danzy_rocks

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2001
trevor barker oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sandy & Pies
I've got another debate... not actaully speaking in this one so yay!!!
Would really appreciate any help... topic is that contact sports should be banned in schools, affirmative... I reckon we got the good side but still it'll be hard!

hawkfan5

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2000
Ausdoc Oval
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Contact sports should not be banned from schools..

They give children the opportunity to participate in sports and improve their skills in things that they may plan to continue their careers in once they leave schools..

There is always danger of injury, but there is danger of injury in almost everything we do.. if you wear the right protective equipment and go hard and straight at what ever the objective of the game is, then you won't get hurt.

Smokin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Let them chose - a wide array of sports should be offered and students should be offered to chose what they want to participate in.

Contact sports are character building, but anyhow, say we ban footy from schools - kids will play for a local club!

totally useless, but there are always people in society who beleive we should dictate what people should do and not do such as this.

Contact sports also offer an outlet for people to vent their anger/frustration that can build up. We need this, especially males! lol

35eye

Club Legend
Dec 8, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They banned British Bulldog when I was in primary school. That was harsh. Then they banned poison ball. It just made us resent the establishment, even at a tender age.

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
Originally posted by danzy_rocks
I've got another debate... not actaully speaking in this one so yay!!!
Would really appreciate any help... topic is that contact sports should be banned in schools, affirmative... I reckon we got the good side but still it'll be hard!

Don't think about it in the context of kid safety. Think about it from the school's POV...do you know how much a good lawyer could take a school down for if a kid got hurt in their care? :D

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
Team sports are I think a necessary thing to have for childeren today especially. they force children to interact with other children and understand team work properly.

unfortunately in this country for those against contact sport I can only think of basketball & volleyball that are team sports which are non-contact.

Keep them it didn't hurt me.

aggels

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2001
Melbourne (Bombers)
Other Teams
Essendon
Originally posted by Bucks
sport should be compulsory and contact sport should not be banned.

If it does get banned we might be see boys start playing netball.

There's nothing wrong with boys playing netball!

Umm, okay, I disagree with contact sports being banned, but I'm trying to think of reasons why it should.

• Kids can get hurt, and with all the other precautions schools are taking to avoid getting sued nowadays, it doesn't make sense to allow contact sports.
  • There are plenty of clubs outside of schools, if kids are going to learn how to play these games, then they are able to do so, with their parents consent, and in an environment that is more likely to teach them how to play safely, with people who are experienced in the sport, and they will be under much closer supervision, and closer to medical attention.
  • It promotes violence. If someone is allowed to tackle someone on a footy field, but isn't allowed to make the same sort of contact in normal playing, then it sends mixed messages
  • It promotes bickering, and more disruptions in the classroom. I know about this, I sat in with a grade two class for 2 weeks years ago. Every single afternoon, after lunch, someone will have hurt someone during a game of some contact sport at lunchtime, and the "victim" would get upset, either hurt the other one back, and sook. Invarably, it would take 20 minutes to get the teacher to sort the kids out and get them to shut up.
  • Sport is important, however there are many other non contact sports which kids can play to get fit, and without getting hurt, which at young ages, are probably a lot more fun, and don't leave out those kids that are physically weaker than others.

Back