List Mgmt. That sobering moment when...

Remove this Banner Ad

Our midfield is good very good at full strength but our forward line and back line are the worst in the league. Bottom 4 for pies this year. We need to rebuild now and start fresh with a new coach. Bucks should of been sacked last year. Plus our club since 2012 has became very stale new someone to rejuvenate the club with new ideas!!! From 2000 to 2010 we were the leaders in facilitaties now we have fallen behind and no longer the leaders. We generate more money then any other club but we're is the money going?

I don't agree. I still think the list is fine. It's easy for players ot look bad under a s**t coach.

No one was talking up the Dogs list as a premiership one 2 years ago. But suddenly a good coach comes along and the players play for him and they suddenly have a great list? Yeah no.

I think a legitimately good coach would do wonders for many of our seemingly "poor" players.

In my eyes, the only ACTUAL terrible players we have are:

- Smith
- Maynard
- Blair

These are 3 players whom the coach has full faith in and gives them opportunities week in week out despite having no good reason to and they STILL look terrible. That's not a good sign. Even when we WIN those 3 look terrible.

All the other players that many like to bag will look fine once we get a decent coach.
There's worse players than just those 3.
Goldsack Fasolo Langdon Adams all need to go.

Look I agree that Mayne and Wells were dumb recuits Dunn was picked up because we needed someone who can fill that role for a season or two while players like McLarty develops. I am not disappointed with that.

One thing that really annoys me is people bagging out drafting. It all harks back to the 2013 draft because Scharenberg and Freeman failed but that's not down to poor drafting it's all down to luck. People rate the Dogs as they took Bont at 4, the same Bont that we wanted at 6 from a long way out even though a lot of so called experts said that 6 was to early to take him. He wasn't available at 6 so we took Scharenberg. The fact he has failed to come on is down to the fact that he has missed two seasons with ACL injuries. Drafting Freeman at 10 a player with no history of soft tissue injuries isn't an example of poor drafting it's just unlucky that he damages his hamstring tendon. It's all down to luck and we have been unlucky

But our drafting has been poor.

Since 2009 not one player drafted by the club has gone on to make the All Australian team. Not one.

From 2000 to 2008 we had 10 players chosen through the draft who went on to become AA.

How can you not say that our drafting has been poor?

The closest we have been is Treloar who we traded for and made The AA squad last year.

In addition to this we have continually overlooked KPP and drafted a plethora of mids with average skills.

And finally we have hardly had a great track record in identifying and trading in talent. Do I need to go through the long list of spuds we have traded for. Let's not even discuss Wells and Mayne.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

But our drafting has been poor.

Since 2009 not one player drafted by the club has gone on to make the All Australian team. Not one.

From 2000 to 2008 we had 10 players chosen through the draft who went on to become AA.

How can you not say that our drafting has been poor?

The closest we have been is Treloar who we traded for and made The AA squad last year.

In addition to this we have continually overlooked KPP and drafted a plethora of mids with average skills.

And finally we have hardly had a great track record in identifying and trading in talent. Do I need to go through the long list of spuds we have traded for. Let's not even discuss Wells and Mayne.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is there any danger people excluding Wells and Mayne from the "trading" discussion ? It is not difficult to comprehend that they were FA pick ups and in no way impacted upon our drafting capacity (unless we were going to pick up a Wells equal with Pick 108 we got for Marley). With both of these guys hold breath for 6 -8 weeks and then make a better based determination. I know patience is a virtue that is in short supply around this joint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting because i had a pretty senior player tell me only a few weeks ago that Sanderson was a breath of fresh air ??

I don't want to go into detail but my mail is that things are not too rosy. If we do appoint a caretaker coach this season then I hope it's Burns.

I don't want to go into detail but my mail is that things are not too rosy. If we do appoint a caretaker coach this season then I hope it's Burns.
Obviously things must have soured quickly ? This is one of my concerns with the inner sanctum at the moment. Our boys don't seem to be able to suck up their grievances , which i imagine are relatively petty, and move on for the greater cause. Too much small stuff centred around the individual getting in the way of important stuff.
Surely Burnsy is the appropriate Caretaker but i am hoping, probably optimistically, that this is an irrelevant hypothetical conversation after we win the next 4 games.

Yes you are right.. just one key factor (kicking) has put us 0-2 instead of 2-0. Kicking is not something a coach can control during a game or week to week.. it is the players responsibility.
But:
Gameplans will impact disposal efficiency
This is the list the coach built, the players we have, and their skill issues reflect recruitment and drafting decisions/priorities made.
We have a football department with coaches who are supposed to work on developing and improving players. A key part of that would be to improve kicking. 5 years, BIG list turnover.. no improvement.

It has been a long term problem for us. It is nothing new. The coach cannot be excused from the failure to overcome this area of weakness. He's had more than ample time and opportunity.

Also, your argument, that the 22 players we put on the park all have mental strength issues which affects their kicking; and that this supposed group psychology is something the coaches cannot influence or be held to account for, is not very well thought out. Getting players performing at their best regularly, and mentally tough and prepared is well and truly part of a coaches job. The coach IS the main man in charge of moulding and nurturing the overall group psyche.

Like you, it seems I have also been guilty of over-estimating the skill base of our list.

Game plans can impact disposal efficiency but what we're seeing is just plain poor execution of skills and decision making. No game plan can counter that. Recruiting is a factor but the lower you fall in the draft order, the less likely you are to recruit guys elite in these areas. Trading again is limited to who is available. Even recruiting guys with very good to elite skills in these areas isn't a guarantee as we saw with WHE's couple of clangers.

How many other coaches had high picks the. Tom Scully Jack Watts Cale Morton Jack Trengove to name a few. Roos knows what he is doing

I think you'll find that was down to a bloke named Taylor.

The dogs were perceived to be a rabble when Beveridge took over.

Things can turn very quickly with the right man to steer the ship.

Choosing the right man is the difficult part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back