Toast Thanks Mav

Remove this Banner Ad

Copped s**t this year from a lot of people but was a good servant of the club and was part of our leadership group during some lean years. Came off the rookie list which is even more impressive.

Congratulations Mav.

Agree with all the above. He was poor this year but he gave his best. Hope he gets another chance somewhere

Seems to be another of our players who stood still or went backwards under Richo's coaching. Good luck to him.
Never lost his sense of humour right down to the press conference.

""Thank you to Allan (sic) for the opportunity and guidance over the last five years."

Keep on "being a legend", you Maverick.

Say what you will about his 2017/18 seasons, to pick a guy up off the AFL scrapheap with a late rookie draft pick and have him play 89 games in 5 years with a stint in the leadership group along the way is bloody good value.

Was a fan of Mav's since he came into the league as he is originally from roughly the same area of Tassie that I am, was exciting when he (and Eli Templeton) ended up at my club. Cheers Mav, hopefully GC will pick him up so he can play with his brother.

We've certainly been ruthless with our list management this year haven't we.

Good bloke Mav. I still remember going to the junction oval training when we first got him, a really old boring guy was talking to players and they all ditched him while he was trying to speak. Mav took ages with this lonely old guy and absolutely made his year. You could see it meant heaps to a guy who didn't get heard much. He came with a bad boy reputation but was always a gentleman and put in heaps on and off field. Great with the kids too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At his best he was a real gutsy player who gave his all . Even this year when he couldn’t quite recapture his form from a couple years ago there was no doubting the effort was still there . All the best Mav.

Go Saints

Definitely had moments of serious ability, but they were too few and far between. Tried to do too much and played injured this year (and late last?) which made him look like a bit of a plodder. Can't blame us for delisting him. I ragged on him a bunch but he seems like a genuinely nice guy which will hold him in good stead post footy. Classy exit too.

If he loses some weight and gets his speed and agility back he could still be a player. Looked like he was running under water at times this year. And bombed it way too much.

though in those highlight videos he kicks like jack billings

I also enjoyed his coat hanger to the midriff tacking style too..

hope he gets to gold coast and plays some games with his brother

This de-listing is a real shame. Not because he didn't deserve it (his form was ordinary for a good 18 months) but because his 2016 was seriously good. Like many here, I thought he would be a great candidate for our captaincy one day.

Unfortunately, he simply couldn't reproduce what he did that year for whatever reasons. It's weird that he went backwards and such a rate. There are only losers in this situation, Mav for getting de-listed and us for not having the 2016 Mav running out there wearing his heart on his sleeve and giving the playing group the type of energy boost that we so lack now.

Like I said, it's a real shame.

This is news to me, guys. Have to say I think it's the right decision, given his performances last season, but good luck to him. You have to wonder whether he'll get another AFL club: if he isn't good enough for St Kilda, what are his realistic chances of getting a game elsewhere?

This is news to me, guys. Have to say I think it's the right decision, given his performances last season, but good luck to him. You have to wonder whether he'll get another AFL club: if he isn't good enough for St Kilda, what are his realistic chances of getting a game elsewhere?
Slim to none, but a guy like that will do alright in life. His AFL dream might be over unless he gets picked up by a club with the luxury of giving him the opportunity to fight his way back, but if not a decent lower league career beckons and if not I'm sure life will be fruitful for him. I liked his style on field, at his best he set the tone. Not the first player to get sucked down the form plughole.

I liked the cheeky chinning braveheart free kick Hawthorn Mav more than the playing injured to try and show captain material Mav.

Had to be done really though. Shame we couldn't do the same with his coach.

Slim to none, but a guy like that will do alright in life. His AFL dream might be over unless he gets picked up by a club with the luxury of giving him the opportunity to fight his way back, but if not a decent lower league career beckons and if not I'm sure life will be fruitful for him. I liked his style on field, at his best he set the tone. Not the first player to get sucked down the form plughole.

I liked the cheeky chinning braveheart free kick Hawthorn Mav more than the playing injured to try and show captain material Mav.

Had to be done really though. Shame we couldn't do the same with his coach.

Amen, my friend.

We've certainly been ruthless with our list management this year haven't we.
Absolutely we have StKing11...….we were staring into the abyss more and more as the season rolled on.

Thankfully we now have people who will make the hard decisions...…..it just gives me so much hope.

I just shudder at the thought that we could have just kept rolling along...steady as she goes etc etc.

It's a pity that it went down the way it did for Mav. There was a brief moment there when it really looked like his star was rising & that he'd be one of those "hard work brings good fortune." stories that we are drilled from birth to relate to. Instead he got a reality bite, and we got the ring side seats to his decline. The dude tried, and had some good moments...I wish him well. All the best Mav.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back