Opinion That's it - I'm done!!!

What would it take for you to rule a line, and say "AFL can go * itself"?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You called the afl dodgey but love the crows

Contradicting call considering the crows and the 17 clubs are responsible for the afl

I suppose no different to us voting in the government then complaining about who we voted in

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do you get the impression I love our admin? I love the footy team, but those running our club are ****ed.

And it's a long bow you've taken, because I love the Crows I somehow have to be happy with the body that governs the game?

As for your point about the government. I vote for Pyne but I sure don't love him.

I may have to give up AFL for the sake of my mental health and I'm not being hyperbolic.

I believe there may very well be some club issues with the Crows, but far and away the bigger problem is that most young blokes don't want to live in SA/Adelaide, as opposed to playing for the Crows. Again, not saying the club itself doesn't have issues (there may very well be some issues there), but I believe that's not the primary issue.

When we say this we conveniently overlook the fact Port power don't have the same problem.

When we say this we conveniently overlook the fact Port power don't have the same problem.
Good players leaving?

Maybe we'll find out one day :)

I remember in Round 23 last year I think it was Jake Lever. He got absolutely mad at one of his teammates for making a dumb play that gifted the Eagles an easy goal. I start to wonder after all these years of disappointment if there may be some unrest at this club. Hopefully from today onward they play every game with anger and determination. I remember in 1998 when we were struggling at one point during the season, but somehow we lifted ourselves to great heights.

old poor habits have reared there head, end of Sando era stuff all coming back, tell ya what if you paper over cracks they don't go away at the foremost tackling/tackling technique has been putrid the past few games, back at the level of our worst years

Oh look the AFC and the future...

giphy.gif

Because people actually give a sh*t about their club. Sorta the reason they support them in the first place.

I get that. I care as much as the next person, but your emotional response will have no impact on the outcome so why let it get the better of you?

If our list management sit on their hands and not get at least 2 quality midfielders in. Our team is on the verge we need to sign both Lever and McGovern. We need to trade off picks from 2017 and 2018 if required to get what we need. Gibbs is a definite target. Martin or Kelly would surprise me if they wanted to come to SA. Rockliff is still a possibility as long as he hasn't signed pick 2 compo would be appealing to Brisbane. If we don't go all out for a flag chance it will really annoy me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• In the Draft, the Crows should focus mainly on SA-based players. Yes, this is limiting our target pool of talent, but it's going to massively reduce our "leakage" of talent wanting to leave, once we've invested time and effort in them.

Let's not underestimate what limiting our talent pool means.

In 2014, 9 players were drafted from the SANFL - Durdin, Wigg, Rose, Hamilton, Neal-Bullen, Stretch, Daniel, Gregson, and Gore.

Meanwhile, we picked Lever (2 picks before Durdin), McGovern, and Dear (after Gore) as well as Wigg.

How would our squad look without Lever or Gov but with Durdin and Daniel?

Similarly in 2013 - Tippett meant we started with pick 23 (Matt Crouch). The next South Australian boys drafted after 23 were Lemmens, Dumont, Karpany, Hewett and Giles.

Later years are still early to call, but I'm a big fan of drafting the best plater available and establishing a culture that players want to be part of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that your way of saying pay up for Gibbs... ;)
If Lever and McGovern leave on top of all the others then I think we have to start questioning whether 'best available' is really working, particularly as we seem to get unders with most trades

If Lever and McGovern leave on top of all the others then I think we have to start questioning whether 'best available' is really working, particularly as we seem to get unders with most trades
Or the gap we accept between the best available local & interstate recruit perhaps.

Or the gap we accept between the best available local & interstate recruit perhaps.
I don't think we should compromise on talent. Don't want us to take a lesser SA kid just because they'd be more likely to stay.

I think we have to accept though that a 1st rounder in 2017 may not be as valuable to us as a 1st rounder in 2018 (where there are purported to be several top SA kids). Then our trade/draft strategy stems from that.

I don't think we should compromise on talent. Don't want us to take a lesser SA kid just because they'd be more likely to stay.

I think we have to accept though that a 1st rounder in 2017 may not be as valuable to us as a 1st rounder in 2018 (where there are purported to be several top SA kids). Then our trade/draft strategy stems from that.
Not an unreasonable strategy when planning.

Hopefully we can start getting our share of father & sons to help the cause

And if they stay, we can put them alongside Sloane, Talia, Brad and Matt Crouch, Otten, Hartigan, Cameron, Kelly, Greenwood, Mackay, Douglas, Walker and Atkins as draftees from outside SA who stayed. Not to mention players happy to be traded to the Crows, which includes Lynch, Jenkins, Cheney and Jacobs. And then there's Eddie. Our list would look a lot different (and based on the hypothetical state of origin teams that were floating around a few weeks ago, pretty ordinary) without best available as our strategy.

We can either focus on Dangerfield, Tippett and Gunston, or look at the balance of our success in retention.

