Toast Thanks Daisy

Remove this Banner Ad

I have really come to love and admire what Dale brings to the Blues and having him forgo his final year of a lucrative deal, to earn a new contract was a fantastic move for yourself and the club. Congratulations on a fantastic career that was filled with many ups and downs. Im glad you get to finish, playing regular, good, football.

I am still baffled by this decision, we have 6 or more players, i would hope, would be shown the door before Dale. Thomas finished 5th in our BandF in 2018 and will probably finish around the same spot, those suggesting he would be just depth next year aren't giving the bloke enough credit.

I really hope this decision becomes clear at trade time, but surely a one year contract on a low wage, with no guarantee of senior football, would have at least given him an option.

Thanks for the effort in the last 2 seasons, has been a standout.

The positive I take out of Daisy going is that (for me) it puts a final FULL STOP on the Malthouse ‘contribution’ to our great football club.

Thanks for the effort in the last 2 seasons, has been a standout.

The positive I take out of Daisy going is that (for me) it puts a final FULL STOP on the Malthouse ‘contribution’ to our great football club.

Have to sakc Cripps then.....

It is not Daisy’s fault the club let go of Betts and took him on significant coin. He was not the player for us that he was at the Pies.

It took a while for Daisy to get going for us, he had a significant injury which did a whole season, he was the subject of a BF whipping boy thread a couple of years ago, I was a big critic at the time.

Good on Daisy for turning it around by playing good footy over the last couple of years to the point no doubt where it became a difficult decision for the club. A deserved 100 game player for us.

The selling candy goal against Pies and his goal in the last quarter in our win over Freo this year (without Crippa) are fantastic highlights.

Triple m were just saying that earlier in the week daisy was told he would get another contract, then a couple of days later that his contract would not be.

Interesting.

Definitely sounds like we are getting the signature of a potential target or targets, rather than a disciplinary thing (unless something new cropped up, which I think is very unlikely)

Hope that those playing on took notice of Daisy over the last couple of years. In dark times he was always trying to have some effect on games, in every moment. Trying for a smother, not giving the oppo an inch on the mark, niggles, spoils to the side of the noggin etc. Everything in his armoury.

He seemed to see that every moment was a possibility to turn possession over, or get some advantage. Would love him to coach that.

Thanks Daisy. All the best. Hope to see you at #17 celebrations.

I have really come to love and admire what Dale brings to the Blues and having him forgo his final year of a lucrative deal, to earn a new contract was a fantastic move for yourself and the club. Congratulations on a fantastic career that was filled with many ups and downs. Im glad you get to finish, playing regular, good, football.

I am still baffled by this decision, we have 6 or more players, i would hope, would be shown the door before Dale. Thomas finished 5th in our BandF in 2018 and will probably finish around the same spot, those suggesting he would be just depth next year aren't giving the bloke enough credit.

I really hope this decision becomes clear at trade time, but surely a one year contract on a low wage, with no guarantee of senior football, would have at least given him an option.

Last paragraph spot on. Never thought I would have said it a couple of years ago, but I am bitterley disappointed with this decision. Mostly because it seems to me just flat-out wrong. He's played AFL every week he has been available, for years. And he will indeed be prominent in the B&F. Dollars are not a concern for the Club (we paid 46 players in 2018 and still didn't reach the minimum threshold for TPP), and based on the circumstances surrounding the renegotiation of Thomas's original contract, they weren't an issue for Daisy either.

The only logical argument that could ever have been made was that we needed his list spot... but we don't! Not if we are farewelling the likes of Pickett, Lobbe, Kerr, Lang, Fasolo, perhaps Garlett, perhaps Schumacher, not to mention the option of shifting Polson to the rookie list whilst paying his 2020 contract. In that context, I can't imagine a draft/trade/free-agent outcome that will justify terminating Thomas... if we do get the young guys going, and he spends the whole of 2020 in the VFL, what have we lost? Development time for a kid taken in the 4th round of the draft? We have O'Dwyer for that.

Finally, if it's a "cultural" decision, then our culture is weaker than I thought. It takes all sorts, and if our plethora of senior cleanskins can't counter the points of difference brought by Thomas, well...

Anyway, well played Dale Thomas. Never gave us less than 100%, even when his body wasn't right, and set new standards for this group in terms of overt desperation at the contest. Good on him, and the very best of luck in whatever comes next.

Super disappointed in this from a list management perspective, but so long as it's on his own terms, I'm happy with the decision.

All the best Dale, thanks for working so hard to return to form, and for all the encouragement and insight you gave to the locker room while you were lacing up the boots.

Feel free to do a Brett Favre if you're up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can tell the club made the call in him and Dale is essentially left to deal with it.

I would gladly have him back as a rookie if it meant he stayed on the last year but I would not begrudge him going somewhere else even as unlikely as it sounds.

Worst case scenario he goes out whilst still playing good footy.

To me must of been only one of Simpson or Daisy would remain... and as that old Blues lady on Sen they talk to every Saturday morning said today, it’s good to see Carlton showing loyalty again. I suspect this is the reason, Simmo got the nod being a club champion.

Assuming all goes well and Daisy gets the nod to play his last game against the Felines. I’m interested in getting a few responses/thoughts as to the way in which Daisy can make his final game a memorable one.

Having been fined a considerable amount from Michael Christian and Co to accommodate their end of year drinks and nibbles this year. I believe Daisy owes it to himself and fans to go out and give Christian something to actually raise an eyebrow about.

Is going out like Alistair Lynch out of the question?
I think so. Better option would be to go out & totally own the game next week & be part of a win against the odds at the Cattery.

Sad it’s ending like this. Watching him today he was great and I wish we could have had a player like him from the start of his career. He’s electric and goes as hard as anyone. Used to hate him when he played for the Pies, but I can see why he was a favourite of theirs before he left.

We’ll probably never know what really went on. I just hope this time next year we’re not staring at a similar list of injured smalls and wishing we kept him around.

Surprisingly he was one of the shining lights for me the last few years in all the grim days we’ve had. Played with more intensity than almost anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back