Universal Love Thanks Ross! (Positive comments only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
He got us to a grand final and presided over some darn good wins.

Made Freo more professional.

Overall, he came in, did his job by trying to get the holy grail. Yep he didn't actually reach the summit, but he has now exited. He gave it a fair crack.

In 5 years time, when the dust has settle, people will be able to view this period of Freo's history in a more rational light.

Rossco, enjoy your year off ( fully paid ).

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Always enjoyed his dignified leadership and great defensive coaching. Changes to the game have left Ross's coaching effectiveness behind but he has been one of the top two or three coaches the past 15 or so years. On ya and thanks for the success you brought to Freo.

Sean_09

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2009
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Took a young, flaky team of potential and turned them into a drill hardened defensive juggernaut within 6 months. Copped alot of flack but far and away our best coach. Deserved to at least see the first 8-10 games of 2020 before being assessed.

We better have one hell of a replacement since he's left massive shoes to fill

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Maybe I'm a biased as he's an ex Fitzroy player. As an outsider, I thought he was doing a great job rebuilding Freo & that you would be a major force under him next season. You took some big scalps this year, including us in a thriller! Can't help but feel sorry for your Clubs loss. Will miss his press conferences too.

edit: Ross Lyon is now the most successful Coach at St Kilda & Freo by % of games won.

Last edited:

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
Actually gutted for the bloke. Done a lot for the club and given the way this had played out in the media I'm not sure many people will remember that.

Best memories as a fremantle fan were under his coaching so obviously sad to see him go. His press conference was very clasy, obviously respects the football club a lot. First time I've seen him talk freely for so long.

Really hope he has a great career whatever path he goes down from here.

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fremantle’s most successful coach to date.
Lead the club to our first Grand Final.
The first coach to lead the team to finished on top of the table.
Brings professionalism and a no excuse attitude to the club and players.
Undoubtedly a good coach that have earned the respect of his players.
Only coach to having a 100% finals winning record in Geelong :D
The past few seasons have been painful, but it’s still a great ride overall. Thanks for the memories RTB.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gave us 4 incredible years that I'll be forever grateful for.

I'm fairly sensitive at heart and my thoughts do move his young family that she group his kids are in that critical identity forming range. They have to pack up and leave with sport lights flooding every corner of their home.

I genuinely believe Ross deserves a flag, and it's a shame he couldn't achieve it with us. I wish him all the best.

Freo Shark

Invasion of the Purple Haze
Oct 18, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks, Miami Heat, Wildcats, 49ers
Thanks Ross for your efforts! You made us a serious club that was respected for awhile. Coulda been a Premiership coach but for a few numptys who dropped their balls. Good luck for the future I hope you get a Premiership before you finish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Without a doubt, Ross brought us our best years as a club. Maybe the game has passed him by and he won't return to the summit, but we have a lot to thank him for. There are lots of good memories that shouldn't be clouded by his last couple of seasons with a young list trying to rebuild a club that fell so agonizingly short of the ultimate goal.

He spent most of this year under immense pressure, shielding his players/the club from criticism, having to endure spiteful, agenda-driven drivel from the likes of Hardie and Langdon when there are clearly far deeper problems at the club that extend beyond his influence.

All the best Ross, enjoy some time out of the glare.

hoss

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2004
South
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gave us some credibility for the first time in our history. Took us to the GF but the players just couldn't get it done. Very popular with our players, right to the end. Game just passed him by.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's a bittersweet moment.

The writing was on the wall given Alcock mentioned in his presser that the club board had known for months that Ross wouldn't be offered an extension. Only time will tell if his sudden exit was a knee-jerk reaction on the club's part. On the other hand, its a new era for the club and everyone has a reason to be hopeful and optimistic.

Thanks for your service to the club Ross. Some of my best Freo memories happened with you at the helm.

Last edited:

purplearmy

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
The mantra that we were a "no excuses football club" was emblematic of the professionalism he brought to us in those first years. He was tough and brilliant and exactly what we needed at the time. Thanks Ross.
Yep. Ross has been the coach for most of my adult life. He started when I was at uni, so it’s rather bittersweet.

Whatname

Club Legend
Feb 17, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just thought he was going to be the one, this day never entered my thoughts.

The bastards got him but he was strong and forthright to the end.

This is by far the hardest breakup.

Thank you for those winning seasons as bittersweet as they are.

Cameron_K

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 23, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Rockets, Astros, Texans
Without a doubt the best coach this club has ever had and provided me the most enjoyment out of any sporting team I follow during that 13’ finals run. Will always hold him in very high regard and hope he finally wins one.

Last edited:

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just thought he was going to be the one, this day never entered my thoughts.

The bastards got him but he was strong and forthright to the end.

This is by far the hardest breakup.

Thank you for those winning seasons as bittersweet as they are.
Your thoughts echo mine. I felt he was the one to get us all the way there but alas that is not to be.

As ever his grace at his press conference was there for all to see. I hope he and his family have the opportunity to be left alone and enjoy some time out of the spotlight while he contemplates his next endeavours.

Thanks for the memories Ross. Without you there would have been no finals win in Geelong, no amazing Sydney PF and no march from Fed Square. All are the footy memories that I will cherish the most.

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle
One of his finest moments was how he handled the media today with such dignity and grace especially with his form in the past (Hi Shane).

He could of let rip like Harvey did but he appears to be optimistic about the club and its future. I reckon it says a lot about how the club has handled the situation even if people think it should of been done differently.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
One of his finest moments was how he handled the media today with such dignity and grace especially with his form in the past (Hi Shane).

He could of let rip like Harvey did but he appears to be optimistic about the club and its future. I reckon it says a lot about how the club has handled the situation even if people think it should of been done differently.
I remembered when he joined - it was all they, we, them. Never us. He had really grown into an us guy. Always us vs the rest. Backed his players, held firm. He was Fremantle personified. He truly bled purple in the end. He came to us pretty business like. He really did grow into a strong Freo person. Will miss that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back