Toast The 1914 Indestructibles

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if this has been posted. I found it a great read and what a team!!

Port Adelaide’s history is so rich, so deep that naming its team of the 20th century would have short-changed the pioneers from the club’s first 30 years.

So Port Adelaide in June 2001 announced its Greatest Team (1870-2000) from two centuries

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/club/history/greatest-team
Dick Russell is in that team .. it was family friend "Uncle" Dick that got me following Port Adelaide in 1950 .. I will never forget that day at Alberton.

We totally dominated in 1914. It is no wonder Nth Adelaide hate our guts, we have savaged them many times over the last 100 years :D

The Magpies consigned the Roosters to the lowest score in a grand final since the start of official league records - 1.8 (14) - a losing score again replicated 75 years later when Port Adelaide stormed to victory over North in the 1989 SANFL Grand Final

Notable victories in 1914

SAFL Grand Final
Port Adelaide 13.15 (93) def
North Adelaide 1.8 (14)
Adelaide Oval

SAFL Semi Final
Port Adelaide 12.17 (89) def
Sturt 5.5 (35)
Adelaide Oval

Combined State Game
Port Adelaide 14.14 (98) def
Combined S.A. 5.10 (40)
Jubilee Oval

Championship of Australia
Port Adelaide 9.16 (70) def
Carlton 5.6 (36)
Adelaide Oval

One wonders, given the accolades attributed to Oliver by his contemporaries, whether he was comparable to a Gary Ablett Senior?

From all that I have read about Oliver as being described as the "Beau Ideal" footballer... was held in such high regard by one and all not only as a footballer but a very respected man in the community...so yes I would say he is more than comparable to Gary Ablett Snr as a footballer and a respected gentleman.

The welcome home he received from the court case contains many an accolade for his prowess as a footballer but above all endorses the esteem in which he as a gentlemen was held in the wider community..

HAROLD OLIVER WELCOMED HOME. Public Expression of Sympathy, Admiration and Esteem.

"A MAN IN SPORT, A MAN IN WORK AND A MAN EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK".
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/109342864?searchTerm=Harold Oliver&searchLimits
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/109342864?searchTerm=Harold Oliver&searchLimits=

Murray Pioneer and Australian River Record (Renmark, SA : 1913 - 1942) Berri, September 13.

I have selected a few examples of the accolades afforded him at this large public welcome to Harold & his family.

Mr. Oliver's meteoric rise to fame" in the football world was known to them all; although without a superior in Australia he remained the same quiet unassuming man he had been in his earlier life and had been ever since. (Applause).

They remembered Mr. Oliver when he was a member of the Lyrup team-in fact he was the Lyrup team. Not only was he a capable footballer and Leader, but he "was a gentleman on and- -off the field." (Applause).

They welcomed him back more heartily than they would welcome a Prime Minister or anybody else. (Applause).

Mr. Oliver had had to *stand more insults than most people*, but he had never known him lose his temper on the football field.

A number of apologies were received from absentees, including the chairmen of the District Council (Cr. L. W. A. Peacock), W. M. Gillard, W. H. Pope, V. E. utensil, McLean and L. R. Davies (Barmera Football Club), N. Dyer and the Rev. C. A. Hawke (Renmark).

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/109342864?searchTerm=Harold Oliver&searchLimits=

Murray Pioneer and Australian River Record (Renmark, SA : 1913 - 1942)

* I am curious about why this being mentioned? He must have copped regular insults over the fence for this to be mentioned. Could it have been falsely believed racial abuse? In one of the initial paper reports ( its on Trove) about what provoked Harold to confront Purcell..the sarcastic abuse he was copping could possibly have been racial as the words black and white are quoted as being used by Purcell in his reference Harold to describing himself and the people he was with. It goes without saying there he would have been swearing at Oliver. Harold did not punch him at this initial confrontation in the 1st Qtr of what was a friendly game. Oliver's reaction, to my understanding was very much out of character..so it must have been some very hurtful personal abuse to get his attention and for him to react and walk over and push him in the face or mouth and tell him to "behave" himself.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...at-adelaide-oval/story-fndv8s6g-1226991287562
Port Adelaide denied opportunity to wear heritage jumper at first Friday night match at Adelaide Oval
PORT Adelaide’s wish to wear its 1914 black-and-white jumper against Carlton in the Power’s first Friday Night Football clash at Adelaide Oval is gone.

