The 1966 Grand Final Highlights in Colour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we have won this one? Funnily enough, I wasn't around in 1966 to experience this :p
Beautiful footage and restoration. Makes me wish I could go back to watch a pre-AFL Grand Final (which Collingwood win, of course)

they were the best of times, they were the worst of times.

bugger of a time to be a pies fan.

Should we have won this one? Funnily enough, I wasn't around in 1966 to experience this :p
Beautiful footage and restoration. Makes me wish I could go back to watch a pre-AFL Grand Final (which Collingwood win, of course)
Could have pinched it-Saints had a slight edge all day. Tuddy had a chance to put us in front with less than a couple of minutes remaining and again with seconds on the clock a Tuddy kick to centre half forward saw Murray mark uncontested and that was game over.

they were the best of times, they were the worst of times.

bugger of a time to be a pies fan.
As it is (at my age that's likely to be younger compared to most on this forum), I've already been alive for 4 GF losses, a win and a draw. Can't see it getting that much worse, though it' obviously could've been had I was born a fair bit earlier. I'd like to think it has made me a more resilient person overall? And when the damn wall bursts, it will be glorious :)

As it is (at my age that's likely to be younger compared to most on this forum), I've already been alive for 4 GF losses, a win and a draw. Can't see it getting that much worse, though it' obviously could've been had I was born a fair bit earlier. I'd like to think it has made me a more resilient person overall? And when the damn wall bursts, it will be glorious :)

Yeah making prelims and grannies most years thru 60s to early 80s wasn't hard. 🙄

Dam walls.....there's plenty of video of Melbourne on October 6&7 1990.

We set a high mark to beat. Remember ch7 kept broadcasting that night.

I have seen us lose 11 grand finals, draw 2 and win 2. I have the deep, deep scars to prove it! I can't stomach the sob stories from any supporter from any other club because nothing they throw up comes close to the agony Collingwood supporters have endured-especially my generation. I will never forget the anguish of that period from 1964 through to 1981. Unbelievable. Then just to top it off we lose another 4 -one by five points and one by nine points and both involved dubious umpire calls! But I'm not bitter!;)

I have seen us lose 11 grand finals, draw 2 and win 2. I have the deep, deep scars to prove it! I can't stomach the sob stories from any supporter from any other club because nothing they throw up comes close to the agony Collingwood supporters have endured-especially my generation. I will never forget the anguish of that period from 1964 through to 1981. Unbelievable. Then just to top it off we lose another 4 -one by five points and one by nine points and both involved dubious umpire calls! But I'm not bitter!;)
Yep, me too. 2-2-11, and I am bloody bitter!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must be the same vintage as me Domus. I was around in 66 but mercifully I wasn't invested in the Pies then. I remember moving to Melbourne and starting a new school, and mum telling me "if they ask who you barrack for, just say "Collingwood" So that's what I did and when I went to school on the Monday after the GF I didn't really know or care.
No longer the case of course, now I'm totally obsessed by all things Collingwood.

Better to have played a grand final and lost, than never to have played a grand final at all.

Better to have played a grand final and lost, than never to have played a grand final at all.
I'm with you Saintly. As gutting as last year's loss was, that was the most enjoyable year of footy that I can remember.

Endured?
The people who lived through the wars endured....the ones that went through the depressions and the droughts, they endured.

We? (Pies supporters)....we lost a few footy games.

There's a video on YouTube uploaded by ABC News with footage of the 1965 Grand Final focused on the supporters' thoughts on the game both before and after and there are a lot of sad Saints supporters and watching that, I wonder how many were there in 1966 and how happy they were then - and, where are they now? Still following passionately or did they give up some time ago. Dunno. Wish I were around in the 60's.

Funny how even in '65, everybody pity supported the underdogs like they did for the Bulldogs in 2016. There's a wee lad blaming the result on the umpires. Also what I found amusing is the actual discussion of the game; it's so basic and there's no depth. "Up until quarter time St Kilda was in the game but their stars weren't playing well". Yeah grouse, every BigFooty addict would be a rocket scientist to those folks when discussing footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back