Toast Thanks Stuv

Remove this Banner Ad

1578885028924.png

I think we are going to see Stuv bounce back to his absolute best. Whether that helps Geelong or not is an intriguing question, as we know his disposal can be a little scrubby every now and then and I don't think Hawkins and Ratugolea are enthusiastic of the old chaos ball.

Another neat little side narrative for St Kilda fans this year..

I sincerely hope Stuv didn’t, in any way, act in a manner that would have reduced his trade value any further than the inherent qualities of the situation, as it stood. However, seeing how quickly he has bounced back, one can’t help but be somewhat skeptical.

If, at some point in the future, it comes to light that Scott and co. encouraged Stuv to put in “less than 100%” effort to return to St Kilda’s 2019 season, I would not be surprised at all.

I can’t speak for Jack and his demons as I do not know what they were, nor how he was working through them, but my own (personal and close circle) experience would indicate that this is either a remarkably fast turn around, or he’s simply “pushing through” it harder; which would rather fairly beg the question as to why similar effort was not, ostensibly, applied in 2019.

Happy to see the guy clear of mind and enjoying his life
Yeah without a doubt we all want him to be in some good clean space. I just hate the narrative that's going to evolve next year if he bounces back that Geelong > Saints because Jack overcame his personal demons.

I sincerely hope Stuv didn’t, in any way, act in a manner that would have reduced his trade value any further than the inherent qualities of the situation, as it stood. However, seeing how quickly he has bounced back, one can’t help but be somewhat skeptical.

If, at some point in the future, it comes to light that Scott and co. encouraged Stuv to put in “less than 100%” effort to return to St Kilda’s 2019 season, I would not be surprised at all.

I can’t speak for Jack and his demons as I do not know what they were, nor how he was working through them, but my own (personal and close circle) experience would indicate that this is either a remarkably fast turn around, or he’s simply “pushing through” it harder; which would rather fairly beg the question as to why similar effort was not, ostensibly, applied in 2019.
It really isn't a remarkably fast turn around at all.

Mentally, it sounds as though his head was in a much better space towards the end of last season, he didn't just flick the switch once he was traded, it's something he was working towards for a long time.

Physically, he's been working towards where he's at for about 6 months now, not just a few weeks. It's really not that surprising to see an elite athlete can turn it around and actually lose a bit of weight in that time once his head was in a better place.

Not sure about that 2nd paragraph mate. Sounds ridiculous.

Pissed at the situation. Happy for Stuv.

People suggesting he disrespected our club by having time off and gaining weight must be lucky enough to have never experienced having a mental illness.
I recently had a total mind meltdown and stand to lose almost everything . Business wife and family. I hope to get half as much improvement as what jack Steven looks to have on his face there .
Its only money it’s only footy . He’s a person

I recently had a total mind meltdown and stand to lose almost everything . Business wife and family. I hope to get half as much improvement as what jack Steven looks to have on his face there .
Its only money it’s only footy . He’s a person
I'm really sorry to hear that mate.

As hard is it to see sometimes, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel, hopefully you get to that stage sooner rather than later!!

The trade rankles a bit, but swings and roundabouts. We got Membrey for a packet of chips and he was only a little unlucky not to be AA40 last year.

Geelong would have approached it from the perspective of they don't really need another midfielder on the other side of 30 (note: by Round 1 2020) and it was somewhat up in the air whether he'd even play again at AFL level. Can't blame them, though of course I do. ;)

CursingFijian it really is an intriguing question because as you say, if he is back near his best (emphasis: near), is it really good for Geelong? They would have to carefully juggle him, Selwood and GaJ not starving others of development opportunities.

