List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Isaac Smith?

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Apparently the Dogs are going to throw a s**t tonne of coin at him after the Tom Boyd retirement.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Stu_Hibachi

Debutant
Apr 9, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United. Celtic
Herald Sun article on North today suggest we trade for Ben Brown. Thoughts?

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Herald Sun article on North today suggest we trade for Ben Brown. Thoughts?

Great player but wouldn’t be a very good fit for our game plan in my opinion.

We like to lock it in the forward half and can probably carry 2 tall forwards who can’t chase, at the most.

We are already lacking in defensive small forwards with leg speed so I’d rather take the draft picks North would be after to the draft.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Great player but wouldn’t be a very good fit for our game plan in my opinion.

We like to lock it in the forward half and can probably carry 2 tall forwards who can’t chase, at the most.

We are already lacking in defensive small forwards with leg speed so I’d rather take the draft picks North would be after to the draft.
Name one side who isn't trying to do this

Jack Martin? Although apparently getting million dollar offers.
He's a huge wasted talent. Doesn't get touches and doesn't kick goals. If he had gone number 1 in the 2013 draft he would be copping some serious treatment.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Fair point.

"We had a game plan to let them run it out of forward line freely and it looks to have backfired a bit. Turns out it is a slightly better idea to try and keep the ball closer to your goals."

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
We need to go after one of Richmond’s small forwards. They’ve got heaps and one is always on the outer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ideally we need to be cleverer than that.

You need defensive forwards - one way to go about it is to look at a team that has millions of that type and take the least effective one that they might release. So you end up with the least impressive guy from a team that has four or five of those types.

There is a better way (and no way are MFC looking capable of this). Take Geelong. They identify a need for defensive pressure and flexibility in the forward line. They trade in Rohan - everyone laughs because we've decided he is a useless spud. And it turns out that they correctly identified his skill set as something they could slot into their team and turn into an asset.

Unfortunately we are probably dumb *s who won't learn how to do this.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

How about you do it first and then I’ll s**t-can you?..

The easiest thing in the world is to ask questions then critique the answers.

There are plenty of sides that don’t prioritise frontal pressure to the level we do. In fact the majority of sides don’t focus their plan on frontal pressure to the extent that we do.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
How about you do it first and then I’ll ****-can you?..

There are plenty of sides that don’t prioritise frontal pressure to the level we do. In fact the majority of sides don’t focus their plan on frontal pressure to the extent that we do.

Do we really prioritize frontal pressure though? Cause I would argue ours is one of the worst at that which either means

- all our players are s**t
- we have s**t forward coach
- both of the above (prob true)

It’s just that forward pressure doesn’t really require talent on an individual level, it’s a guts and work rate thing so it’s hard to understand why we don’t do it if it’s integral to our game plan.

Maybe our structure make it hard.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
How about you do it first and then I’ll ****-can you?..

Yeah name the specific frontal pressure players we have down there. We have prioritized that well below the majority of the competition.

I'll name the teams who aren't trying to win the footy in the forward half
-

Done.

Ideally we need to be cleverer than that.

You need defensive forwards - one way to go about it is to look at a team that has millions of that type and take the least effective one that they might release. So you end up with the least impressive guy from a team that has four or five of those types.

There is a better way (and no way are MFC looking capable of this). Take Geelong. They identify a need for defensive pressure and flexibility in the forward line. They trade in Rohan - everyone laughs because we've decided he is a useless spud. And it turns out that they correctly identified his skill set as something they could slot into their team and turn into an asset.

Unfortunately we are probably dumb ****s who won't learn how to do this.
Isn't this what Paul Roos did half a dozen times? And, in fairness, Goodwin too with Melksham and Hibberd? We had no HBFs a few years ago. Even if the Melksham at JBF experiment was a dud.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jack Martin? Although apparently getting million dollar offers.
They are talking $4million over 5 or 6 years. Sounds better for media to say $4million offer. If it was over 6 years id be keen sort of player whod look good in our team if we werent the dees so hopefully hed look average at best for us as an inside mid

Back