Thankyou Daniel Harford

Remove this Banner Ad

Harford's comments haven't really taken aim at the substance of what Sheehan said, he's more attacking her right to say anything at all. That's fair enough, I suppose, but to my mind it somehow emphasises that Siekman is the coach of a sinking ship...we just don't want anyone from another club pointing out that fact!

Think he's the next coach Daniel
Need to get a bit more serious going forward
Got a bit to work with ,

I'm not saying that our Coach won't be replaced either but surely its not for the head of AFLW at Richmond to be telling our club what to do. She's akin to Robbo's take on JDG.....pot/ kettle/hypocrite!

Exactly. She shouldn't be commenting on other clubs coaches getting sacked while she is working at Richmond.

I'm not saying that our Coach won't be replaced either but surely its not for the head of AFLW at Richmond to be telling our club what to do. She's akin to Robbo's take on JDG.....pot/ kettle/hypocrite!

Slobbo would say leave the Player Alone IF it was 1 of the Peptide Bummers

Exactly. She shouldn't be commenting on other clubs coaches getting sacked while she is working at Richmond.

Given her background and circumstances one would think Ms Sheahan would politely decline any commentary on the performance of a male coach in a female code.

Harford's comments haven't really taken aim at the substance of what Sheehan said, he's more attacking her right to say anything at all. That's fair enough, I suppose, but to my mind it somehow emphasises that Siekman is the coach of a sinking ship...we just don't want anyone from another club pointing out that fact!

“We’re 0-3 in the W program, clearly there’s some issues in the men’s program as well ... so that’s just the life of living at Collingwood when you’re not winning games of footy. So that’s not news.”

I don't think he's tried to sugar-coat our position.

“We’re 0-3 in the W program, clearly there’s some issues in the men’s program as well ... so that’s just the life of living at Collingwood when you’re not winning games of footy. So that’s not news.”

I don't think he's tried to sugar-coat our position.

I think that Harford's response seems too defensive, that he's protesting a bit too much, but I agree that he's not sugarcoating the situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not copping that from Harford either. You can’t be using your own radio breakfast program to take shots at employees of other clubs. It’s not as significant an issue as Sheehan’s comments, but he shouldn’t have responded in that manner, IMO.

Didn't hear the actual show but if as reported in the article then Harford's comments are fine insomuch as he's merely highlighted Sheahan's comments are "unchartered waters" and he thinks that Richmond would likely have taken her aside for a word. Where's the issue in anything he's said?

Kate should not have made those comments but having said that I am very unimpressed in the way the side has been coached.

What we have is a group of girls, many of whom have very little development prior to joining Collingwood and he is coaching them to play like a mens AFL. He is falling for the same trick that many local coaches fall for and that is playing a game style that AFL clubs do and have strategies( high rotations) that AFL do. IMO the lower the standard the more simple the game plan should be. He has them switching and chipping the ball sideways when most of them struggle to hit targets from 30 metres. In the next few years as the skill level improves you can start to implement some changes to the strategy but the game plan for these girls is just ridiculous. Wayne needs to coach to their skill level. He is not the only one. I reckon a few of these AFLW coaches have got a bit ahead of themselves because they are coaching big name clubs. Keep it basic coaches.

Didn't hear the actual show but if as reported in the article then Harford's comments are fine insomuch as he's merely highlighted Sheahan's comments are "unchartered waters" and he thinks that Richmond would likely have taken her aside for a word. Where's the issue in anything he's said?

Why am I not surprised that you don’t get why this is an issue hah?

“It was interesting phrasing used by Kate yesterday,” Harford told RSN on Tuesday.

“I think she found herself, as many do when you’re in football and you have other positions in club land, caught up in a moment and the way it came out ... the phrasing got me a bit.

Harford is a host on RSN and a coach at Collingwood so he’s used one platform as an employee to comment on another.

Overall I think his message was acceptable, other than the second comment being hypocritical, and I’m glad someone from the club came out to defend Siekman. The issue is that it was him that delivered it of all the people that shouldn’t be commenting he’s number 1. It always makes me cringe when Ed comments on his shows re other clubs issues, but he’s never gone this far, IMO.

I also think this is the biggest football story of the year, to this point, and should be getting the airtime JDG has received. Can you imagine the uproar if Walsh said B Scott should be sacked and then say Dal Santo was working as a coach there jumped on SEN to defend Scott? It’d be the biggest thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:

“It was interesting phrasing used by Kate yesterday,” Harford told RSN on Tuesday.

“I think she found herself, as many do when you’re in football and you have other positions in club land, caught up in a moment and the way it came out ... the phrasing got me a bit.

Harford is a host on RSN and a coach at Collingwood so he’s used one platform as an employee to comment on another.

Overall I think his message was acceptable, other than the second comment being hypocritical, and I’m glad someone from the club came out to defend Siekman. The issue is that it was him that delivered it of all the people that shouldn’t be commenting he’s number 1. It always makes me cringe when Ed comments on his shows re other clubs issues, but he’s never gone this far, IMO.

I also think this is the biggest football story of the year, to this point, and should be getting the airtime JDG has received. Can you imagine the uproar if Walsh said B Scott should be sacked and then say Dal Santo was working as a coach there jumped on SEN to defend Scott? It’d be the biggest thing since sliced bread.

Make it all about me then. I could have equally suggested that I'm not surprised you'd identify some pretentious moralistic issue with his comments when on face value (if as reported) they appear professional and balanced, almost apologetic for her. Go figure.

Make it all about me then. I could have equally suggested that I'm not surprised you'd identify some pretentious moralistic issue with his comments when on face value (if as reported) they appear professional and balanced, almost apologetic for her. Go figure.

Quite the opposite it’s all about Harford. You made it about yourself, and I’m tipping will continue to do so, when you questioned my opinion without reading my initial post or the article. On this one I don’t expect my opinion to be popular, the opposite in fact, but it would be nice if it were actually taken on board.

Quite the opposite it’s all about Harford. You made it about yourself when you questioned my opinion without reading my initial post or the article. On this one I don’t expect my opinion to be popular, the opposite in fact, but it would be nice if it were actually taken on board.

Yeah. Obviously. How dare anyone question your opinion. Thanks for making all those wild presumptions but I did read your post and the article.

Let's just start with a casual backhander...

Both right the AFLW is the ultimate amateur hour from coaches to players.

And dont forget to include the administration - I dont know who thinks that playing 16 a side on a full size field is a good idea... or trying to tell coaches to think about the attractiveness of their strategy.

But it is a brand new professional competition, in a sport where top level play hasnt really existed before, and where the development and training that the players have been exposed to falls overwhelmingly short of their male counterparts.

I expect that it will have that amateur feel for another 5 years or so - really until the majority have players have been able to play junior footy in a world where AFLW exists.

Having said that though, it is worth being patient for. There is definately a market for the women's game, and one that also catches people who do not support/follow the mens game.

It is a great venture that will only improve year by year. It will obviously never match the mens game, but i reckon a market share (both supporters and $) better than the NBL and A League is very easily attainable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back