The “Bloody hell I miss footy” thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have been watching a few old games. Our entire 2013 finals series is on YouTube.

That qualifying final against sydney is awesome to watch - and you can see the standard of footy has dropped since then. The swans, even though we beat them by 50 points, were tough and hard right to the end. Any time we took the foot off the pedal slightly they would get a goal.

Was interesting to see Tom Mitchell in swans colours - his disposal has improved out of sight.
Just watching that game now - interesting to see Tom Mitchell flatten Guerra with a legitimate bump in the opening stages - we all know how tough Gu is - and then listen to Bruce sing the praises of the best first year players, O'mera (rising star) and Tom Mitchell, both of whom will play a big part in our 2018 campaign.

Bloody hell I miss footy

Preparing myself for the 2018 season and knowing that Hodgey has left the building, I have changed his name now , as he is in Brisbane with "Fagan", I will refer to him now as Luke Dodgey, or .....the artful dodger.

If you get my draft, er I mean drift!!. Ha ha ha ha !

Still love the General.

Richmond supporters are least providing some entertainment.

The lid has come off, they've subsequently lost the lid and then lost the jar. So the lid and the jar are both lost in completely different spots and there's no immediate danger of the lid going back on.

Watched this yesterday:

Rd 1, 1990, Hawks v Cats.

Amazing to watch Dunstall, Brereton together playing at their peak. We didn't have Platten, Schwab or Dipper playing - but was an awesome game.

Given it's a single game it's easy to see someone play a blinder and think they always played that way, but the things that stood out for me:
- Ayres, Langford, Brereton, Ablett, Pritchard hit every pack really hard, whether they won the footy or not.
- The 'no frontal contact' rule in footy has changed it more than anything, this game highlights how much it's changed. (And I think it's a bullshit rule anyway - Gibbo got pinged way too many times when he punched ball only but from a 'front' direction).
- Pritchard stands out as a premier wingman. Skill was beyond anyone else's, Dunstall lights up every time Pritchard is forward of centre
- Brereton and Ayres do a LOT of stuff off the ball. So many times you see a glimpse of them laying a very late bump as the camera goes elsewhere.
- Bruce's commentary really hasn't changed in 30 years.
- The game is pure chaos - skills are ATROCIOUS from both sides. It's genuinely surprising when a target is hit by foot.
- Tuck is a freak - looks 90 years old in this clip, tagged Couch out of the game.
- Forward line of Morris, Brereton and Whitman made it hard to tell people apart at times.
- Paul Dear plays like Roughead when he's on the ball.
- There are a number of passages in the second half that are closely reminiscent of the 13-15 hawks. Lots of tap ons, link up play from half back through the wing and to a leading forward (but not the corridor).
- Ablett is better than I remember. I used to think he was a bit of a 'get 100 chances a game, nail a few of them, get called a hero'. But he was pretty damn good.
Could the skills bit be partly due to it only being the first round (after a shorter pre season as well)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put!
This reminds me of a joke.
A guy is walking around Cambridge University and he's a little lost. He sees someone walking the other way and asks "Yo! Where's the library at?"
The man responds with "My good man! why, here at Carmbridge, we never end a sentence in a preposition."
"Ok then, where's the library at arsehole?"

just because....

{language warning}

you've posted this twice now, I mean it's good, but I don't know that it's that time I was at a TISM gig and one of them crowd surfed and got his mask ripped off but was wearing another mask so his identity as a high school teacher was not compromised good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back