Toast The 1961 Grand Final Footscray Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a close friend of Charlie Evans, and played for Footscray Technical School Old Boys (FTSOB) against the all-conquering Footscray 5ths in the local Western Suburbs Under 16 competition. The Footscray 5ths had Charlie Evans, Merv Hobbs, Ian Bryant, Barry Ion, Bob Ware in their team and I remember playing on Barry Ion in the third game of the 1956 season, on what is now the Whitten Oval. I managed to kick the first goal they had had scored against them for the season. The 1961 team was very good--its stars were John Schultz, Ted Whitten Merv Hobbs and Charlie Evans (who came third in the Brownlow, I think).

A mate of mine played in the 4ths, it would have been in 1963, perhaps '64. as a defender. Another mate, a bloke I went to school with, was playing for Collingwood 4ths as a half forward. I went to see the game between the 2 at Victoria Park during School hols. They didn't play on each other but were in the same part of the ground. I'm pretty sure the 4ths were U 17 and played against other VFL club 4ths. I can't recall the 5ths though. Were they in the FDL ?

RIP Charlie Evans
Thank you for representing Footscray FC

Not sure if this is rhe right place for it, but Dogs (and Victorian) defender Charlie Evans passed away last Thursday (16th Sept).

Charlie was a member of our 1961 GF side.

Condolences to the Evans family.

RIP Charlie Evans
Thank you for representing Footscray FC

Sad news. Charlie and I worked for the same august institution in the early 80s, albeit in different branches. But he and my boss were close mates, so I heard almost weekly updates, including some unusual lunching habits! Vale Charlie. 🔴⚪🔵

Remove this Banner Ad

Back