The “Bloods”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a Mclaren F1 sports car, holiday house in Sydney and a private jet to fly me and my friends up to the SCG every couple of weeks to watch the Bloods play at their new home from my own corporate box. Sadly, I can't just ignore the fact that as a teacher on a slightly above average wage none of the above is possible, just like nobody can ignore the club has its origins in Melbourne.

There's a small number of supporters on here whose opinions I haven't thought much of but the absolute naivety of this thread seems to have everyone on the same page. It's really the only positive I can draw from the original post.

Last edited:

I want a Mclaren F1 sports car, holiday house in Sydney and a private jet to fly me and my friends up to the SCG every couple of weeks to watch the Bloods play at their new home from my own corporate box. Sadly, I can't just ignore the fact that as a teacher on a slightly above average wage none of the above is possible, just like nobody can ignore the club has it's origins in Melbourne.

There's a small number of supporters on here whose opinions I haven't thought much of but the absolute naivety of this thread seems to have everyone on the same page. It's really the only positive I can draw from the original post.

And the nice thing is, no-one monstered the OP writer. We may debate long and hard but our Board reflects well on fans and the Club we support.

Hey, I didn't mean to offend anyone! Don't know why some of you got angry. I'm just indifferent to the South/Bloods history. I consider the Swans a Sydney team, but I certainly welcome any and all interstate supporters.

Anyway, I don't even have a point really. The thread was created after a few glasses of scotch. I've just been noticing lately that most Swans supporters seem to be expats from an AFL state, while most Sydney natives pretend AFL doesn't exist. I wish there were more local AFL fans here so that I'd have someone to talk to about it. NRL is boring to me.

Hey, I didn't mean to offend anyone! Don't know why some of you got angry. I'm just indifferent to the South/Bloods history. I consider the Swans a Sydney team, but I certainly welcome any and all interstate supporters.

Anyway, I don't even have a point really. The thread was created after a few glasses of scotch. I've just been noticing lately that most Swans supporters seem to be expats from an AFL state, while most Sydney natives pretend AFL doesn't exist. I wish there were more local AFL fans here so that I'd have someone to talk to about it. NRL is boring to me.
There's plenty of people born and raised in Sydney that follow the swans, just go to a game at the SCG. Don't know any ex pat Victorians at all who live in Sydney as opposed to Qld which is swarming with Vics and New South Welshman like me.

lazy by name, lazy by nature I guess

I suppose that’s true, though I don’t see how it applies to this thread.

Anyway, I’m embarrassed now. I seem to have made the board furious, which really wasn’t my intention. I must admit I still don’t really understand the hostility, but whatever. I’ve obviously hit some nerve, so I sincerely apologise to everyone I’ve insulted with my dismissal of the club’s Victorian tradition and history. I love the club and don’t want the board to hate me.

Disregarding the origin, i still don’t like the word ‘bloods’. Swans sounds nicer.

Last edited:
You can't just write off a clubs history simply because you don't like it or know anything about it. That's your problem if you don't wish to learn about or accept the clubs history. I'm a Melbourne born and bred (after the club moved ) supporter and there is a very big supporter group down here. Your OP is offensive to me and everyone "south of the border" to think that everyone thought the way you did is very narrow minded and perhaps you should have done some research before you started such a ridiculous thread.

This is a swans board and we're all here because we love the club. We should all be inclusive and accepting of anyone who wants to support the swans regardless of their age/gender/locacation or any other factors.

Poor taste from the OP.

I’m a Sydney boy but I’m very proud of our Melbourne history and that we have a strong duel-city supporter base. It’s all upside as far as I’m concerned. Also, the days of only ex-pats following the game in Sydney are long gone (if, indeed, it was ever the case) as I would think the majority of Sydney based fans are originally from Sydney.

I’ve also have no idea why you would think the Bloods name cost us the 2006 premiership, what a bizarre theory!

‘a strong duel-city ...’ a Longmirian slip?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exhibit A. Scotch ? Sure it wasn't BP Unleaded ?

I suppose that’s true, though I don’t see how it applies to this thread.

Anyway, I’m embarrassed now. I seem to have made the board furious, which really wasn’t my intention. I must admit I still don’t really understand the hostility, but whatever. I’ve obviously hit some nerve, so I sincerely apologise to everyone I’ve insulted with my dismissal of the club’s Victorian tradition and history. I love the club and don’t want the board to hate me.

Disregarding the origin, i still don’t like the word ‘bloods’. Swans sounds nicer.

Hate You ? You are Irrelevant.

You are more to be pitied.

You don't know the history of the club or the culture or even what The Bloods stand for.

Anybody who supports this club should. If you don't you have been deprived of everything that
Football & Mateship is about. Sad.

Exhibit A. Scotch ? Sure it wasn't BP Unleaded ?
Just about! It was cheap and nasty, but it did the job. Didn’t feel great this morning though.

Anyway, I wasn’t trying to say that the Melbourne supporters should go away or anything like that. It’s great that we still have so many fans there. Just that I personally feel no connection to the South Melbourne roots. Like I said before, I started following the Swans precisely because they were the outsiders sticking it to those arrogant Victorians at their own game. It’s kind of impossible for me to think of the Swans as part-Victorian.

But yes, I misjudged and shouldn’t have posted it. It actually didn’t occur to me that the OP would be so offensive to some of you. I wasn’t aware how much the supporters of the Sydney Swans value South Melbourne’s VFL history.

Last edited:
Hate You ? You are Irrelevant.

You are more to be pitied.

You don't know the history of the club or the culture or even what The Bloods stand for.

Anybody who supports this club should. If you don't you have been deprived of everything that
Football & Mateship is about. Sad.
With all due respect, I don’t need you to tell me how to support the club. I know the history, but I simply can’t make myself care about some defunct VFL club from Melbourne. And you know, I really shouldn’t have to. You’re trying to force VFL culture onto me, which is ridiculous. I’ll support the club in my own way, and you can keep pretending that the Swans are a Melbourne team. Everyone happy.

And the nice thing is, no-one monstered the OP writer. We may debate long and hard but our Board reflects well on fans and the Club we support.
I don’t know about that. I’m starting to feel a bit monstered. Even a moderator saw fit to ridicule me. Not very cool.

I don’t know about that. I’m starting to feel a bit monstered. Even a moderator saw fit to ridicule me. Not very cool.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Your post was always asking for trouble and I think you know that, but are just disappointed you didn't get a bigger reaction (but that's just my guess). This theme has been brought up before by fly by night posters and never has ended well, so I guess most see it as the poor troll attempt that it is to really bother with it.

Clearly you don't know the history by that sentence alone.

This is a clear case of trying to antagonise people in to responding with vitriol that will see them banned. Unless the antagonising becomes personal You and the other moderators will deem it as being his opinion. If that is the case and everybody is entitled to an opinion then I would put forward my opinion this **** is a complete ****wit that has no place on this Board with s**t like that.

This is a clear case of trying to antagonise people in to responding with vitriol that will see them banned. Unless the antagonising becomes personal You and the other moderators will deem it as being his opinion. If that is the case and everybody is entitled to an opinion then I would put forward my opinion this **** is a complete ****wit that has no place on this Board with s**t like that.

Not my call anymore Wolf, but I've put my views about this thread to the mod group. I don't think anyone should be banned or told to stop posting on this board but this thread just isn't needed as everyone has rightly pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back