Universal Love Thanks Cyril, 11 amazing years, One of the greatest Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for giving me so much joy going to the footy week in week out for a decade Cyril, sad we didn't get to watch you play 250 times but thankful for the 189 we did get. You're an absolute champion of the game and this footy club. Best of luck with your future life your one of a kind and irreplaceable. Love you Cyril and you will never be forgotten by the Hawthorn faithful.

I’m hurting tonight, sad to see him go. Just hope he’s happy and keeps the positive vibes and love for the HFC. All the best to one of the most gifted and entertaining players of all time. Will be sorely missed. x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shattering news :(

I was harder on Cyril more than most because I'd get frustrated with knowing what he was capable of and wanting to see it all the time!
In 30+ years of watching football I've never seen another player like him, doubt we ever will, the closest comparison I can think of he was Darren Jarman but with s**t loads of pace.
Was capable of the most amazing things and his pressure will never be matched.
Enjoy retirement you little champion you've earned it.

like everyone here i was devastated re mitch, hodge and lewis, but for whatever reason cyril's retirement has hit much harder. im a firm believer that football is all about winning, and god knows rioli contributed more than his fair share in that regard...yet at the same time football is also about moments, where regardless if you won lost or drew, someone on your team did something spectacular that justified your love for the game. few have been better at delivering those moments than rioli.

while i've always felt lucky and privileged to follow such a successful club, today i realised (again) how fortunate i am to have so many finals and grand final DVDs on the bookcase that captured some of those moments from one of the most talented hawks players in my lifetime. Lebbo73.

best wishes to cyril and his family for the future.

Literally shed a few tears at work when i heard the news break on SEN and only partly because we won't see him again.

Mostly I'm sad for Cyril cos he had 3 or 4 more years to give and clearly loves his football but things have transpired where by he has to give up the thing he loves most.

I'm 35 but he is in my top 3 hawks ever and maybe even #1.

I have every single piece of memorabilia of him bar a few pieces I will never be able to afford.

Have never seen a player as good as him yet as humble as him.

A champion person and a phenomenal footballer.

We were truly blessed to have him for 11 years and what he achieved in that time is remarkable given his poor run with injury.

I hope his life after footy treats him as well as his AFL career without the injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cyril is one of the few absolute greats of the last 20 years and was always wonderful to watch. I hope he and his family are ok, first and foremost.

We see far too many 6 foot midfield athletic bots running around and not enough of the real footballer who has undeniable talent. Thank you Cyril for keeping the spirit and enjoyment of the game alive and enjoy the next stage of your life. See you all Saturday.

How lucky we have been to have had Cyril Rioli and Lance Franklin in the same era playing together....
Sad, sad day today as we now have neither.

We may never have another Cyril again, but so thankful we did have him and all that he achieved for our great club, will never ever be forgotten.
Thanks for some of the best memories of all time, and all the excitement and freakish acts of joy you provided us all with.

Missing you heaps already junior boy... :'(

Shattered. We’ve been blessed as hawks fans to support some of the game’s greats in the past decade. Hodge, Mitch, Buddy, Burgoyne with Gibbo, Rough and Lewis not far behind. Hodge is still my favourite of all time but Cyril was the most fun to watch. And fun is what it was. I found myself laughing at some of the things he would do. Brilliant.

I sincerely hope Burgoyne goes on another year, even if he only manages 10 games in 2019. I’m not ready for a Hawthorn squad missing Hodge, Mitchell, Buddy, Lewis, Gibbo, Cyril AND Burgoyne.

Cyril brought great joy to us fans over many years.

Hope he finds the peace in his family that he is retiring to seek.

Thanks for a tonne of great memories.

What an absolute legend...could do anything anytime. Will never forget his efforts in the 08 GF as a kid and all the moments of sheer brilliance and lightning quick reflexes for the last 10 years.

You always felt excited anytime he went near the ball!!!

Thanks you little ripping champion for so much fun over a decade

Cyyyyyyrrrriiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll !!!

Of all the magical things he did, turning the children of of rival teams supporters, into one eyed cyril fanatics was a crowning glory.

At least 4 people commented directly to me how their young children only had eyes for cyril despite their best efforts to pursuade them to follow dads team.

Imagine how many hearts he stole!

Thanks to all who contributed to this fitting thread and you too junior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back