The ‘90s vs today

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
It wasn't a terrible side at all, and a change of coach got us moving in the right direction very quickly! Hopefully something similar can happen this time around!
Fingers crossed it was sad Tetley Tom over trained us for the replay.

I was born in ‘87, so too young to remember the ‘90s. Question for the older folk… are things as dire (on-field) now as they were in the ‘90s? I understand off-field is a different thing, as the club was a basket case, but I’m talking on-field.

Bear in mind, the ‘90s crew didn’t have the current set up the football department and players now have.

Personally, this is as deplorable a Collingwood FC I’ve seen from a football department perspective as there has been in my lifetime.
Personally I don't consider our on field issues so "dire".
The 90's are world away from what the AFL is now.
The two era are not comparable.

Our biggest concern is whether we chose a total muppett for a coach.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Personally I don't consider our on field issues so "dire".
The 90's are world away from what the AFL is now.
The two era are not comparable.

Our biggest concern is whether we chose a total muppett for a coach.

I just love that you refer to "older folk" commenting on the 90's....I better shut up about the 50's!

Trickster

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
I've been to 937 Collingwood games since 1965 when I first became a member. You 1950s guys are the older folks!
You were historian for 2 years then thought you should become a member 😀

You'd have some great stories. Wow 937 games. You wouldn't have missed too many.

How did you become our historian?

Have you ever thought of sharing stories (non-confidential ones of course) of players, seasons etc)? Some obscure ones would be interesting if you have the inclination.

Maggie Greg

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
You were historian for 2 years then thought you should become a member 😀

You'd have some great stories. Wow 937 games. You wouldn't have missed too many.

How did you become our historian?

Have you ever thought of sharing stories (non-confidential ones of course) of players, seasons etc)? Some obscure ones would be interesting if you have the inclination.
Mate I am historian of Collingwood and my area of expertise is the period 1963-1990. I am not THE Collingwood historian.

I have posted many articles over the years albeit not so much lately.

I have kept a record of every Collingwood game I have attended as a member that is how I know the number.

Last edited:
Mate I a historian of Collingwood and my area of expertise is the period 1963-1990. I am not THE Collingwood historian.

I have kept a record of every Collingwood game I have attended as a member that is how I know the number.

Favorite home and away game of all time?

Trickster

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Mate I a historian of Collingwood and my area of expertise is the period 1963-1990. I am not THE Collingwood historian.

Apologies for the confusion. I took it as you were the official historian of CFC.

Please feel free to share any links of your articles if any of those are available electronically.

I love reading stories of yesteryear. I was born in mid 70s and remember learning of the GFs we lost in that era via books from older siblings which to this day has fuelled my totally irrational hatred of Carlton to the point where I almost enjoy their losses more than some of our wins. Not that I enjoyed reading those but I have genuine interest in our history, plus AFL more broadly.

Your dedication to go to that many games is impressive.

Maggie Greg

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Favorite home and away game of all time?
One of them from H & A games is Collingwood v Carlton R4 1969 in the third quarter we kicked 12 5 77 to 0 2 2 at Princes Park.

Here is an article I wrote some years ago about the greatest Collingwood quarter ever played.

BLUES HUMILIATED AS MAGPIES ROAR HOME

Carlton v Collingwood R4 26 April 1969

After three rounds of the 1969 season, Collingwood had just won their first game against lowly Melbourne after going down in the opener to the Hawks and then falling short of the Tigers in the last quarter at Victoria Park. It was an inauspicious start after a disappointing 1968 where the Pies missed the finals for the first time in 5 years under Coach Bob Rose.

In contrast, the Blues were sitting on top of the ladder undefeated and were the reigning premiers after their 3 point triumph over Essendon in the 1968 Grand Final.

The two arch enemies were drawn to play at Princes Park on the day after Anzac Day. The ground had not been a happy hunting ground for Collingwood in the previous three seasons.

Collingwood made 3 changes from the team that downed Melbourne the week before. Out went young half back John Bell and rover Danny Hibbert who were both injured, whilst second string ruckman Vaughan Ellis was dropped to 20th man.

Collingwood forward Ian Graham who had only had one game of football in two years was rushed back into the team in what was seen as a calculated risk. He had not played senior football since the 1966 Grand Final in a year when he was Collingwood’s leading goalkicker with 58 goals. He missed 1967 because he was overseas working and then missed 1968 due to a ruptured achilles tendon for which he needed two operations. In his first game back in the Reserves against Melbourne the week before he kicked 11 goals.

