Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hey!!!! none of that

I'm old and am drinking with pricks so will have a go. The consensus is that mid season moves were pre-AFL, so 80s. Didn't involve a draft. Just that the rules (or absence of rules preventing this) meant that clubs could agree to moving a player mid season.

Yeah I'm sure I rememeber stories of blokes training with Richmond on a Thursday and then playing for Collingwood Saturday

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I’m not an old prick. But a simple google search tells me last mid season draft was 1993.
I just told all the old pricks I’m drinking with that they’re wrong and are old pricks. It could have become nasty for a bit but they got distracted by a Keating v Hawke line of debate.

I just told all the old pricks I’m drinking with that they’re wrong and are old pricks. It could have become nasty for a bit but they got distracted by a Keating v Hawke line of debate.

Bring back the worm!

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Got til the day of the draft to make changes so guess we wont know how many picks we have til then.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we have 4 or 5 mid season picks and use them all on state league players we'll basically have a team list rivaling Essendon's after the peptide bans. Considering we already have;

Hannen
Fritsch
Kielty
Wagner
T. Smith
Lockhart
Well itll be better than fielding less that 22 players cause at this rate thats what will happen cause we only have 8 listed AFL players in the VFL. im not sure if thats before or after Hibberd and Melksham injuries

If we have 4 or 5 mid season picks and use them all on state league players we'll basically have a team list rivaling Essendon's after the peptide bans. Considering we already have;

Hannen
Fritsch
Kielty
Wagner
T. Smith
Lockhart
We only have the one to replace Neitschke right? Everyone else on the injury list is expected back this season.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Well itll be better than fielding less that 22 players cause at this rate thats what will happen cause we only have 8 listed AFL players in the VFL. im not sure if thats before or after Hibberd and Melksham injuries
During the GC game it was said we only had 6 players play for the reserves side

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
We only have the one to replace Neitschke right? Everyone else on the injury list is expected back this season.
You actually think we'll get back AVB or KK? Even Jetta is 8-10 weeks away still. I guess itll depend on how the next 2 weeks go lose both may aswell get those 3 ready for next year with massive pres season. Allowing us to check out 4 new players

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
During the GC game it was said we only had 6 players play for the reserves side
Oh true thought i heard Whateley on AFL360 monday or tuesday say we had 8. But i was doing other s**t. Thats ******* terrible if it was 6 cause we lose 2 more but Maynard comes back pretty sure.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Oh true thought i heard Whateley on AFL360 monday or tuesday say we had 8. But i was doing other ****. Thats ******* terrible if it was 6 cause we lose 2 more but Maynard comes back pretty sure.

8 fit maybe? 2 were travelling emergencies

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
You actually think we'll get back AVB or KK? Even Jetta is 8-10 weeks away still. I guess itll depend on how the next 2 weeks go lose both may aswell get those 3 ready for next year with massive pres season. Allowing us to check out 4 new players
I can't find what the actual rules are, short of "retirements or long term injury" but you'd imagine we wouldn't be able to draft another player unless we've declared a listed player done for the season ... would be pretty ordinary to draft a bloke for a couple of months and then send him back to the VFL. Although the way things are going at the moment, we can probably bank on another couple of season ending injuries in that time anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Hannen
Fritsch
Kielty
Wagner
T. Smith
Lockhart

Very unlikely we’ll use more than 1 pick (for Nietschke) as you need to nominate which player you are replacing, and that player cannot play again this season.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I don’t. AVB out for the year now (I love what he has brought but I think AFL days are now in his past). KK I have no idea why anyone in the universe thought he would appear and be the answer to anything. Hope he gets a game and all but I don’t expect him in a Melbourne jumper this year.

I agree with you. If the rules exist to put a line through these guys now and get a couple of guys who are at the least depth and able to play Casey then we should do it. Other teams will so adopting dumb principles is just dumb.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don’t. AVB out for the year now (I love what he has brought but I think AFL days are now in his past). KK I have no idea why anyone in the universe thought he would appear and be the answer to anything. Hope he gets a game and all but I don’t expect him in a Melbourne jumper this year.

I agree with you. If the rules exist to put a line through these guys now and get a couple of guys who are at the least depth and able to play Casey then we should do it. Other teams will so adopting dumb principles is just dumb.

Is AVB officially done for the year, or are you saying that you doubt we’ll see him again this year?

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think off the main list we had Sparrow, Jordan, Bedford, Preuss, Baker and Petty playing VFL last week, plus rookies Smith, Chandler and C.Wagner as well.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think off the main list we had Sparrow, Jordan, Bedford, Preuss, Baker and Petty playing VFL last week, plus rookies Smith, Chandler and C.Wagner as well.
So yeah must be 8 with the 2 who travelled not alot is it haha still managed to beat bombers VFL

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Is AVB officially done for the year, or are you saying that you doubt we’ll see him again this year?
Apologies. That did sound dramatic. He’s out for “TBA” status.

I got told by a long term doomsdayer that he was out for the year so I went a bit early. (With a TBA he could be spot on, but it’s in no way real or confirmed news)

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Apologies. That did sound dramatic. He’s out for “TBA” status.

I got told by a long term doomsdayer that he was out for the year so I went a bit early. (With a TBA he could be spot on, but it’s in no way real or confirmed news)

Careful, Melbourne are gonna put ya post on a banner now

I'm not Dr, but I'd not be surprised if KK had a prolonged period out, followed by retirement. Vanders I have no clue - it doesn't look good. Nev we desperately need back as soon as possible, and I'd rather have him for the last six rounds of the year than a third round mid-year pick for the last 11.

Seems like the top two picks this year are inside midfielders. Hopefully there's a couple of gun runners in the next batch that the bottom two will be forced to ignore.

Nov 13, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seems like the top two picks this year are inside midfielders. Hopefully there's a couple of gun runners in the next batch that the bottom two will be forced to ignore.
Keep an eye out for Cody Hirst. 180cm outside runner with speed and x factor. Averaging 24 disposals for Eastern Rangers playing as an outside player on a wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back