Toast Thanks for everything, Paul Puopolo - will retire at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

He may not have got as much of the praise as some of his teammates did externally but this guy was as important a cog as any in our most successful period.

Worked as hard as anyone and helped set the standards on and off the field (didn't mind the odd highlight either).

His contributions cannot be overstated.

Simply did what he was asked to do and then more. The epitome of determination and perseverance.

Exactly why Poppy has a great future to look forward to.

What a super footballer Poppy was. Gave full value every time he stepped out onto the ground. And, to be honest, if I had to put my house on a set shot from 30-35 metres out I would pick Poppy to take the kick.

Gee I hate seeing our premiership players retire....

After watching him tear up the SANFL in 2010 I was pumped when we recruited him. Always gives everything and so many memorable Poppy moments in the Brown and Gold. Cheers Poppy.

One of my absolute favourite moments/memories from the glorious '08-'15 dynasty was in the '15 GF, Cyril's ridiculous intercept, to Bruest, to Poppy, who delivers the most perfectly weighted 40 meter 'short' pass to Gunner, who was running with the flight of the ball with two weagle defenders on either side of him. Happened at important time too, the weagles were mustering their most concerted resistance of the game at that point.

Stunning football.

One of the biggest myths in football is that puopolo has limited talent, gets picked on his effort and pressure alone and has extracted every bit of talent from hard work alone.

The guy has a highlight real as good as anyone. Speckys, bags of goals, clutch set shots, snaps from the boundary line, soccer goals, tackles, spoils, brilliant knock ons, perfectly weighted set up kicks.

He was very athletically and skilfully gifted AND he worked his arse off defensively.

Agree.

Also - I loved the overlooked parts of his game and character.

The lads used to joke about how tight he was with his coin purse.

I’ll always remember the chase downs, the epic tackles, the marks, the first goals of many games and the once-in-a-lifetime handball to Hodgey that led to the goal of the century.

His neck will enjoy the rest from all those coat hanger tackles that seemed to never be rewarded with a free.

Enjoy your next challenge super man!

Apparently had a training drill named after him. The drill involved relentlessly hunting the ball while getting smashed and pummelled by tackling bags. I hope that in years to come, young draftees bust a gut doing a training drill named in this blokes honour and have to ask ‘who was Poppy’ before being sat down to learn the legend of Paul Puopolo.

Thanks Poppy for being a absolute champ and setting a standard that took us to such heights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back