Toast Thanks for everything Sauce!!!!

Burning in my throat after watching that video. Man who has always loved the club making the hardest decision of his life. Loved your work over the years, Sauce and am thrilled you'll be staying with the Lions in a new role to help our young guys develop.

deklares

Oct 7, 2009
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Ahh sauce.... why did you have to go and make me shed a tear like that.

Thanks for everything big sauce. It couldn't have been easy being KPD during this era. Your efforts week in week out for the last 14 years will not easily be forgotten.

That was tough to watch that. This one is hard actually, knew it was coming but it's never easy. I think it is great that he will be staying on in a development / welfare position and so glad he will get through to his 200th all going well this weekend. He is so worthy of a 200 game player for our club.

Next time you get the sauce bottle out - just reflect for a second or two about Rog before you squeeze!

AFLQLD

Jul 15, 2012
There are other teams?
I remember once hearing two opposition supporters after a rare game we had actually won (may have been Port but can't be certain.) They were comparing notes on how they lost the game against us yet had better players in every key position:

Opposition Supporter 1: "And Merrett - big, clumsy, ordinary kick. Why would they even play him?"

Opposition Supporter 2: "Because he is a big, clumsy, ordinary kick who protects his mates, never stops trying, stuffs up but doesn't give up...and cares. You reckon we could use him?"

Well played Sauce. Well played. A Lion for life.

Skoob

Jul 6, 2010
In his hey day one of the best spoilers in the game. Thanks for all your hard work Sauce. Played with heart and soul. A lesson for all our young players that you don't need to be the best to make a solid contribution to your football club and it's fans. Thanks mate loved catching up with you at the Lions fans days down here in Melbourne, always up for a chat, and always treated my kid like a champ. Cheers.
At his peak, he was the best in the game.
Daniel+Merrett+Carlton+Blues+v+Brisbane+Lions+4uuSSEj4EdCl.jpg

Zacisonfire

Jul 28, 2009
Devonport
Ah what a ripper of a bloke! Makes me sad watching that video going to miss the big fella! Going to be hard to replace the rock in defence and all that experience. Love to see him in the media one day. Good luck with the last couple of games sauce!

The Zork

Oct 8, 2014
I seriously hope that we get a good crowd up there this week for the sauce bottle.

Lets get as many as possible to these last 2 games for the big fella, he's frustrated us and he's delievered for us time and time again but above all else he has given his absolute all for our club.

Least we can do is send him off the right way.

royboys4eva

Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
Great club man and every team needs characters like Rog. He was as good as defender in the game three years ago - sadly injuries and the changing of the game have caught up to him and i think he really struggled with the zone defence. He really was suited to playing in the days where the full back could stand on the full forwards toes and smash the back of his head when spoiling the ball.

Got the most out of himself and my fave memory will be from a couple years ago when he kicked 6 goals in the first qtr vs GWS.

Would love to see the boys send him out a winner in his 200th and final game. Let's hope the boys lift for him and talking of boys how about we get those young fellas from the pre season game to Etihad in the final game and behind the goals cheering every sauce spoil.

I seriously hope that we get a good crowd up there this week for the sauce bottle.

Lets get as many as possible to these last 2 games for the big fella, he's frustrated us and he's delievered for us time and time again but above all else he has given his absolute all for our club.

Least we can do is send him off the right way.

I have a feeling Geelong's goal line section will be the place to be. Merrett Mob in full flight.

Jul 22, 2007
Geez that video is a tear jerker. It's hard not to love a man who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Thanks Rog for everything you did for the club, you were a leader on the field and part of its soul off it. He was affable, funny and represented the Lions with such class every time he fronted the media. You could tell this was something he loved doing in a place he loved.

Maybe the game wasn't his passion anymore, and it's good to know he won't be breaking himself down once a week anymore, but super glad we get the benefit of his passion for the club instead. My guess he's part of the reason the young guys feel it too... great to know he'll find a home in the welfare department to keep spreading it!

Nov 11, 2010
That was a very emotional farewell clip. I know we weren't his biggest fans on field this year but our defense most certainly would have been worse off without him there. You won't find a better clubman anywhere in the competition. Many of you won't know this but he fought tooth and nail to play as many games he did, especially in the last couple of years. It was inspirational really. His 2011 or 2012 season before that stress fracture was absolutely elite and that injury arguably robbed him of an AA to his name. Glad he'll still be around the Club next season. He is very well respected among the group.

Will be there for his 200th.

A great clubman and from the few times I've met him, a great human being. Kind of knew it was coming but sad nonetheless. Glad he will be around the club in some capacity next year.

ManeMan

Aug 21, 2015
Indianapolis Colts
Rog is an absolute dude. I always watch any Lions TV video with him in it. He is just a genuine bloke, always good for a laugh and doesn't take himself too seriously. I remember an ep of 360 a month or two ago with Rob Murphy and i think Jack Reiwoldt discussing him, as soon as he was mentioned they both had a smirk on their face and went on to say they really liked him as a bloke and enjoyed playing against him, was always good for some banter. Made me proud he was ours.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
Happened to speak to Trent West today. He said it was very difficult to sit through Rog's speech. There were tears shed among the players.

Trent is heading back to Geelong in a few weeks. Wished him well for his retirement too.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
Valleys. Chelsea.
Farewell Rog, can not deny he always gave his all for the club, not many players get to play 200 games at the top level.:thumbsu:

Rog might now have a bit more time to concentrate on his burgeoning DJ career.:fire: