Toast Thanks for everything Doc - Taylor Duryea traded to Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

His magnificent goal from the boundary line at Subiaco in the 2015 preliminary final against the Dockers remains, to my mind, the peak of his career. Goes to the Bulldogs a two time premiership player with the Hawks (2014 and 2015). Form obviously slipped over the past couple of seasons but his contribution to a golden age for the club cannot be overlooked.

Thanks Doc.

I come in peace. Interesting times we are in. Who knew what a future fourth rounder could get you at the trade table on the 2nd last day of the trade period! ;)

Not a lot of positive comments in this thread about Taylor Duryea (which just got locked) since it was recently bumped in September 2018. In fact quite a lot of negative comments in there.

Form my own observations, I know he gets caught holding the ball a bit. But what exactly has gone wrong for him since late 2015? Can it really just have been as simple as a lack of senior players around him?

Because he hasn't exactly moved to a new club with a surplus of senior defenders to cover any of his weaknesses.

Not a lot of positive comments in this thread (which just got locked) since it was recently bumped in September 2018. In fact quite a lot of negative comments in there.

Form my own observations, I know he gets caught holding the ball a bit. But what exactly has gone wrong for him since late 2015? Can it really just have been as simple as a lack of senior players around him?

Because he hasn't exactly moved to a new club with a surplus of senior defenders to cover any of his weaknesses.
He's had injuries to deal with.

He follows the game plan, is tough as nails and doesn't shirk any sort of contact

Tries to create with ball in hand but recently has been caught taking to long to pull the trigger.

Good solid team player who was good enough to play in two flags. He is solid depth and we did offer him another year.

Will be missed, just think we had enough kids coming through to make him surplus by the end of next year to Hawks

He's had injuries to deal with.

He follows the game plan, is tough as nails and doesn't shirk any sort of contact

Tries to create with ball in hand but recently has been caught taking to long to pull the trigger.

Good solid team player who was good enough to play in two flags. He is solid depth and we did offer him another year.

Will be missed, just think we had enough kids coming through to make him surplus by the end of next year to Hawks
Thanks for the reply.

Clearly Bevo likes him from his past form. Hope there is a few good years of service left in him.

Loyal servant, dual premiership player, great clubman. Became a whipping boy of late but I still maintain he can contribute playing behind the ball, however I will go to sleep tonight safe in the knowledge that I will never again have to watch him play as a small forward who neither kicks goals or lays tackles.

I come in peace. Interesting times we are in. Who knew what a future fourth rounder could get you at the trade table on the 2nd last day of the trade period! ;)

Not a lot of positive comments in this thread about Taylor Duryea (which just got locked) since it was recently bumped in September 2018. In fact quite a lot of negative comments in there.

He mainly lost his spot to Blake Hardwick who came second in Hawthorn's B&F this year. He looked to be on track to replace Brent Guerra in a way after he retired in 2013. Duryea is solid but hasn't really added much to his game since he first started playing. He's a decent kick but Burton and Sicily went past him as preferred primary outlets from defense. He's a good spoil and a hard bump/tackle but he's not quite up to doing lock down roles on the best smalls and obviously he can't compete with key talls. It's odd. His awareness and decision making seem to have gone downhill since 2014-16. Maybe that's just confidence or maybe it's not having players like Hodge, Gibson and Lake there to tell him where to be and what to do.

When he had about 40 games under his belt I really rated him as a life long 200+ game defender for Hawthorn. He seems to have a bunch of the right attributes you want in a small defender. He can spoil, tackle, bump, smother, he's a good kick, hard as anything. But it just didn't come together in the way I thought it would. He won't be a standout, but he can play a role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His magnificent goal from the boundary line at Subiaco in the 2015 preliminary final against the Dockers remains, to my mind, the peak of his career. Goes to the Bulldogs a two time premiership player with the Hawks (2014 and 2015). Form obviously slipped over the past couple of seasons but his contribution to a golden age for the club cannot be overlooked.

Thanks Doc.

Me too. I love that goal. Was his best game the 2015 Preliminary final, remember no Vic team had ever won an interstate prelim going into this one.

My other favourite memory is how he came on as the sub in the 2014 GF and proceeded to smash about 10 $wans I believe in possessions even though he only played a bit more than one quarter.

It’s worth reliving this:

Doc is involved in so many key moments. Brilliant game which I feel was his crowning moment at Hawthorn (alongside that ridiculously good shirtfront some years ago).

Best of luck to him, and thanks for his efforts and commitment over a number of seasons.

Best wishes to Doc.
Proved to be a very good player once he established himself in the side during our premiership winning period.
Probably remembered for that goal at Fremantle and his kicking , but I loved watching him outmarking much bigger and taller opponents in the backline.

2 premierships is ok, I suppose. But from what I heard Doc still holds the record for best strike rate on a footy trip.
#winning

2015 prelim star!

Just a total legend too, always has time for the fans and all the other things that make an AFL player these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back