Universal Love Thanks Cyril, 11 amazing years, One of the greatest Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

boys I come in peace !! listen we are hearing chatter about Cyril and the lions , only mumbles but it seems to keep surfacing , I got wind of it 18 months back and it has yet again floated to the surface today. look I don't imagine there is anything in it , cannot imagine him in anything but a hawks jumper and I am sure he is happy in retirement

any word down in Melbourne ?

cheers
Is there a Lions team in Darwin?

EDIT: Maybe this type of Lions club?
https://darwinnightcliff.nt.lions.org.au/

boys I come in peace !! listen we are hearing chatter about Cyril and the lions , only mumbles but it seems to keep surfacing , I got wind of it 18 months back and it has yet again floated to the surface today. look I don't imagine there is anything in it , cannot imagine him in anything but a hawks jumper and I am sure he is happy in retirement

cheers

That is just Damien Barrett being the flog that he is.

Can you imagine the shape Cyril will be in 2020 after nearly 2 years out of the game? Plus he'd be 30.

Should Cyril Rioli continue eating in a caloric surplus of around 500-1000 a day from maintenance, he will gain anywhere between .5-1kg a week.

The way he is travelling, if he is to make a comeback in 2020, he will need to lose about 15kgs in record speed which is tough to do.

It is staggering how much he has gained in the space of just a couple months.

KOLOKOTRONIS

cheers
That’s fine mate, he can choose to play for anyone he wants, but I can’t guarantee anyone that we won’t shoot him in the back of the head!

The next person who says Brisbane/Perth is closer to home for Cyril I’m going to print out flight times from those cities and Melbourne and stapling them to their ******* forehead. Brisbane and Perth are NOT ‘closer to home’ when it comes to transit by plane - they are close to exactly the same.

The next person who says Brisbane/Perth is closer to home for Cyril I’m going to print out flight times from those cities and Melbourne and stapling them to their ******* forehead. Brisbane and Perth are NOT ‘closer to home’ when it comes to transit by plane - they are close to exactly the same.
Mate, you'd be wrong. They are both closer to home in both distance and flight time.
However, I get your point. There is not a lot of difference flight-wise.

When we were in Tully, my mother, who lives in Melbourne, flew to Brisbane, she phoned us and said "I'm coming up to Brisbane, I might be able to pop around for a visit."

She was less than half way.

Melbourne - Brisbane 1375 km
Brisbane - Tully 1694 km

It's a bloody big country.

cheers

Trade would need to happen.

Mate, you'd be wrong. They are both closer to home in both distance and flight time.
However, I get your point. There is not a lot of difference flight-wise.

Average flight time Melbourne to Darwin - 4:25. Average flight time Brisbane to Darwin - 4:20.

Anyone who thinks that Cyril will view Brisbane as ‘closer to home’ when it’s a grand total of ~320km closer and will save him the grand total of 5-15 minutes in the air has more rocks in their head than a quarry.

Not saying he won’t end up at another club as part of a comeback - but his rationale wouldn’t be being closer to home.

Average flight time Melbourne to Darwin - 4:25. Average flight time Brisbane to Darwin - 4:20.

Anyone who thinks that Cyril will view Brisbane as ‘closer to home’ when it’s a grand total of ~320km closer and will save him the grand total of 5-15 minutes in the air has more rocks in their head than a quarry.

Not saying he won’t end up at another club as part of a comeback - but his rationale wouldn’t be being closer to home.
Quite agree but for the sake of accuracy, both Perth and Brisbane ARE closer. Distance would certainly not be a factor in Cyril moving.

Cyril is on mark Howard's podcast next Thursday. Not sure when it was recorded but it's after he retired.

*no one tell Cyril that we don’t have JR anymore :)

3A772AB7-AF1F-478B-833A-EC4ED941C0EE.jpeg
THE good news for Hawthorn is that if Cyril Rioli changes his mind about retirement he will return wearing the brown and gold.

The bad news … he’s highly unlikely to play again with the four-time premiership hero enjoying life too much back in Darwin.

Rioli features on this week’s popular ‘Howie Games’ podcast where he revealed to host Mark Howard that he has no regrets about his decision to quit Hawthorn midway through the season.

On the possibility of a comeback, he said: “I’m pretty happy and content where I am back home, if I were to (return) obviously the Hawks. But I couldn’t really see myself playing anywhere else to be honest.”

The 2015 Norm Smith Medallist explained how turning his back on a lucrative contract wasn’t an issue.

“Money was the last thing on my mind to be honest, I felt like we just wanted to be home, because who cares about the money, we grew up on nothing, or not nothing, but it wasn’t a priority,” Rioli said.

“Getting back to that feeling of just enjoying life, and being happy being home, that’s the main thing and just relaxing. People say I’m crazy but in terms of the next phase of our lives, I wouldn’t be able to do things if I’m down here (Melbourne) and not there.”

He also revealed the near-fatal heart attack which his father suffered last year had put his own life in perspective.

“I questioned a lot of things, it hit home a lot with the family history of heart attacks. In a way, the priorities of life really set after all that sort of stuff.”

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given his immense value and service to the club we allowed Chris Langford to be based in Sydney and train on his own accord. Should put this offer on the table for Cyril. Very least fly him down for late week training. Of course this is a pipe dream but wld allow him to stay in his sweet apartment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back