Another important inclusion for this game was Graeme "Jerker" Jenkin who had recovered from a knee injury from Round 1. The third inclusion was first gamer, young wingman Jeff Pitts. What a game to make your debut in! The Collingwood team was

B. Brian McKenzie Shane Whelan Terry Waters
HB Lee Adamson Ted Potter John Greening
C Ricky Watt Barry Price Colin Tully
HF Des Tuddenham Ian Graham Con Britt
F Graeme Jenkin Peter McKenna Jeff Pitts

R Len Thompson Ross Dunne
R Wayne Richardson

19th Max Urqhuart 20th Vaughan Ellis

Carlton were raging favourites but the Magpies were not without some support. The biggest query was on the Magpie backline which was seen as not being able to hold the Carlton forward line which boasted names such as Jeasaulenko, Robertson, Quirk, Ricky McLean (father of Brock McLean) and Ian Nicoll. It was also thought the Blues backline of Collins, Walls, Hall, McKay and Kerr could hold the Pies.

Carlton had only 2 weeks earlier kicked a then record score of 30 30 210 against Hawthorn.

Thompson was seen as the key to the Magpie hopes after he had hit some form at last the week before. But he was up against Big Nick.

It was a tight and fast opening as Carlton won the toss and kicked to the Heatley Stand end. It ended up with the forward lines dominating and Carlton went to a lead of 41 to 33.

The second quarter was much the same with the Blues taking a 5 point lead in at the main change. Neither team had been able to get a break and the pressure was intense. The Pies were playing well away from home and teaming together without anyone being overly outstanding. Thompson was holding his own in the ruck and it was thought that while he did that, the Pies were an outside chance.

The Pies were a chance alright. The first half had been tough, fast and uncompromising. But in one of the most scintillating quarters the Pies have ever played away from home, they completely dominated a bamboozled Carlton kicking an amazing 12 5 77 to 0 2 2 in a quarter that those present still remember fondly and talk about to this day, including me watching it as an 11 year old.

Old timers said to score 12 5 77 against Carlton at Carlton in one quarter where the Blues only kicked 2 behinds, revived memories of Collingwood’s great teams of the past. Collingwood president Tom Sherrin told the players afterwards, “I have never been prouder of a Collingwood side. I have never seen the Magpies play better”.

Collingwood ran out the game as 64 point winners 23 15 153 to 13 11 89. Ron Barassi said the Blues were not as good as they thought they were.

When the teams cam out for the second half there was nothing to indicate that Carlton were well and truly about to have their faces and their reputation rubbed into the stinking, Princes Park turf.

Collingwood took control of the game with great speed and control of the ball. Carlton could hardly touch it. One minute Carlton was 5 points ahead. Only nine minutes later it was four goals behind. And the much lauded Blues defence was in tatters as it disintegrated under the Collingwood onslaught.

Here is how Collingwood scooted ahead:- one goal in 1 minute, four goals in 9 minutes, eight goals in 17 minutes, 10 goals in 20 minutes and 12.5 for the quarter.

Captain Des Tuddenham, ruck rover John Greening (who mischievously had been selected on the half back flank) and rover Wayne Richardson, led the third quarter charge with three goals each for the quarter. Deputy Vice Captain Richardson’s 3 goals were scored in the space of three minutes. He had been quiet before that but Tuddenham and Greening were already starring in the first half and they continued on with the business in the classic third quarter.

At half time Bob Rose switched Ian Graham to full forward and Peter McKenna to centre half forward which resulted in the attack looking more lively.

But it was the centre bounce clearances where Collingwood took a stranglehold on the quarter and the game. They generated drive which led to the Blues being brushed aside as if they were the Little League Blues. Jerka Jenkin took the knock outs and Colin Tully was instrumental in getting a lot of the centre clearances.

The last quarter saw the frustration in the Blues emerge and it looked likely to become a last man standing affair. Len Thompson and Ted Potter were reported along with Carlton's Ricky McLean and Peter Jones. The charges were laid by 5 umpires Thompson was reported for hitting Vin Waite (father of Jarrod Waite), and Ted Potter for hitting Nicholls resulting in 6 stitches to his eye.

The charges were to be thrown out after the umpires failed to lodge the report sheets in time in what proved a major embarrassment to the VFL.

After the game Bob Rose was satisfied that the mid week planning for the game had all fallen into place nicely. He said, “We had Carlton tabbed after a big meeting on Thursday night. No matter what and how many switches Carlton made, we were prepared for them and could always come up with an answer. All of our players knew exactly what to do and what was required”.

Bobby Rose described the win as the best in his time as coach and he likened it to the effort of the Magpies defeating Geelong in the 1953 Grand Final some 16 years earlier.

