Toast Thanks for everything, Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says in the article he spoke to Clarkson on the phone and won’t go into the details but he was out after that chat.

Imagine that phone call, knowing how keen Clarko was to get Wingard. Clarko would have been frothing at the mouth had Burto stood his ground

Sounds like he needs some maturing to do. He's a professional footballer making a living from playing a children's game. These things happen.

I think everyone is being far too hard on Burton. It's quite obvious that he didn't want to leave and was completely invested in our footy club.
It's refreshing to hear players speak openly about their disappointment....I don't think Burton comes out of this sounding brat-ish or immature, just a young man who was blindsided and reluctantly accepting of his fate. I'm sure the majority of us would react similarly (if) in his shoes

Can't blame him really.

Unlike some I still think he's going to become a star of the game and we might regret letting him go.

That being said I'm confident Wingard will be enormous for us.
I don't blame him for being angry at Hawthorn, but he should have a little respect for the fans that embraced him a little too much for what he produced honestly , think it got to his head a bit by the sounds of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reality in 2018 was that Burton showed signs of vulnerability above the shoulders
He shirked some contests or ran away from where he should have been to assist a team mate
Not a hanging offence but something that Clarko doesn’t like
He expects teammates to sacrifice for each other
In the end he became the sacrificial offering as a result

While I was both shocked and sad to see the kid go, I definitely think he could be handing things in a better manner.

Oh well, at least we've got Wingard to soften the blow.

Who am I kidding?

You'd to that trade a thousand times over, even if Wingard misses the first 10 rounds of the season.

His ego is bruised, that's all. He would've been enjoying Melbourne life and being one of the better up and comers at Hawthorn and in the league at large. He wouldn't have expected for even a moment that he'd ever be on the table - regardless of whether it was them or us that put his name up.

He's still an immature kid (and that's fine) and this is probably the first time in his footballing life that he's been the bargaining chip rather than the main prize. He'll get over it in time and probably go on to be a great AFL player over the next decade.

His ego is bruised, that's all. He would've been enjoying Melbourne life and being one of the better up and comers at Hawthorn and in the league at large. He wouldn't have expected for even a moment that he'd ever be on the table - regardless of whether it was them or us that put his name up.

He's still an immature kid (and that's fine) and this is probably the first time in his footballing life that he's been the bargaining chip rather than the main prize. He'll get over it in time and probably go on to be a great AFL player over the next decade.

Or perhaps the whole thing could be an elaborate ploy, to get him back for a packet of twisties in 2 years time.

In all seriousness though, good luck to the kid, but it would be nice if he got his ego in check and stopped taking pot shots at the club.

Who was the poster who said there were problems with him last year with his attitude? He had to have a few talkings to or something if I recall.

I've seen him around and he's a ******* tosser and not really the good larrikin type or the good quiet confident type, just a general *******. What a sook. Piss off.

So to all those that disagreed with my assertion that Port played their media/family hand beautifully? Completely took advantage of Hawthorn's willingness to put their player first.

Port told Burton Hawthorn put him on the table.
Port tell Media, Hawthorn put Burton on the table.
Media criticize Hawthorn.

Burton told Hawthorn he wanted to be traded.
Hawthorn took substantial unders to assist a Hawthorn player get what he wanted.

Port admitted they lied. No one cares.

Burton comes out in the press re-telling the original media (false) story.

So to all those that disagreed with my assertion that Port played their media/family hand beautifully? Completely took advantage of Hawthorn's willingness to put their player first.

Hawthorn took substantial unders to assist a Hawthorn player get what he wanted.

Cash in the bank. Quality people who want out of Port know the truth. Let the Port to Hawthorn gravy train continue to steam down the track.

I still disagree.

if Hawthorn wanted to keep him, they would have kept him.

He spoke to Clarkson, and that was that...

I still disagree.

if Hawthorn wanted to keep him, they would have kept him.

He spoke to Clarkson, and that was that...
It doesn't have to be all or nothing, Hawthorn were willing to trade Burton to get Wingard but doesn't mean we were the ones that offered him. Clarkson doesn't sugar coat anything he's straight to the point, Burton really does seem like a guy that loves his ego stroked when Clarko wasn't willing to kiss his feet to stay Burton got the sooks.

Played some good footy for us and I hope he has many more years of good footy to play,just not so good against us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back