The “Bloods”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking today when watching Lions and GWS that I'm so glad I support support a club with a long and interesting history, like the Swans or the Fitzroy Bears / Brisbane Lions, as opposed to a soulless new club like the Giants.

To answer the question in the OP, I'm not a Melbourne expat. I grew up in Northern NSW and being the only AFL team in the state it was the obvious club for my family. I have no connection to Sydney or South Melbourne as places, I just love the club.

South Melbourne is a nice suburb though, you should check it out sometime :)

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Your post was always asking for trouble and I think you know that, but are just disappointed you didn't get a bigger reaction (but that's just my guess). This theme has been brought up before by fly by night posters and never has ended well, so I guess most see it as the poor troll attempt that it is to really bother with it.
It wasn’t intended as a troll. I knew it was a bit controversial, but I didn’t realise I was literally the only one here who doesn’t care about South Melbourne. I assumed there’d be a few Sydney people who felt like me. I was clearly wrong, but it wasn’t my intention to insult you guys.

So whatever, I made a regrettable thread. Again, I apologise.

Last edited:

This is a clear case of trying to antagonise people in to responding with vitriol that will see them banned. Unless the antagonising becomes personal You and the other moderators will deem it as being his opinion. If that is the case and everybody is entitled to an opinion then I would put forward my opinion this **** is a complete ****wit that has no place on this Board with s**t like that.
You are massively overreacting. I swear I wasn’t trying to antagonise anyone into being banned. I also didn’t attack anyone, so it’s disappointing that you resort to calling me names. If it would make you guys feel better, I would be fine with the thread being locked/deleted. I’ve learned my lesson.

It wasn’t intended as a troll. I knew it was a bit controversial, but I didn’t realise I was literally the only one here who doesn’t care about South Melbourne. I assumed there’d be a few Sydney people who felt like me. I was clearly wrong, but it wasn’t my intention to insult you guys.
Well, it's one thing to say you support the Swans because they're the Sydney team. It's another to deny the significance of South Melbourne history in the club's identity today. Even if you feel no personal affinity to the South Melbourne Football Club a pretty significant contingent of the fanbase support the Swans because of the recognition that it's still the same entity that simply moved base in 1982. Suggesting that the connection shouldn't have existed when we won in 2005, othering out Victorians in general and dismissing the SMFC as just another VFL team that happened to go by the same name would be quite disparaging for any supporter that has some generational connection to the club prior to the move.

You don't have to feel a deep connection to the SM history of the club, respect that most others do. Your OP was never going to end well the way you framed it. It divided people across state lines when we all have in common our affection for the Swans.

And that's coming from someone born and bred in Sydney.

Put a bit more thought into it the next time you post a thread.

Anyhoo, I think it's time to pull the plug on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back