Universal Love Thanks Ross! (Positive comments only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
All the obvious memories are there, but what I thank Ross for the most is that feeling in those first 4 years that I had of supporting a truly feared club. Teams, good teams, would come to Subi and be already 2 goals down in their head knowing they were facing a tough, well drilled, fierce team that would shed blood rather than give up a goal. Backed by a stadium full of loyal, long suffering fans, it would make the whole game feel suffocating for visiting teams. I loved that, and only Ross could have done it. The pinnacle of that feeling was my favourite sporting memory ever of the PF against Sydney.

Obviously recent years has seen the shine wear off. Perhaps it's a final ironic testament that Ross's departure was hastened because of a expected standard of success that he himself set.

Thanks Ross, obviously and clearly the best coach we've had.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Was a very good, extremely professional coach for us who also put the WA media in their place. I wish him all the best for future endeavours - hopefully he can win one somewhere else, but as they say, fairy tales rarely regularly happen.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Thanks to Ross, we've been in muliple seasons of finals, won an AFL season (sadly, not a premiership to go with it) and ridden some almighty highs.

Was in Geelongistan to see Hill take off from the interchange to goal, I flew over to watch us pulverise the Swans to the cheers of MCG, MCG. Was in the purple army marching from Federation Square to the MCG.

Thanks for the ride and all the best with your future endeavours.
This. Are you me? Will always treasure these memories Ross. Thank you for everything.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Much as I wanted change by the end, a part of me always wanted that Ross Lyon redemption story to stick it up all the media and opposition fans and even myself.

12-13 was probably my favourite time as a Freo fan. The way he transformed the club in those first 2 years from flaky to hard nosed was amazing.

He’s at his best coming into a system with all the right pieces in place but needing a finishing touch. GWS would be fools not to hire him tbh, he’ll get them to at least a GF for sure.

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its good to read so much positive sentiment. Not bad when you consider hes not a premiership winning coach. The separation looks like the more amicable sort which is a relief. It would also make it somewhat easier for the players I hope and help the transition to a new leader?

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Much as I wanted change by the end, a part of me always wanted that Ross Lyon redemption story to stick it up all the media and opposition fans and even myself.

12-13 was probably my favourite time as a Freo fan. The way he transformed the club in those first 2 years from flaky to hard nosed was amazing.

He’s at his best coming into a system with all the right pieces in place but needing a finishing touch. GWS would be fools not to hire him tbh, he’ll get them to at least a GF for sure.
Exactly. If GWS were ruthless and want to be serious. They would sack Cameron, who has underachieved. Be a bold big club call. But dont think they ll do it

mr.11

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
F.C Barcelona ,Redwings
From when he did that first press conference at Freo in 2011 i just knew we got something big.
2012-2015 he brought out the best in the team and the club started to not become the laughing stock anymore.
I always said this to my mates - Pavlich has always been the best thing to happen to Freo but had Ross Lyon won a flag i think that mantle would of been taken over by Ross Lyon.

2012 - Elimination Final V Geelong stands out aswell as the 2013 Qualifying Final V Geelong

I wish him nothing but the best! Now it's time to look to the future. Big shoe's to fill once the New Coach is announced!
Hopefully a Premiership in the next 5 years or so

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
Was at the MCG for the Elimination Final in 2012 against Geelong. Total disbelief to be honest when we were up by 40-50 points in the second quarter.

Love ya Rossy, all the best.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs

Funkster

Rookie
Sep 24, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Always a fan of Ross. Reckon he could get the best out of any group he had with him and that's what he did at Freo.

Though I think we were approaching the time for a change, will certainly miss him. Any Freo fan who has been around longer than a decade or so will know what came before Ross and what came after was chalk and cheese. He came in as an outsider with a hard-nosed point of difference this club needed and by the time he left he was purple through and through and his better years had put us front and centre in the AFL world.

Not sure what will come after, but he leaves the club better than when he came, that's all you can ask.

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I will savour every final freo played under him from 2012-15, even the losses.

Not a bad effort what he did in that time considering freo only made finals 3 times in that 1995-2011 period. 3 times in 17 years.

No one can take away the fact he was and always will be the 1st coach to get Freo into a grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back