And if they stay, we can put them alongside Sloane, Talia, Brad and Matt Crouch, Otten, Hartigan, Cameron, Kelly, Greenwood, Mackay, Douglas, Walker and Atkins as draftees from outside SA who stayed. Not to mention players happy to be traded to the Crows, which includes Lynch, Jenkins, Cheney and Jacobs. And then there's Eddie. Our list would look a lot different (and based on the hypothetical state of origin teams that were floating around a few weeks ago, pretty ordinary) without best available as our strategy.

We can either focus on Dangerfield, Tippett and Gunston, or look at the balance of our success in retention.
The position isn't whether every single player we've drafted from interstate has left. Also the only picks that have any real trade value are 1st and 2nd rounders so out of your list that only accounts for Talia, Matt Crouch, Otten and Douglas (plus Tippett, Dangerfield, Gunston)

The comparison needs to be (interstaters who stayed + what we got back in exchange for the interstaters who left) compared with what we could have traded those picks for at the time.

The thinking with early picks has always been take the best available - it either works out or later on you can trade them for something of equal value. However, the power has swung in favour of the 'destination club' in trades to the point that we got minimal return even for jets like Gunston and Dangerfield. Plus there's the slightly higher cost to keep interstaters here compared with locals.

Take this year. We have a first round pick. Should we take whoever is the best kid in the draft - highly likely to be an interstater? Or should we use it to help bring an SA kid who is a bit more of a known quantity home in a trade? Eg an Aaron Francis

The position isn't whether every single player we've drafted from interstate has left. Also the only picks that have any real trade value are 1st and 2nd rounders so out of your list that only accounts for Talia, Matt Crouch, Otten and Douglas (plus Tippett, Dangerfield, Gunston)

The comparison needs to be (interstaters who stayed + what we got back in exchange for the interstaters who left) compared with what we could have traded those picks for at the time.

The thinking with early picks has always been take the best available - it either works out or later on you can trade them for something of equal value. However, the power has swung in favour of the 'destination club' in trades to the point that we got minimal return even for jets like Gunston and Dangerfield. Plus there's the slightly higher cost to keep interstaters here compared with locals.

Take this year. We have a first round pick. Should we take whoever is the best kid in the draft - highly likely to be an interstater? Or should we use it to help bring an SA kid who is a bit more of a known quantity home in a trade? Eg an Aaron Francis

I think we all know the ability to get good value in a trade is compromised by the fact that Gunston (for example) can demand a trade to Hawthorn rather than Adelaide being able to get a potentially better offer from elsewhere.

Let's assume for a second that Lever goes. We could have picked Durdin as the best available local boy. Right at the moment, a Lever is streets ahead of Durdin, to the point that whatever (below par) trade we might get for Lever would likely still be be better than Durdin.

If we'd traded pick 14 in 2014, what might we have got? Rhys Stanley went for pick 21, Patful for 21, Ryder for 17 and 37, O'Rourke for 19 and 40. Would you package Lever and Wigg for Ryder? Yes, probably. For O'Rourke? Never.

As far as this year goes, if Francis is better than pick 17 or wherever we land, pull the trigger. If not, I don't care if Francis is a local boy.

I think we all know the ability to get good value in a trade is compromised by the fact that Gunston (for example) can demand a trade to Hawthorn rather than Adelaide being able to get a potentially better offer from elsewhere.

Let's assume for a second that Lever goes. We could have picked Durdin as the best available local boy. Right at the moment, a Lever is streets ahead of Durdin, to the point that whatever (below par) trade we might get for Lever would likely still be be better than Durdin.
That's exactly what I'm not saying. If Durdin is the only SA guy around that pick likely to be available and we don't rate him then trade it away. Trade it for someone's first rounder the following year. Or for a player.

If we'd traded pick 14 in 2014, what might we have got? Rhys Stanley went for pick 21, Patful for 21, Ryder for 17 and 37, O'Rourke for 19 and 40. Would you package Lever and Wigg for Ryder? Yes, probably. For O'Rourke? Never.
If you can't come up with a suitable trade option involving a first round pick then why would you ever bother trading

As far as this year goes, if Francis is better than pick 17 or wherever we land, pull the trigger. If not, I don't care if Francis is a local boy.
That's fine but that's what we've always done.

We may well end up keeping McGovern and Lever. I hope we do. But if we're having to pay ridiculous over the odds amount to keep guys like Jenkins and Brad Crouch (and McGovern and Lever) then is it really worth it because it will compromise us in other areas.

That's exactly what I'm not saying. If Durdin is the only SA guy around that pick likely to be available and we don't rate him then trade it away. Trade it for someone's first rounder the following year. Or for a player.

If you can't come up with a suitable trade option involving a first round pick then why would you ever bother trading

That's fine but that's what we've always done.

We may well end up keeping McGovern and Lever. I hope we do. But if we're having to pay ridiculous over the odds amount to keep guys like Jenkins and Brad Crouch (and McGovern and Lever) then is it really worth it because it will compromise us in other areas.

I just think that whether you trade picks until the right local boy comes along, or look to focus on bringing local boys back via trade, you are limiting the club to something like 10% of the player pool. I think it's ultimately a defensive strategy, based on a fear of losing players that we may or may not lose.

Anyway, let's agree that we need to sign Lever and McGovern and move on to strengthen the squad for 2018.

Back