News The 10 most significant events in Collingwood Football Club history

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of things strike me as interesting in that report. First, the fact that Collingwood protected it's record of four straight premierships in 1958 is neither here nor there. Caught up in its own moment, the article instead seems interested that Melbourne's period of dominance might be over.

Second, there's a strong mythology that Collingwood effectively bashed their way to that premiership, in order to deny Melbourne 4th cup. The contemporary reports don't bear that out, instead highlighting the simple fact of one team playing better football than its opponent.

Couple of things strike me as interesting in that report. First, the fact that Collingwood protected it's record of four straight premierships in 1958 is neither here nor there. Caught up in its own moment, the article instead seems interested that Melbourne's period of dominance might be over.

Second, there's a strong mythology that Collingwood effectively bashed their way to that premiership, in order to deny Melbourne 4th cup. The contemporary reports don't bear that out, instead highlighting the simple fact of one team playing better football than its opponent.
Interesting points.

Kindly note the writer is Percy Beames a famous Melbourne player, coach and then a distinguished journalist.

I'm thinking as a staunch Melbourne person including three flags as player, it's not surprising he wrote the article from a Melbourne bent.

Interesting points.

Kindly note the writer is Percy Beames a famous Melbourne player, coach and then a distinguished journalist.

I'm thinking as a staunch Melbourne person including three flags as player, it's not surprising he wrote the article from a Melbourne bent.

Are you 102 years old, SV? Certainly, not many sub-centurions would have picked up on the author! Excellent work old horse.

Are you 102 years old, SV? Certainly, not many sub-centurions would have picked up on the author! Excellent work old horse.
Indeed.
I had a great trainer

It's not mythology that we went the man. Murray Weideman has spoken often how he and Harrison roughed up the opposition. I heard Weideman in an interview once say he told the players not to wory about what he and Harrison did but to just play football. There is no doubt it was a deliberate ploy. The degree to which it was violent or just vigorous has probably been exaggerated over time. I know Barassi was complimentary of Weideman’s leadership of Collingwood in that GF.

It's not mythology that we went the man. Murray Weideman has spoken often how he and Harrison roughed up the opposition. I heard Weideman in an interview once say he told the players not to wory about what he and Harrison did but to just play football. There is no doubt it was a deliberate ploy. The degree to which it was violent or just vigorous has probably been exaggerated over time. I know Barassi was complimentary of Weideman’s leadership of Collingwood in that GF.

My dad went to the game as a kid, was probably his greatest moment as a Collingwood supporter.

This.
And it always looks better because we won the flag !

Roughing them up would probably these days be considered a "hard Tag". I was at the game and whilst Weed, Hooker Harrison and Kevin Rose all took turns playing hard on Barassi and the other Melbourne mids...they didn't bash them or anything. Weed did shirtfront Keith Carroll (I think it was Carroll) and he generally threw his weight around (he played a great game until he tired). The '58 Flag was won by a whole team that just wanted the game more than the Dees.

Robroy what else can you remember about the game? I've only ever seen the video of the last quarter, where pretty much nothing happens.
Was it raining,as the ground was a quagmire, even with the sun out at the end.

It did rain a little that day but it had rained quite a lot during the week leading up to the game. And remember the G back then had covered wickets but the drainage wasn't as good elsewhere so the goalsquares and CHF/CHB were pretty muddy. All week leading up to the match my grandfather was telling me that "We wouldn't let those silvertails match the Machine's efforts" but there was talk in the papers leading up to the game that several Pies might miss the game through injury and when they ran out Bill Twomey and Frank Tuck the captain were missing. We'd beaten North the week before in the Prelim but Melbourne had killed us in the Second Semi and they'd dominated the year finishing miles in front on top of the ladder.
As usual I was in the crush at the Ponsford stand end and I remember Melbourne coming out and blitzing in the first quarter. I think they were 4-5 goals up and Ridley and Adams were everywhere. Bob Johnson was looking huge and threatening up forward and everything seemed to be going their way until Kenny Bennett kicked a couple of goals to get us started. By half time we were in front and Barassi was showing his frustration by remonstrating with Hooker and young Kevin Rose. Our third quarter was the best footy I'd ever seen Collingwood play. We were relentless and the crowd support shifted as our barrackers really took over the chanting. We kicked 5 unanswered goals (a bit like in 1990 after the brawl!) and were never headed again. Half way through the final quarter my grandfather gave me a wink and said "See...I told you they wouldn't beat us!"

