brereton (189).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back