The “I’ve Watched the Grand Final 10+ times and it’s the best part of 2018” thread

Mudguts12

All Australian
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I was stoked for JK, and Masto , but I was even more thrilled for LeCras/Hurn/Schofield. They were all on our list during the mid 2000s era. LeCras goes out on a high and Hurn has become a deserving premiership captain in the twilight of his career. Schofield played well (at least as well as poor Shepp probably would have) and walks away with a deserved premiership after being loyal fringe for much of his career. I am glad that Graham got a flag with us as an assistant after his 2006 heartache.

The hard luck stories are NicNat/Shepp (I feel for Gaff too, just not as much as the other two. He is also more likely to have time on his side) , but most of all, Priddis :(
IMO not sure if Shep could have blanketed DeGoey as well as Schoey. That was one of the best performances for a negating backman I've ever seen considering the talents of DeGoey. Maybe Shep would have been slotted into Cole's spot instead?

Fantastic how everyone played a role with no passengers. Up the Eagles! 👍

Settle a bet for me.

What was BT's actual call for the Sheed goal?

I won a free meal off a Bulldogs supporting mate who was adamant he said "Needs to be incredible, he is!" Um, no. Way off. He was oddly sure it was the case, so easy bet won on replay.

But even then, we couldn't agree on what he said. My friend said "Oh, it's obviously 'Needs to be perfect, he is!'"

My personal take - he actually screwed it up. To me it sounds as though he goes to say "Needs to be in perfect (rhythm? only word that seems to make sense contextually - but still would be an odd call?)..." but ran out of time and slipped in the "He is!" when the goal was kicked.

Any other interpretations? I'm right, no? :think:

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Settle a bet for me.

I won a free meal off a Bulldogs supporting mate who was adamant he said "Needs to be incredible, he is!" Um, no. Way off. He was oddly sure it was the case, so easy bet won on replay.

But even then, we couldn't agree on what he said. My friend said "Oh, it's obviously 'Needs to be perfect, he is!'"

My personal take - he actually screwed it up. To me it sounds as though he goes to say "Needs to be in perfect (rhythm? only word that seems to make sense contextually - but still would be an odd call?)..." but ran out of time and slipped in the "He is!" when the goal was kicked.

He said “Needs to be inch perfect, he is!”

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
Settle a bet for me.

Gave me an excuse to watch the last 2 minutes again. Quote is "Needs to be inch perfect/he is!!!"

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Out of all the what ifs of that last 3 minutes of play, the biggest one I have is what if one of the 3 Collingwood players around Treloar actually chose to shepherd Jamie Cripps, rather then the red carpet path given to him. I do see it as a underrated part of the whole thing

Out of all the what ifs of that last 3 minutes of play, the biggest one I have is what if one of the 3 Collingwood players around Treloar actually chose to shepherd Jamie Cripps, rather then the red carpet path given to him. I do see it as a underrated part of the whole thing
I always think about how close Varcoe was to smothering Yeos kick from the centre in the last five seconds..

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Settle a bet for me.

I heard the same. I think he was going to say something like "needs to be in perfect form/position etc" but completly stuffed the timing. I think his calling was woeful as he had no appreciation for the play (also missed shuey's goal as he was too busy crapping on about something and missed that the ball had been thrown up).

FatPizza

Premiership Player
May 25, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I heard the same. I think he was going to say something like "needs to be in perfect form/position etc" but completly stuffed the timing. I think his calling was woeful as he had no appreciation for the play (also missed shuey's goal as he was too busy crapping on about something and missed that the ball had been thrown up).

I thought it was pretty obvious BT said "Needs to be inch perfect".

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ve been going through the victory pack. Got up to the GF last night. My plan is to watch it with every possible commentary. Got to 3/4 time with the 6pr crew. Brad Hardie was hating us all day, so obvious. Also noticed that JK was massive all day really. Took the most marks of anyone on the ground, had 5 shots on goal, and took some strong link up marks further up the ground. Reckon he was maybe 4th best behind Shuey Sheed and Barass. Also don’t think Darlings first half was as bad as everyone is saying, crashed some packs and still presented, did a few good little things. Same with Ryan, heaps of little things that went unnoticed. Rioli also didn’t get a heap of the ball but pressured all day. Looking forward to finishing it off tonight and starting the next round with different commentary

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ve been going through the victory pack. Got up to the GF last night. My plan is to watch it with every possible commentary. Got to 3/4 time with the 6pr crew. Brad Hardie was hating us all day, so obvious. Also noticed that JK was massive all day really. Took the most marks of anyone on the ground, had 5 shots on goal, and took some strong link up marks further up the ground. Reckon he was maybe 4th best behind Shuey Sheed and Barass. Also don’t think Darlings first half was as bad as everyone is saying, crashed some packs and still presented, did a few good little things. Same with Ryan, heaps of little things that went unnoticed. Rioli also didn’t get a heap of the ball but pressured all day. Looking forward to finishing it off tonight and starting the next round with different commentary
JK was huge in the prelim as well. We were really robbed of what could have been a great season by him. I have no doubt at that level he can keep trucking on for a few more years. Just needs to stop getting collision injuries

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Personally had Schofield as BOG.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

JD just needed to keep it simple. He was looking to be fancy and do too much and it never came off. I'd hazard a guess that was the message at half time. Do the simple things, run and present and the rest will come if you get yourself in the game.

Mickey Rae

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The Mighty Royals
I thought it was pretty obvious BT said "Needs to be inch perfect".
I liked BT's insightful 3/4 time statement........."the scores are tied ...in fact they're level". Classic BT.
(Or is it Carey......?)

JackDoff

Senior List
Apr 22, 2012
South Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons
" They've got a taste for it now, these Eagles. Collingwood under the pump right now." ___Bruce
" And the roof has lifted off the G".____ Richo
Two of my favourite commentary quotes from that magnificent game. Boy oh boy, wowee!!!!
As a matter of I might just have to go and watch it again -right now.
I wonder if the boys have had a chance to sit down together and watch the replay. Would love to see that!!!

JackDoff

Senior List
Apr 22, 2012
South Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons
I love that Yeo goal, we finally took the lead and sitting in the crowd on the day I believed we'd win it. Watching it back for the 50th time, the camera work of that goal gets me fist pumping and jumping off the couch. And Yeoy absolutely loves it!!!
ELLIOT yippee yi ya yippee yi YEO !!!!!
Elliot Yeo , you STAR.
Leo Barry, get farked !!

Mickey Rae

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The Mighty Royals
Scores tied and level are different things. Scores tied, well at least to me, means same goals and points and scores level is just the same total score. So scores were tied.
Same dog different leg action.

Back