Toast Thanks for everything, Paul Puopolo - will retire at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

Aside from all the pressure acts there was a good 2-3 years when he was the only guy that looked likely to take a hanger inside 50 when a high ball came in! One of my all time fave Hawks- watching those little legs pump as he mowed down defenders was peak Hawthorn 2012-2015.
All the best Pops

This will be my enduring memory of Poppy - a high ball comes into the Hawks forward line and the first player I look for is the smallest bloke on the ground who is Hawthorn's best chance at a contested mark :D

Ripping player and stopped say hello to my son once - ripping bloke too.

The original Energiser bunny, Poppy's def my kinda player! Just love the desperation and tenacious blue-collar approach – constant chasing, tackling and knock ons – like a little terrier, and often rewarded with a highlights reel of brilliant goals (many very timely!) and high flying contests. A really good role model, not just for footballers, but everyone wanting to get the most out of themselves. Very happy he retires a one-club player and the 3 medals dangling around his neck. Reckon he'll have a bit of fun with it next week and could see him kick a few and remind us just how good he was. Well done Poppy and hats off to a top notch career!

Even yesterday it was Poppy competing in the air against two bigger opponents that led to Wingard's out the back goal. Always selfless. Would be a wonderful teammate to play alongside knowing the effort he brought to every contest.

Thanks for all the great memories. P.S.our family even named our cat Poppy!

His demise confuses me a bit - he seemingly hasn't lost much pace. His inability to hit the scoreboard last season was the red flag, but I don't really know why he wasn't able to do it.

His demise confuses me a bit - he seemingly hasn't lost much pace. His inability to hit the scoreboard last season was the red flag, but I don't really know why he wasn't able to do it.

His legs are gone.

Absolute selfless warrior.

He could take hangers, beat a man on the lead and pull goals from his exterior. He could have been a consistent 30+ goal kicker for any other team, but instead he played a selfless and unheralded team role for years.

He's someone that every team needs and offered something that he doesn't get due credit for. He was the final piece in one of the greatest forward lines the league has seen.

If you were to sum up his career in a few words it would simply be put as - he just wanted it more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of posters have already remarked on Poppy's work ethic and defensive pressure which is absolutely true but I think to concentrate on these aspects of his game does him a little bit of disservice in regards to his attacking flair.

My favorite memories of Poppy are those towering screamers and the goals he would kick of the ground after he got his player goal side (those little legs would pump like crazy and no one was ever going to catch him!)

He was also a beautiful set shot for goal from inside 50m, probably the best in our team alongside Gunston and Bruest.

He was definitely an integral part of the three peat an deserved every one of those premiership medals.

Also always came across as such a genuine bloke in interviews, I bet all of his teammates absolutely loved the fella.

Best of wishes in the future Paul!

why couldn't you have just started your post from Valuable....?
it changes the whole context of your post.
This. The first thing I thought.

And in the Stratton thread:

“Been painful to watch the last 2 years”

Just show some class ffs and appreciate what these legends have done for our club.

This. The first thing I thought.

And in the Stratton thread:

“Been painful to watch the last 2 years”

Just show some class ffs and appreciate what these legends have done for our club.

Exactly. Perhaps the last comments about premiership hero's of our club.
Is it too much to ask to be respectful?

I think it's his agility in changing direction and leap that he's lost. Can't get up for hangers anymore and can get side stepped easier.

A lot of posters have already remarked on Poppy's work ethic and defensive pressure which is absolutely true but I think to concentrate on these aspects of his game does him a little bit of disservice in regards to his attacking flair.

My favorite memories of Poppy are those towering screamers and the goals he would kick of the ground after he got his player goal side (those little legs would pump like crazy and no one was ever going to catch him!)

He was also a beautiful set shot for goal from inside 50m, probably the best in our team alongside Gunston and Bruest.

He was definitely an integral part of the three peat an deserved every one of those premiership medals.

Also always came across as such a genuine bloke in interviews, I bet all of his teammates absolutely loved the fella.

Best of wishes in the future Paul!
One of the biggest myths in football is that puopolo has limited talent, gets picked on his effort and pressure alone and has extracted every bit of talent from hard work alone.

The guy has a highlight real as good as anyone. Speckys, bags of goals, clutch set shots, snaps from the boundary line, soccer goals, tackles, spoils, brilliant knock ons, perfectly weighted set up kicks.

He was very athletically and skilfully gifted AND he worked his arse off defensively.

Made a living doing this sort of thing 😃

Fantastic example of pushing yourself to do the hard work to put on that pressure and help your team winning. He and Rioli changed the way small forwards play the game. Legend! Best of luck poppy!

Would be called Play On these days.

Fantastic career. In his prime he was a machine.

One of the biggest myths in football is that puopolo has limited talent, gets picked on his effort and pressure alone and has extracted every bit of talent from hard work alone.

The guy has a highlight real as good as anyone. Speckys, bags of goals, clutch set shots, snaps from the boundary line, soccer goals, tackles, spoils, brilliant knock ons, perfectly weighted set up kicks.

He was very athletically and skilfully gifted AND he worked his arse off defensively.
Definitely. Dude could flat out play footy.

Having two very offensively talented Small Forwards in Cyril and Poppy who were also so strong on the defensive end played a big part in the 3 peat.

Whenever Poppy found himself in a big moment, he stepped up every time

Didnt get as many opportunities / shots at goal as it wasnt his #1 role but you are spot on, was a very reliable finisher.

Definately one of my favourites

Hurt teams both ways - defensive pressure combined with offensive flair. Perhaps we didn't see the latter as often as some of our other forward stars, but by christ he could show a highlight or two. All the best Poppy. Champion player in a champion team.

One of favourite Hawks.

Loved watching Poppy play week in and out, absolute little beast of a player.

All the best for life after footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back