Collingwood had a number of stars out of the game. John Greening was the big star for Collingwood getting kicks at will and ending up with 7 goals as ruck rover. He was unanimously best on ground. Thompson, Britt, Tuddenham, Jenkin and Tully were great for the Pies.

In a post script and not surprisingly, Len Thompson was spat on by angry Carlton supporters after the game as he walked from the Collingwood rooms to the Carlton rooms for the after match get together. During the walk Thompson was subjected to a barrage of abuse then as he walked up the race, a Carlton supporter who had followed Thompson across the ground spat at him.

Carlton v Collingwood
6 5 41 5 3 33
10 7 67 9 8 62
10 9 69 21 13 139
13 11 89 23 15 153

Best: Greening (best on ground) Waters, Jenkin, Tully, Adamson, Tuddenham, Thompson, Britt.

Goals: Greening 7, Tuddenham 3, Waters 3, Wayne Richardson 3, Graham 3, McKenna 2, Britt Jenkin

Mate I am historian of Collingwood and my area of expertise is the period 1963-1990. I am not THE Collingwood historian.

Do you know the status of any plans for a club museum?

I know circa 10 years ago that Ed floated the idea of a museum on a new mezzanine deck built inside the glasshouse (inside the main structure, above and behind where the merchandise shop is today)

Then there was the idea of building one where the old cafe / bar used to be - but that area now seems to be reserved for the medical centre expansion?

I thought it had all been forgotten until Lica briefly referred to the idea in his recent AMA video.

One of them from H & A games is Collingwood v Carlton R4 1969 in the third quarter we kicked 12 5 77 to 0 2 2 at Princes Park.

Here is an article I wrote some years ago about the greatest Collingwood quarter ever played.

BLUES HUMILIATED AS MAGPIES ROAR HOME

Carlton v Collingwood R4 26 April 1969

After three rounds of the 1969 season, Collingwood had just won their first game against lowly Melbourne after going down in the opener to the Hawks and then falling short of the Tigers in the last quarter at Victoria Park. It was an inauspicious start after a disappointing 1968 where the Pies missed the finals for the first time in 5 years under Coach Bob Rose.

In contrast, the Blues were sitting on top of the ladder undefeated and were the reigning premiers after their 3 point triumph over Essendon in the 1968 Grand Final.

The two arch enemies were drawn to play at Princes Park on the day after Anzac Day. The ground had not been a happy hunting ground for Collingwood in the previous three seasons.

Collingwood made 3 changes from the team that downed Melbourne the week before. Out went young half back John Bell and rover Danny Hibbert who were both injured, whilst second string ruckman Vaughan Ellis was dropped to 20th man.

Collingwood forward Ian Graham who had only had one game of football in two years was rushed back into the team in what was seen as a calculated risk. He had not played senior football since the 1966 Grand Final in a year when he was Collingwood’s leading goalkicker with 58 goals. He missed 1967 because he was overseas working and then missed 1968 due to a ruptured achilles tendon for which he needed two operations. In his first game back in the Reserves against Melbourne the week before he kicked 11 goals.

Another important inclusion for this game was Graeme "Jerker" Jenkin who had recovered from a knee injury from Round 1. The third inclusion was first gamer, young wingman Jeff Pitts. What a game to make your debut in! The Collingwood team was

B. Brian McKenzie Shane Whelan Terry Waters
HB Lee Adamson Ted Potter John Greening
C Ricky Watt Barry Price Colin Tully
HF Des Tuddenham Ian Graham Con Britt
F Graeme Jenkin Peter McKenna Jeff Pitts

R Len Thompson Ross Dunne
R Wayne Richardson

19th Max Urqhuart 20th Vaughan Ellis

Carlton were raging favourites but the Magpies were not without some support. The biggest query was on the Magpie backline which was seen as not being able to hold the Carlton forward line which boasted names such as Jeasaulenko, Robertson, Quirk, Ricky McLean (father of Brock McLean) and Ian Nicoll. It was also thought the Blues backline of Collins, Walls, Hall, McKay and Kerr could hold the Pies.

Carlton had only 2 weeks earlier kicked a then record score of 30 30 210 against Hawthorn.

Thompson was seen as the key to the Magpie hopes after he had hit some form at last the week before. But he was up against Big Nick.

It was a tight and fast opening as Carlton won the toss and kicked to the Heatley Stand end. It ended up with the forward lines dominating and Carlton went to a lead of 41 to 33.

The second quarter was much the same with the Blues taking a 5 point lead in at the main change. Neither team had been able to get a break and the pressure was intense. The Pies were playing well away from home and teaming together without anyone being overly outstanding. Thompson was holding his own in the ruck and it was thought that while he did that, the Pies were an outside chance.