Donning the prison-bar guernsey in the round 22 clash on August 22 was to be part of Port’s grand celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the club’s triumph against Carlton for the 1914 Championship of Australian title.
Despite the Power having an agreement with the AFL — to overcome sensitivities with Collingwood — that it would only wear the club’s black-and-white strips on significant occasions, the centenary of the national title has not met with the league’s approval.
More ....
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...at-adelaide-oval/story-fndv8s6g-1226991287562

Typically Parochial AFL/VFL.
No FNN Idea of what endorsing history can do to enhance the game..ignorant and dumb as dog s**t.

His history is our history. His peers describe a true champion in every sense of the word

As its a Team Game, I would prefer to say the History of the Indestructible Team played an integral part in the foundation of our clubs history. We are so very proud of this Champion Team today being 100 years on is a testament to them and the history of our great football club. :)

Typically Parochial AFL/VFL.
No FNN Idea of what endorsing history can do to enhance the game..ignorant and dumb as dog s**t.

I wonder how late this was proposed. Carlton could have tied in a heritage guernsey to go with the ones they've been wearing throughout the year for their 150th anniversary.

I have just checked Harolds PAFC Games record.

It needs correcting at both the SANFL Hall of Fame and Wikipedia has him at 104.

The Australian Football shows Harold Oliver’s last 5 appearances in a Port Adelaide jumper came during a 1922 season which lifted his final SAFL games tally to 117. - See more at: http://australianfootball.com/players/player/harold oliver/326#sthash.i6qneDWC.dpuf

The 5 games in 1922 and his games total 117 are recorded in Bob McLeans, 100 years With The Magpies.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From all that I have read about Oliver as being described as the "Beau Ideal" footballer... was held in such high regard by one and all not only as a footballer but a very respected man in the community...so yes I would say he is more than comparable to Gary Ablett Snr as a footballer and a respected gentleman.

This is belated, but 'Gary Ablett Snr' and 'respected gentleman' do not go together.

Google Alisha Horan.

More nerdyness

So I have managed to figure out what motorbike Port Adelaide supporters bought Harold Oliver to keep him at the club. He almost gave the game away in 1920 as he had commitments with his farm in Berri.

Looking through registrations in South Australia I managed to find this...

image.jpeg

So 3.5 Rover is the model of motorcycle the supporters bought him.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Cheapest was £48! Fans spent 77, Huge back in the day.

Oh yeah...in 1921 he captained the club to the premiership.

.... Cheapest was £48! Fans spent 77, Huge back in the day..
Even more nerdyness, the Rover wasn't so expensive after all. Dollar Times says "$1 in 1914 had the same buying power as $23.65 in 2016". At $2 = £1 that comes out to $3,642.10.

Even more nerdyness, the Rover wasn't so expensive after all. Dollar Times says "$1 in 1914 had the same buying power as $23.65 in 2016". At $2 = £1 that comes out to $3,642.10.

I think it's expensive because the wages were much less as well.

An article says that in 1914 the average wage per week was £2 9s 3d in the manufacturing industry. So £77 was around 30 weeks wages.

The equivalent today (using the minimum wage) would be 20k - which is around what a top of the line motorcycle with all options costs these days.

I think it's expensive because the wages were much less as well.

An article says that in 1914 the average wage per week was £2 9s 3d in the manufacturing industry. So £77 was around 30 weeks wages.

The equivalent today (using the minimum wage) would be 20k - which is around what a top of the line motorcycle with all options costs these days.
Yep I agree with all of that. Workers are much better paid than back then, but also top of the line motorbikes are crazy expensive these days.

Those inflation calculators are a bit dodgy
Yeah, you can't find an easy point of reference. Janus's average wage is a relatable one. Or the price of a loaf of bread. And so on. Still I guess the cost of sending 30 or so people to Tasmania for a week is another. Return flights to Hobart (2 week's notice) plus 6 nights' accommodation = $20,520 at best prices. Compares using my earlier figure to about $23,600 equivalent with their boat trip. But surprisingly close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back