List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We really have gone way too far the other way after we stuffed up with Toumpas over Wines.
It was a necessary correction between about 2013 and 2016, but we needed to do more after that. We just haven't had the picks unfortunately.

When we sort our defence out surely Fritsch can play from a wing, with him and Oskar Baker on the other wing (and KK as depth) that's a pretty good set of developing wingman. Get the team moving the ball well and backing each other to run forward and get on the outside and it's suddenly not so bad a problem.

However, picking up a senior player like Henderson who can step right in and perform as a value pick would be perfect for 2020. If I was Melbourne I'd be targeting one of Brisbane's outside players that can't get a game, like Lewy Taylor or Cutler. Ed Langdon from Freo as well, except his disposal is patchy.

When we sort our defence out surely Fritsch can play from a wing, with him and Oskar Baker on the other wing (and KK as depth) that's a pretty good set of developing wingman. Get the team moving the ball well and backing each other to run forward and get on the outside and it's suddenly not so bad a problem.

However, picking up a senior player like Henderson who can step right in and perform as a value pick would be perfect for 2020. If I was Melbourne I'd be targeting one of Brisbane's outside players that can't get a game, like Lewy Taylor or Cutler. Ed Langdon from Freo as well, except his disposal is patchy.
+1 for Cutler, always been a fan.

I seem to remember talk of us being into him a couple of years ago, he's out of contract at the end of the year, and since he can't get a game at the Lions, would be surprised if we weren't sniffing around.

If I was Melbourne I'd be targeting one of Brisbane's outside players that can't get a game, like Lewy Taylor or Cutler.
I'm a fan of both of those players. I mentioned very early in this thread that we should be targeting Cutler as he fits a need. I like his skill set. I think Taylor would also bring good value as a high half forward who can also have stints on the wing. Dual sided, high work rate and very durable so if he was on our list I can see him playing a similar role to what ANB would play but reckon Taylor would be an upgrade due to his superior talent. Would be happy to have either of those players at our club.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. He’s out of contract so potentially gettable (and very much the type we need) but we’d need to trade heavily to get him.

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen a lot of him, but would Fiorini fit our needs?

When you mentioned him I thought, hmm that is an interesting possibility, but a quick look at his stats show that he's tied 13th in comp for average turnovers while having a 9:18 contested:uncontested split.

For context, Clayton Oliver is tied 50th while having a 16:14 split, Petracca is tied 35th while having a 9:9 split and Brayshaw is tied 21st while having an 11:14 split. So, not great.

Another stat: he's ranked tied 73rd for average effective disposals per game (tied with Harmes actually). Oliver is outright 15th for average effective disposals and Salem is 57th. They're our only 3 in the top 100.

That said, I see him as more of an outside type forced to play inside with a light frame, because that's what the Suns require of him. Maybe with us he could just focus on the outside stuff and clean up his turnovers? Bit of gamble.

Stephen Hill is a FA and his brother Brad requested a trade back to Hawthorn last year. Club should be heavily chasing both of them.
Agree. Brad is the better of the two but Stephen has the better kick. Would be happy to see us pay Stephen good money as an FA and see if we can find a mid-first rounder for Brad. Would change our team completely.

St
Agree. Brad is the better of the two but Stephen has the better kick. Would be happy to see us pay Stephen good money as an FA and see if we can find a mid-first rounder for Brad. Would change our team completely.
Stephen is 29 so re ruining him would be pretty stupid IMHO. And I wouldn’t go near Brad. It’s obviously all about Brad on Brad world. Who requests a trade home and then requests a trade back?

I would do whatever needed to get 2 x Hills. Exactly what we're missing, just don't know what they'd want from us. How are they for KPD depth?

Also, know he's a space cadet and can't believe I'm about to write this, but if we got him for nothing I'd be happy to give OOC and out of favour Cam McCarthy a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back