The Pies were a chance alright. The first half had been tough, fast and uncompromising. But in one of the most scintillating quarters the Pies have ever played away from home, they completely dominated a bamboozled Carlton kicking an amazing 12 5 77 to 0 2 2 in a quarter that those present still remember fondly and talk about to this day, including me watching it as an 11 year old.

Old timers said to score 12 5 77 against Carlton at Carlton in one quarter where the Blues only kicked 2 behinds, revived memories of Collingwood’s great teams of the past. Collingwood president Tom Sherrin told the players afterwards, “I have never been prouder of a Collingwood side. I have never seen the Magpies play better”.

Collingwood ran out the game as 64 point winners 23 15 153 to 13 11 89. Ron Barassi said the Blues were not as good as they thought they were.

When the teams cam out for the second half there was nothing to indicate that Carlton were well and truly about to have their faces and their reputation rubbed into the stinking, Princes Park turf.

Collingwood took control of the game with great speed and control of the ball. Carlton could hardly touch it. One minute Carlton was 5 points ahead. Only nine minutes later it was four goals behind. And the much lauded Blues defence was in tatters as it disintegrated under the Collingwood onslaught.

Here is how Collingwood scooted ahead:- one goal in 1 minute, four goals in 9 minutes, eight goals in 17 minutes, 10 goals in 20 minutes and 12.5 for the quarter.

Captain Des Tuddenham, ruck rover John Greening (who mischievously had been selected on the half back flank) and rover Wayne Richardson, led the third quarter charge with three goals each for the quarter. Deputy Vice Captain Richardson’s 3 goals were scored in the space of three minutes. He had been quiet before that but Tuddenham and Greening were already starring in the first half and they continued on with the business in the classic third quarter.

At half time Bob Rose switched Ian Graham to full forward and Peter McKenna to centre half forward which resulted in the attack looking more lively.

But it was the centre bounce clearances where Collingwood took a stranglehold on the quarter and the game. They generated drive which led to the Blues being brushed aside as if they were the Little League Blues. Jerka Jenkin took the knock outs and Colin Tully was instrumental in getting a lot of the centre clearances.

The last quarter saw the frustration in the Blues emerge and it looked likely to become a last man standing affair. Len Thompson and Ted Potter were reported along with Carlton's Ricky McLean and Peter Jones. The charges were laid by 5 umpires Thompson was reported for hitting Vin Waite (father of Jarrod Waite), and Ted Potter for hitting Nicholls resulting in 6 stitches to his eye.

The charges were to be thrown out after the umpires failed to lodge the report sheets in time in what proved a major embarrassment to the VFL.

After the game Bob Rose was satisfied that the mid week planning for the game had all fallen into place nicely. He said, “We had Carlton tabbed after a big meeting on Thursday night. No matter what and how many switches Carlton made, we were prepared for them and could always come up with an answer. All of our players knew exactly what to do and what was required”.

Bobby Rose described the win as the best in his time as coach and he likened it to the effort of the Magpies defeating Geelong in the 1953 Grand Final some 16 years earlier.

Collingwood had a number of stars out of the game. John Greening was the big star for Collingwood getting kicks at will and ending up with 7 goals as ruck rover. He was unanimously best on ground. Thompson, Britt, Tuddenham, Jenkin and Tully were great for the Pies.

In a post script and not surprisingly, Len Thompson was spat on by angry Carlton supporters after the game as he walked from the Collingwood rooms to the Carlton rooms for the after match get together. During the walk Thompson was subjected to a barrage of abuse then as he walked up the race, a Carlton supporter who had followed Thompson across the ground spat at him.

Carlton v Collingwood
6 5 41 5 3 33
10 7 67 9 8 62
10 9 69 21 13 139
13 11 89 23 15 153

Best: Greening (best on ground) Waters, Jenkin, Tully, Adamson, Tuddenham, Thompson, Britt.

Goals: Greening 7, Tuddenham 3, Waters 3, Wayne Richardson 3, Graham 3, McKenna 2, Britt Jenkin
Great reading. I can remember going to Vic Park in 69 and seeing the great John Greening. A mate of mines old man was on the Collingwood committee in those days and Greening had boarded at their house.

Kicked 7 goals that day playing his 19th game and was only 18 years and 4 months old. Also kicked 5 the week before. Was destined to become the greatest Magpie of all I reckon.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
Can anyone help me out with who the pies player in the background is?

images - 2021-07-18T211402.496.jpeg

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Greatest player ever to wear number 5

I think I preferred him in 25. I'd probably have him behind Ronnie Wearmouth though.

Back