Thanks for the ride, I want another go

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish... not seen it here

Barely get Coopers now.

GO CAtters
At least there's some good micro breweries - I try to avoid the mass produced crap when I've been in the USA

🤷‍♀️ 89was before my time.

<ahem, showing my age> 1989 was in the middle of my first footy rush. I discovered that our ESPN showed condensed games in the mid 80s, and watched as many as I could tape. I lost track of footy in the very early 90s... until season 2021.

Did not choose a side first time around.

<ahem, showing my age> 1989 was in the middle of my first footy rush. I discovered that our ESPN showed condensed games in the mid 80s, and watched as many as I could tape. I lost track of footy in the very early 90s... until season 2021.

Thats so cool it was on ESPN back as long ago as that!!!!

Here we had like 5 TV channels amd no cable

Is Furphy available in the states? It's brewed in Geelong.

US beer quality has improved immensely since the craft brewing trend, I hardly ever look for non-local beers any more.

Thats so cool it was on ESPN back as long ago as that!!!!

Here we had like 5 TV channels amd no cable

Digressing...

In the pre-cable days, we in Los Angeles were lucky. Tons of broadcast towers on Mt. Wilson meant a relative surplus of oddball independent broadcast TV stations, compared to other places. We had like 7 VHF stations, a lot of UHF stations. It was weird visiting relatives limited to 3 channels.

My first exposure was when ESPN first aired 79~80, they couldn't afford big American sports. They showed Aussie rules late at night. I was hooked instantly and was kind of pissed off when they stopped.
and I had similar experiences with Fosters back around the same time LOL, first thought "Cool, import and big can", followed a short while later by "No thanks."

US beer quality has improved immensely since the craft brewing trend, I hardly ever look for non-local beers any more.
Over my recent trips to the US I do my best to seek out local brews where possible

When finding places to eat, mainly dinner or somewhere for a drink, I try to find pubs/bars, a local joint to eat, especially as I'm often on my own so it's not as awkward if you sit at the bar or counter area. I find that also presents a good opportunity to chat with staff or locals and find local drink recommendations

I've also started doing the same when travelling within Aus - I can drink Coopers or a Furphy at home, so why not instead try something local that I haven't necessarily heard of before

Some of us fortunate enough to be there think of it as Ablett's greatest ever game (it's right up there in my estimation). Was a lot of fun believe me.
The previous week against Melbourne at the G too in a knock-out final, he was just mind-blowing. I can still picture Rod Grinter on his arse with a stupefied grin as he just had no answers for the great man.

When finding places to eat, mainly dinner or somewhere for a drink, I try to find pubs/bars, a local joint to eat

I've also started doing the same when travelling within Aus - I can drink Coopers or a Furphy at home, so why not instead try something local that I haven't necessarily heard of before

I used to travel to Europe a lot on engineering trips, and tried to do the same whenever possible.

Speaking of Aus-beer, I used to drink a lot of Tooth Sheaf Stout, one particular bar/pizza joint always stocked it. But I lost track of that, too. Is that still available in your neck of the woods?

The previous week against Melbourne at the G too in a knock-out final, he was just mind-blowing. I can still picture Rod Grinter on his arse with a stupefied grin as he just had no answers for the great man.

That is actually to me one of the great forgotten Ablett performances. 24 touches, 14 marks, 7 goals 7 behinds. I still remember him taking a pack mark in the last quarter and the slow motion showed Stynes shaking his head in amazement as he ran past. That last quarter (which I was fortunate enough to be behind the goals at that end) was one of those magical memories. He must have taken 5-6 amazing marks in that quarter alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least there's some good micro breweries - I try to avoid the mass produced crap when I've been in the USA

I'd go straight for the trailer trash juice - Pabst Blue Ribbon, baby!

b17922b6a841deea737cb6bd183d1b42.jpg

Frank Booth: Heineken? F*** that s**t! Pabst! Blue! Ribbon!!!

Nothing wrong with a good old macrobrew, think of it as beer flavored water.

b17922b6a841deea737cb6bd183d1b42.jpg
I've drunk worse than that

I remember the first time I was given a Budweiser to drink, it took me like 2/3 hours because I just couldn't bring myself to want to drink it

The only thing in the fridge was Budweiser and mountain dew - so not a great deal of choice

I used to travel to Europe a lot on engineering trips, and tried to do the same whenever possible.

Speaking of Aus-beer, I used to drink a lot of Tooth Sheaf Stout, one particular bar/pizza joint always stocked it. But I lost track of that, too. Is that still available in your neck of the woods?
Never heard of it but will keep an eye out for it

That is actually to me one of the great forgotten Ablett performances. 24 touches, 14 marks, 7 goals 7 behinds. I still remember him taking a pack mark in the last quarter and the slow motion showed Stynes shaking his head in amazement as he ran past. That last quarter (which I was fortunate enough to be behind the goals at that end) was one of those magical memories. He must have taken 5-6 amazing marks in that quarter alone.
This mark here. I had a cut-out of it from the paper for years on my bedroom wall. The ground was really heavy from rain that day. Those stats alone are just incredible, but the way he did it was like nothing else.
download.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back