It did rain a little that day but it had rained quite a lot during the week leading up to the game. And remember the G back then had covered wickets but the drainage wasn't as good elsewhere so the goalsquares and CHF/CHB were pretty muddy. All week leading up to the match my grandfather was telling me that "We wouldn't let those silvertails match the Machine's efforts" but there was talk in the papers leading up to the game that several Pies might miss the game through injury and when they ran out Bill Twomey and Frank Tuck the captain were missing. We'd beaten North the week before in the Prelim but Melbourne had killed us in the Second Semi and they'd dominated the year finishing miles in front on top of the ladder.
As usual I was in the crush at the Ponsford stand end and I remember Melbourne coming out and blitzing in the first quarter. I think they were 4-5 goals up and Ridley and Adams were everywhere. Bob Johnson was looking huge and threatening up forward and everything seemed to be going their way until Kenny Bennett kicked a couple of goals to get us started. By half time we were in front and Barassi was showing his frustration by remonstrating with Hooker and young Kevin Rose. Our third quarter was the best footy I'd ever seen Collingwood play. We were relentless and the crowd support shifted as our barrackers really took over the chanting. We kicked 5 unanswered goals (a bit like in 1990 after the brawl!) and were never headed again. Half way through the final quarter my grandfather gave me a wink and said "See...I told you they wouldn't beat us!"
Glorious, I love reading these first hand accounts.

Mum & Dad were season ticket holders, still have mum's with the "clip outs".

Glorious, I love reading these first hand accounts.

Mum & Dad were season ticket holders, still have mum's with the "clip outs".

Have my uncle's 1958 season ticket - I treasure it!

He was quite old when he married my aunt and he had seen the Machine four-peat. Regret so much not making more time to chat to him about footy.

Great story.
Thanks for sharing.
These recollections are the value of bigfooty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally read the book over Christmas. Its very good. While i knew everything from the mid 70s onwards there is a ton of stuff from the early years i had not heard of. Really gets the Collingwood fanatics head spinning.

So, whoever wants my copy, just pm me your name and address and i'll send it off this week. Apart from a few signed treasures i dont keep footy books, so first in best dressed.

- Dan Minogue leaving for Richmond after WW1, we had a huge homecoming planned before he ditched us
This man is my grand father's (John Bernard "Jack" Minogue) 1st cousin, even though he left us high and dry in his mind it was for good reason. Despite this unfortunate fall out we as a family remained pie faithful. Being the player and captain he was you could argue he could have been part of another flag but alas................... I'm still torn to this day him leaving us for Richmond.:(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Minogue

This man is my grand father's (John Bernard "Jack" Minogue) 1st cousin, even though he left us high and dry in his mind it was for good reason. Despite this unfortunate fall out we as a family remained pie faithful. Being the player and captain he was you could argue he could have been part of another flag but alas................... I'm still torn to this day him leaving us for Richmond.:(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Minogue
May I ask a genuine curiosity.

Is the Collingwood Minogues related to the signing budgie family?

The reason I ask is, one, I have been told the Minogue name is not super prolific and many are related to each other. And two, I met a claimed relative who were Collingwood supporters at a game and they said the player Dan Minogue is related to the siblings Kylie / Danny / Brendan and by extension parents Ron and Carol?

May I ask a genuine curiosity.

Is the Collingwood Minogues related to the signing budgie family?

The reason I ask is, one, I have been told the Minogue name is not super prolific and many are related to each other. And two, I met a claimed relative who were Collingwood supporters at a game and they said the player Dan Minogue is related to the siblings Kylie / Danny / Brendan and by extension parents Ron and Carol?
Not 100% sure, there is argument to suggest we are. The Minogues are a very large clan so there is possibility but I'd have to look at the ancestry to find out, 1 thing is certain though I am definitely related to Dan Minogue and I'm prouder of that than possibly being related to Kylie and Danni

Not 100% sure, there is argument to suggest we are. The Minogues are a very large clan so there is possibility but I'd have to look at the ancestry to find out, 1 thing is certain though I am definitely related to Dan Minogue and I'm prouder of that than possibly being related to Kylie and Danni
Danni was cuter though :D

ps Dan Minogue the player played two Grand Finals for us but came up like a seventies player, empty handed :(
Got premiership success when he slummed it at Richmond :eek:
All time great player.

Never thought about it greatly as it was before my time. But it is clear that the 1970 heartbreaking GF loss to Carlton was a long term game changer for the psyche of the CFC. Prior to that, we were clearer the greatest and most successful side in the VFL. Post that game, things changed dramatically as evidenced by our only 2 premierships being the result of non-Collingwood coaches. Obviously there are other issues at play as well.

But it seems that the 1970 GF loss was a major threshold moment in the history of the CFC. And not for the good.

Never thought about it greatly as it was before my time. But it is clear that the 1970 heartbreaking GF loss to Carlton was a long term game changer for the psyche of the CFC. Prior to that, we were clearer the greatest and most successful side in the VFL. Post that game, things changed dramatically as evidenced by our only 2 premierships being the result of non-Collingwood coaches. Obviously there are other issues at play as well.

But it seems that the 1970 GF loss was a major threshold moment in the history of the CFC. And not for the good.
Or you could say 60, 64and 66 leading up to 70 had just as much impact.
We lost the edge we had.

ps Dan Minogue the player played two Grand Finals for us but came up like a seventies player, empty handed :(
Got premiership success when he slummed it at Richmond :eek:
All time great player.
Not to mention he played the whole 1911 GF with a broken collar bone, was noted for his courage and possibly recklessness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back