Thanks scomo, everyone knows 80% vaccinated is hard to achieve. More spin, we’ll never ‘open up’ with our current set of politicians (of all colours)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Factor in a new variant that requires a new vaccine ?

I get that people want certainty but can anyone truly predict with certainty - a date is a placebo for nervous nellies.

At this stage the variants do not require a new vaccine, they will probably require booster shots. However, not to say that a further variant could emerge which causes problems for the vaccinated.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
The UK are at almost 90% of the adult population with at least one dose. So it shows that only a minority appear to be refusing to get vaccinated. If you start vaccinating the under 18's getting 80% is more than achievable.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The UK are at almost 90% of the adult population with at least one dose. So it shows that only a minority appear to be refusing to get vaccinated. If you start vaccinating the under 18's getting 80% is more than achievable.

scomo wasn’t saying one dose

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
scomo wasn’t saying one dose
Yes but if you are happy to get one dose I'm guessing you will get the 2nd dose. I believe the issue is the thinking is upwards to 30% of people here would refuse to get the vaccine full stop. The UK seems to be a example where only about 10% haven't taken up the opportunity to get it.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes but if you are happy to get one dose I'm guessing you will get the 2nd dose. I believe the issue is the thinking is upwards to 30% of people here would refuse to get the vaccine full stop. The UK seems to be a example where only about 10% haven't taken up the opportunity to get it.

Messaging - no vax, no Bali for you! That should get the attention of a lot of those people.

We're catching up on first dose numbers. Fingers crossed

Shannon M

All Australian
Feb 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
What?

16+ fully vaccinated %
  • Tasmania (Coalition) = 24.4%
  • Victoria (Labor) = 19.2%
  • SA (Coalition) = 19.2%
  • NSW (Coalition) = 19.1%
  • Queensland (Labor) = 18.3%
  • WA (Labor) = 16.1%

Haven't included the territories.

Vaccinations will always be worse under labor

Shannon M

All Australian
Feb 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Apparently in Italy if you arent carrying a green vaccinated card you cant go to bars/gym/restaurants etc. Starting this week I think.

If that is proposed here the vaccinated rates should hit that 80% with the remaining 20% exerising their right to not vaccinate I suppose.

I'm sure people will figure out how to create a fake copy on their phone. Each bartender isn't going to analyse the green card for every single person that buys a drink. They might for the first few days, but no-one will care after that. Kind of like the QR codes. And if you do go to a bar or restaurant where they are strict about being vaccinated, you just go to one of dozens or hundreds of venues that don't give a crap.

And if all else fails I stay home and drink for a fraction of the price without being treated like a criminal.

Herd immunity is impossible and never happening. The vaccines don't even provide immunity, the effectiveness of the vaccines are waning against new strains, plus the effectiveness wanes over time in general hence requiring constant boosters for the rest of your life.

100% immunity won't change everything each winter will be COVID season. Even places like the UK have deaths ramping up in the middle of summer despite high vaccination rates.

Shannon M

All Australian
Feb 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
At this stage the variants do not require a new vaccine, they will probably require booster shots. However, not to say that a further variant could emerge which causes problems for the vaccinated.

You require boosters for the rest of your life variants or no variants.

ADE could be an issue for the vaccinated.

Shannon M

All Australian
Feb 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Your opinion has zero value to me. Go bother some others who will fall for your edgelord bullshit.

It's true. You need to take this medical treatment for life. Let's hope they haven't got any of the recipe wrong.

You don't put the first release of a new operating system on your computer do you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I'm sure people will figure out how to create a fake copy on their phone. Each bartender isn't going to analyse the green card for every single person that buys a drink. They might for the first few days, but no-one will care after that. Kind of like the QR codes. And if you do go to a bar or restaurant where they are strict about being vaccinated, you just go to one of dozens or hundreds of venues that don't give a crap.

And if all else fails I stay home and drink for a fraction of the price without being treated like a criminal.

Herd immunity is impossible and never happening. The vaccines don't even provide immunity, the effectiveness of the vaccines are waning against new strains, plus the effectiveness wanes over time in general hence requiring constant boosters for the rest of your life.

100% immunity won't change everything each winter will be COVID season. Even places like the UK have deaths ramping up in the middle of summer despite high vaccination rates.

‘it’s still too soon to make a judgement on herd immunity

vaccinations aren’t even available to every adult in oz yet. The target is fanciful

Shannon M

All Australian
Feb 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
‘it’s still too soon to make a judgement on herd immunity

vaccinations aren’t even available to every adult in oz yet. The target is fanciful

The vaccines don't immunise for a start, vaccinated are still infectious. You can be reinfected with COVID throughout your life. Herd immunity is simply impossible.

RearNaked

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
TEAM MIR!!!!!!!!!
so when there’s 20% of us left should we reduce the league back to 12-16 teams ?

Vaccinations will always be worse under labor
How do you get to this. The reason we are hear is we have a piss poor right wing media of Sky/Nine Media drumming into us that AZ is evil and the spawn of satan and umm err, Squomo betting the house on AZ. The initial rollout was glacial and that was giving glaciers a bad name however it has picked up and supply lines have improved overtime along with the understanding.

From the situation you saw in Taiwan which has a similar population, those who can get vaccinated should seriously consider getting vaccinated with either of the two current options.

Post the election, no matter who is in power, delivery should be easier to arrange. Perhaps a little less Alan Jones and a bit more Percy Jones in your diet Shannon.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The vaccines don't immunise for a start, vaccinated are still infectious. You can be reinfected with COVID throughout your life. Herd immunity is simply impossible.

‘it’s a numbers game, see the long running efforts over influenza. Whatever it is, scomos australia is eons off the pace

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
How do you get to this. The reason we are hear is we have a piss poor right wing media of Sky/Nine Media drumming into us that AZ is evil and the spawn of satan and umm err, Squomo betting the house on AZ. The initial rollout was glacial and that was giving glaciers a bad name however it has picked up and supply lines have improved overtime along with the understanding.

From the situation you saw in Taiwan which has a similar population, those who can get vaccinated should seriously consider getting vaccinated with either of the two current options.

Post the election, no matter who is in power, delivery should be easier to arrange. Perhaps a little less Alan Jones and a bit more Percy Jones in your diet Shannon.

peoples thought process on the decision to have a vaccination is probably completely different from that in the ballot box. Thank god for that too

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So #scottyfrommarketing has a new marketing campaign.

And why?

Because his previous marketing campaigns, more like a * em all and let the states deal with our constitutional responsibilities (section 51(9)), has failed to work.

Nothing the federal government has done since this began leads me to the conclusion that this will be a viable strategy.

Until the blowtorch is actually applied by the majority media (read Murdoch), and applied hard, there is nothing but spin coming from Morrison.

Poor fellow my country indeed.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
the troglodytes who prevent australia from having a sensible power strategy now are preventing us having a sensible covid travel strategy

A bit rich talking about civil liberties when we have a north korEa style travel regime, when connected people no those willing/able to pay 10k for a 1k flight is not a ‘slippery slope’ but a fall off a civil liberties cliff

we need a public shaming of these people

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back