List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

How many of those guys did we suggest Casey recruit so we could have a look at them in our structures. Wagner definitely was, Lockhart appears to have been another.
Can confirm re Lockhart. Jade Rawlings is Tassie born and keeps an eye on the footy down there. Handpicked him.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The drafting of Keilty, Bull Smith, Fritsch, CWags + Lockhart is an interesting one.

On the one hand, great for culture and to reward performance for Casey.

On the other hand, approx. 10% of our list comes from our affiliate. Is our scouting not good enough?
Whatd they all cost? I got no problem grabbing players from our VFL team if anything id ******* hate to see other teams pick em up and getting games which lets be honest in most other team structures theyd all look good but our structures are ******* pathetic

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Whatd they all cost? I got no problem grabbing players from our VFL team if anything id ******* hate to see other teams pick em up and getting games which lets be honest in most other team structures theyd all look good but our structures are ******* pathetic

Sure - that's why i looked at it from both hands. But right now, none of them are best 22 (Fritta due to form)

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
The drafting of Keilty, Bull Smith, Fritsch, CWags + Lockhart is an interesting one.

On the one hand, great for culture and to reward performance for Casey.

On the other hand, approx. 10% of our list comes from our affiliate. Is our scouting not good enough?
I’ve wondered the same thing.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
How many players would have played for 4 clubs? We have a poxy defensive game anyway so would slot right in the mayhem

Our (and a few others) very own Martin Pike.

Mason wood is Watts if he couldn’t kick straight. Wouldn’t mind a look at Garner though.

Garner is very inconsistent. He'd be frustrating as hell if he played for us, but I guess he wouldn't be alone there.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Would Jared Polec be worth a shot?

I don’t think his defensive game and consistency would stand up to Goodwins expectations but he can run and kick..
I think you may have hit on a fundamental problem. There are people out there who are good kicks, can run and would be decent outside options. The issue is Goody might reject all of them on the basis of not being able to win the greater number of contests then s**t kick it to an easy turnover.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think you may have hit on a fundamental problem. There are people out there who are good kicks, can run and would be decent outside options. The issue is Goody might reject all of them on the basis of not being able to win the greater number of contests then **** kick it to an easy turnover.

I’m certain we can turn him into an inside mid with below average disposal by foot fairly quickly though.

Would Jared Polec be worth a shot?

I don’t think his defensive game and consistency would stand up to Goodwins expectations but he can run and kick..
He literally just changed clubs for the second time.

I think you may have hit on a fundamental problem. There are people out there who are good kicks, can run and would be decent outside options. The issue is Goody might reject all of them on the basis of not being able to win the greater number of contests then **** kick it to an easy turnover.

There was an article about Ricky Henderson from Hawthorn being one of the inform wingmen of the competition. The article pointed out Hawthorn's list management and player development strength of not trying to turn players into something they're not. They play their personnel in the position which their natural attributes allow them to succeed.

In contrast, Melbourne has taken any player with an outside skill set and hammered into them they need to win the hard ball in every contest at all costs.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wingmen are a strange phenomenon. Unless they're one of the best in the comp, they will struggle to consistently impact games, such is the nature of the position. The whole thing is taking calculated risks and is largely dependent on the way a team moves the ball.

Not only do we tell our wingers to "impact the contest" and charge in and apply pressure, we also rarely switch the footy out of defence and usually just bomb the ball over their head to Gawn/Tmac down the line. We could have Isaac Smith in our team but the chaotic way we move the footy would nullify most of his influence. If KK can get fit and play some footy like he did at GC, a long with Baker I think we have some ok talent coming through, but unless we tweak our game style I don't see them flourishing any time soon.

Inside dominance leading to a mountain of scrappy inside 50s seems to be completely ineffective in 2019. We need to use the width of the ground more and bring our outside players into the game, instead of hacking it over their heads. Poaching a gun assistant coach that excels at ball movement/transition is what we need for 2020. Oliver getting his vision back and RELEASING players with his handballs would be good too.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Reckon we need an irish fella they all seem quick and good by foot. Although we cant develope s**t so he'll just turn into a spud. Seems like we are 1 of the only teams to not bother

Back