Thanks for the ride, I want another go

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rediscovered footy around R8 this season, after a <ahem> very long lapse.

Since sports are a lot more fun supporting a team, I jumped into the Cats' box.

I claim exactly zero history, the closest I've been to Australia is drinking Foster's oilcans while watching Paul Hogan Show reruns. But I spent the last few months lurking around BF and the Geelong boards, trying to get a feel for the club's culture and general fan attitudes.

You folks have a lot to be proud of.

I empathize with the people who malign the Cats' finals flops, it's painful to watch your team crash and burn under any circumstances.

I don't know how many of you pay attention to US NCAA sports, but I attended Duke University as the basketball program was building a foundation. We were in the Final Four almost every year, but never seemed to find the championship key. Eventually, they did it, and now every other program in the country takes aim at Duke.

I've had a blast watching all AFL teams this season, but particularly Geelong victories.

Upping my commitment next season and will buy an International membership.

Good to be here.

Rediscovered footy around R8 this season, after a <ahem> very long lapse.

Since sports are a lot more fun supporting a team, I jumped into the Cats' box.

I claim exactly zero history, the closest I've been to Australia is drinking Foster's oilcans while watching Paul Hogan Show reruns. But I spent the last few months lurking around BF and the Geelong boards, trying to get a feel for the club's culture and general fan attitudes.

You folks have a lot to be proud of.

I empathize with the people who malign the Cats' finals flops, it's painful to watch your team crash and burn under any circumstances.

I don't know how many of you pay attention to US NCAA sports, but I attended Duke University as the basketball program was building a foundation. We were in the Final Four almost every year, but never seemed to find the championship key. Eventually, they did it, and now every other program in the country takes aim at Duke.

I've had a blast watching all AFL teams this season, but particularly Geelong victories.

Upping my commitment next season and will buy an International membership.

Good to be here.
Well, "Clueless NOOb", at least 50% of you is in good company, as you can see from the deluge of hysteria on here in the last couple of weeks.

Welcome. :D

Well, "Clueless NOOb", at least 50% of you is in good company, as you can see from the deluge of hysteria on here in the last couple of weeks.

I get it, I really do. Even being clueless, it was really painful to watch the Cats' L-W-L, and what a grim PF that was.

But I'm still shelling out next season.

Thanks...

Welcome.

Where abouts in the States are you?? And any specific reason you chose Geelong?

PS. some stuff for you to youtube if you are so inclined
- Gary Ablett Snr Highlights
- 2009 and 2011 Grand Final last quarter highlights
- Geelong v Hawks 2012 last 10 mins

Where abouts in the States are you?? And any specific reason you chose Geelong?

Born and raised in Los Angeles, now in North Carolina.

As for "why the Cats...," depends on my mood. It has a lot to do with the age of GFC, certainly, and not just because I like Cats.

While I would like to come up with a better reason, I'm sure the fact that Geelong and Duke share a very close color scheme didn't hurt.

Born and raised in Los Angeles, now in North Carolina.

As for "why the Cats...," depends on my mood. It has a lot to do with the age of GFC, certainly, and not just because I like Cats.

While I would like to come up with a better reason, I'm sure the fact that Geelong and Duke share a very close color scheme didn't hurt.

Nah nah it's cool, just curious.

For me, obvs my mum was a huge influence (she didnt tell me to follow them tho or anything), but its just everything. I like the fact we're unique in that we're not in Melbourne (i live in Melbs), we have the best colours + jumper imo, and just the whole vibe of the place. I love it.

Born and raised LA hey? Are you a Crips or a Blood?
:thumbsupv1:

That could be. Geelong kinda of also encompasses the Bellarine/Torquay/Surf Coast area.

Some amazing surf spots along there.

Yeah, I have seen some televised surf competitions from those locations.

And any specific reason you chose Geelong?

PS. some stuff for you to youtube if you are so inclined

(Thanks for the YT tips!)

Just thought of something WRT "why Cats?"

When I was growing up, fandom was something you inherited, maybe from your hometown, maybe from your parents, maybe one of the players signed an autograph for you.

That changed after I met my brother-in-law. He emigrated to the States from Uruguay as a kid. He had no background in US sports, but chose to root for a weirdly wide variety of teams (San Francisco 49ers, University of North Carolina Tar Heels, New York Yankees). This wasn't flash-in-the-pan stuff, some >40 years later he's still pulling for all the same teams.

So I suppose I chose the same path with the AFL.

Just a random story-

Was staying with my mate in Denver CO for a week, over the 4th of July in 2012. We went to her mate's apartment to watch the fireworks. As we walk in- the first thing I spot is a Geelong Scarf hanging over the chair in the dining room.

Like the absolute *, I almost fell over.

Turns out he worked in Aus for a year in 2011, went to a GF party- host said "gotta choose a side, cats or Magpies" and he chose us.

:smilev1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Furphy available in the states? It's brewed in Geelong.

Also welcome and prepare for a another season full of drama next year :)
I wish... not seen it here

Barely get Coopers now.

GO CAtters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back