Yeah without a doubt we all want him to be in some good clean space. I just hate the narrative that's going to evolve next year if he bounces back that Geelong > Saints because Jack overcame his personal demons.
its a bit of a fork in the road what way the narrative runs .. on one hane it could reflect poorly on us as he made such a recovery under the Cats that he couldnt get here ... but on another hand there will be rumour and scuttle that he was perhaps using his illnes as an out cause and we as a club were taken for a ride .. the third option is the understanding the club did the right thing by a guy who they cared about and put his welfare first and he has settled into it remarkably well ....

the issue wont be in the pre-season when everyone is flying ... but come the season when everything isnt shiney new sometimes you can think you have beat the issues back only for them to reappear later down the track .. i dont think one photo of him looking fit and training well is really a clear indication all of his issues are now gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a bit of a fork in the road what way the narrative runs.
Yes, I have to admit I'm being a little pessimistic when I say that the narrative will swing against us. But we are St Kilda, and the media isn't always kind to us.

With the exception of not trading him the year he declared he wanted out, I think the club handled it well. We lost two club champions in 2019 who were battling their own personal demons (and for the record I'm not trying to equate their mental illness). But one was able to walk out the door, and start the healing process and we should be grateful for that.

As I've said before I have no problem with the Trade or Stuv from our end... I loved watching Stuv play for the Saints and could not be happier that he is happy. He deserves it, and its a great outcome for us and him.

But the AFL world needs to know that this was a discussing act on the part of Geelong, and in particular: Scott. It is my hope that Scott will be roundly abused by saints fans at our Home game with Geelong. I hope we give a cheer everytime Stuv touches the ball, but that Scott gets a Feral response everytime he is seen of the screen or is present on the field... Using mental heath as a bargaining chip on national television is an act not befitting an AFL coach, although it is something I would expect of a Scott Brother....

The way I see it is because of personal reasons he just wasn't happy playing for us any more.
He wanted out the yr before and we said no.
He fell apart last season and we didn't get much from him.
The odds of him being in a good headspace and playing good footy at the Saints in 2020 were pretty damn low cos he still didn't want to be there.
Basically he was cooked and stale at StKilda cos off field stuff was affecting him and needed to get out. I don't think he was ever gonna reinvigorate with us again like he has at Geelong.
Yeah its a massive pain in the arse we only got a packet of twistees for him leaving but imo he was never gonna be the player he used to be if he stayed.
No matter what he goes on to do at Geelong the 2020 version of Stuv wouldnt help the Saints get closer to that allusive 2nd premiership.
With all the newfound excitement surrounding our club he last thing we need is a player who doesn't 100% want to be there.
But he gave us bloody great service for many many years so its hard to dislike the bloke .
Hope he gets his head right.

Disliking Geelong on the other hand is rather easy :p

Last edited:
It really isn't a remarkably fast turn around at all.

Mentally, it sounds as though his head was in a much better space towards the end of last season, he didn't just flick the switch once he was traded, it's something he was working towards for a long time.

Physically, he's been working towards where he's at for about 6 months now, not just a few weeks. It's really not that surprising to see an elite athlete can turn it around and actually lose a bit of weight in that time once his head was in a better place.

Not sure about that 2nd paragraph mate. Sounds ridiculous.

There were photos, closer to the trade, showing Stuv had already shed a great deal of the weight that he was carrying during the return to play later in the season. He was nearly back to his usual “slightly heavier” self by early December. That’s not a great deal of time.

As for the second paragraph; what is ridiculous? Scott was heavily talking down Stuv’s ability to regain fitness and form, and was regularly pulled up, here, for doing so. I think it would be obtuse to believe that this behaviour wouldn’t have also manifested in Scott & co. asking Stuv to facilitate this rhetoric becoming a reality.

Do I think Stuv did it? No. But I’d be surprised if he wasn’t asked the question.

I don't condone gambling and usually make on average 1 bet a year (usually on the melbourne cup or brownlow or something)

This year my 1 bet I placed a couple of weeks ago- $100 for the west indies to beat ireland in some one dayer (which they did), and jack steven to win the brownlow.

I'm sure I'll never see my $100 again, but I think jack will tear it up this year as a fulltime mid and make our club look very stupid in the eyes of the general footy public who won't know and/or care about the delicate situation we were put in to let him go.

$13,000 will go a long way to helping me through this tough time if my worst case fears are realised

Remove this Banner Ad

Back