Toast Thanks Daisy

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah this is my gut feeling too. The club has been making some pretty good decisions on and off the field.. so maybe there is more to this decision then meets the public/“out of the 4 walls” eye..?

Possibly, but it doesn't square with media reports. On two separate occasions in the last month, the mainstream media has reported that Thomas has sat down with the Club to talk about a contract... that suggests to me that Thomas has been 50/50 for a while, and this week the Club made the decision to pull the trigger. That's their right, of course, but it's hard to believe it's the correct decision.

We're essentially talking about the 44th spot on our list, and as it stands, the Club has elected to cut Thomas and keep Polson. No disrespect to Polson, but I fail to see how that decision improves our 2020 list, even without knowing what the off-field issues with Thomas might be. Is the Club saying that Thomas causes problems that the likes of Cripps, Docherty, Simpson, Kreuzer et al. can't solve? It's hard to believe.

Is there a hidden story?
Well its possible but unlikely I feel.
The most likely thing is that Daisy is 32 and at 33 cant be guaranteed a senior game as the youth asserts itself.
And he chooses to retire rather than battle away in the twos.
This happens year after year at every club.

Possibly, but it doesn't square with media reports. On two separate occasions in the last month, the mainstream media has reported that Thomas has sat down with the Club to talk about a contract... that suggests to me that Thomas has been 50/50 for a while, and this week the Club made the decision to pull the trigger. That's their right, of course, but it's hard to believe it's the correct decision.

We're essentially talking about the 44th spot on our list, and as it stands, the Club has elected to cut Thomas and keep Polson. No disrespect to Polson, but I fail to see how that decision improves our 2020 list, even without knowing what the off-field issues with Thomas might be. Is the Club saying that Thomas causes problems that the likes of Cripps, Docherty, Simpson, Kreuzer et al. can't solve? It's hard to believe.

I’m all for daisy staying, but don’t think it’s that hard to believe. He did get suspended earlier in the year, for a big night out 2 nights before a game, and downplayed it. May be other things going on as well, only the club and daisy know the answer.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is there a hidden story?
Well its possible but unlikely I feel.
The most likely thing is that Daisy is 32 and at 33 cant be guaranteed a senior game as the youth asserts itself.
And he chooses to retire rather than battle away in the twos.
This happens year after year at every club.

I said this in another thread - him being pushed out now, miles out from the draft and trade period, is a reasonable indicator that we have a couple of new players already secured. Otherwise they’d surely wait until after the dust settles and make a decision based on what we’re left with?

I’m all for daisy staying, but don’t think it’s that hard to believe. He did get suspended earlier in the year, for a big night out 2 nights before a game, and downplayed it. May be other things going on as well, only the club and daisy know the answer.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, I almost hope so, sadly. Because if that particular indiscretion was a career-ender, despite his on-field form, then I am surprised and disappointed.

The decision stinks of the old Carlton.
He's been one of our most reliable playmakers in the absence of Docherty.
Not only that, he did the right thing by the club and played for less money in the last year of his contract - only to be off-loaded.
We have Docherty on the comeback trail after 2 knee reco's, Williamson who's never fit and Stocker who's still learning the caper.
This will come back to bite us massively and we are going to look stupid next year when he plays good footy for another side.

With all the jokes that he makes in respect to it, Daisy is clearly not aligned with the decision they made. His form alone dictated another year and I’d say he’ll keep the door open for another club to snap him up. I personally think it has nothing to do with age but that’s my view based on nothing other than observation of his form, and knowing that it’s not like we have a settled back 6 that runs injury-free.

I said this in another thread - him being pushed out now, miles out from the draft and trade period, is a reasonable indicator that we have a couple of new players already secured.

OK, but we don't need to cut Thomas to make room for these new signings. Why not keep all of them, and jettison a Garlett or similar? The list management arguments don't stack up, unless they cull all of the bottom 6-7 on the list (including the contracted Polson), as well as Thomas.

But I am aware I am becoming tedious, so I will vacate this thread. Congratulations to Dale Thomas on a terrific career, and his Casboult-esque efforts to win us all over. Can't give him higher praise than that in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The decision stinks of the old Carlton.
He's been one of our most reliable playmakers in the absence of Docherty.
Not only that, he did the right thing by the club and played for less money in the last year of his contract - only to be off-loaded.
We have Docherty on the comeback trail after 2 knee reco's, Williamson who's never fit and Stocker who's still learning the caper.
This will come back to bite us massively and we are going to look stupid next year when he plays good footy for another side.

Not sure what the issue is that people have with this decision. Hard decisions have to be made in the best interests of moving the club forward, and many more such hard decisions will be made in the coming next few seasons that people aren't going to be happy with. Players are going to be moved on regardless of whether we like it or not.

Yeah, I almost hope so, sadly. Because if that particular indiscretion was a career-ender, despite his on-field form, then I am surprised and disappointed.
A list manager can't afford to go by todays form. Its about future form and the likelihood of inury.
And contracts and salary cap and more.

Last edited:
Gotta laugh. If we gave him another contract people would be describing it as ‘old Carlton’ and giving washed up stars a super policy like Madden and some of the players in the Elliott era.

Wrong or right this decision is very much ‘new Carlton’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A list manager can't afford to go by todays form. Its about future form and the likelihood of inury.
And contracts and salary cap and more.

Sure, but those boxes are all ticked. If we were really concerned about future form and the likelihood of 'old-body' injuries, we wouldn't be recontracting Simpson.

We know dollars are not the central issue, from Daisy's previous contract negotiations, and because we paid 46 last year (our entire 2018 list + Palmer + Smedts) and *still* fell short of the 95% Total Player Payments minimum.

Opportunity is a valid concern, but both sides would have been aware of the lay of the land VFL-wise, and it doesn't really square with Thomas's multiple uses of the word 'sacked' in his press conference. I think we have to assume he was told there would be no contract, regardless of opportunity.

I don't think it falls into the 'business as usual' category, not with the quality of Thomas's on-field form, and the massive hole in the centre of our experience profile.

I guess I have to go with the mutterings about culture, and that there is more to it than the fans will ever hear.

There is more to this. Much more than we see as fans.

Yeah he is going to Gold Coast on a freebie and they trade us Jack Martin for mate's rates !

SOS the cunning silver fox has done it again !!!
(Well that is the version I like to think will happen !

Gotta laugh. If we gave him another contract people would be describing it as ‘old Carlton’ and giving washed up stars a super policy like Madden and some of the players in the Elliott era.

Wrong or right this decision is very much ‘new Carlton’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a poor decision no matter which Carlton decided it.

If this is a decision based on football performance it could be one of the worst I can remember.

On what I've seen this year Thomas doesn't have one year he has two or more.

Good luck Daisy, IMO the club has rooted this completely.

Im still struggling to be upset about this decision. Daisy being gone next year doesn't change our trajectory at all IMO. If he goes somewhere else then so be it.

If this is a decision based on football performance it could be one of the worst I can remember.

On what I've seen this year Thomas doesn't have one year he has two or more.

Good luck Daisy, IMO the club has rooted this completely.
Yeah when you consider that Docherty is at major risk of further knee problems and Williamson can’t seem to get his back right, there’s a fair chance Thomas would have been playing games next year. Simpson is also old as we know and we’ve seen him miss games this year.

Maybe SOS has a small defender lined up.

I’m going to miss Thomas’ attack on the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back