Club History The 1999 Prelim

Remove this Banner Ad

I was living in England. I missed both the 99/00 seasons. The early days of the Essendon website was my saviour. I remember making regular post-weekend trips to an Internet cafe in central Oxford to check scores. That morning’s check-in, needless to say was a real bummer.

Watched the 2000 GF at an all weekend house party in London. Was really really awake and extremely loving after we won. Don’t think I properly came down until the following Tuesday.

I was living in England. I missed both the 99/00 seasons. The early days of the Essendon website was my saviour. I remember making regular post-weekend trips to an Internet cafe in central Oxford to check scores. That morning’s check-in, needless to say was a real bummer.

Watched the 2000 GF at an all weekend house party in London. Was really really awake and extremely loving after we won. Don’t think I properly came down until the following Tuesday.

Extremely loving is not a term I’ve heard used for munted

I was 21 and had given up playing footy at round 2 the 1999 season. Had stopped enjoying many aspects of it including footy club culture.

Had moved out of home that year, started working, playing in a band, and was living with my best mate - a fellow absolutely rabid bombers supporter.
We watched the game at home. I can still remember the fury! The deep gut churning dismay!
As a little kid I had regularly cried at bomber losses, but this was different. Far worse.

And then I did not watch one single game of AFL football after that until Anzac Day 2009.
That includes completely missing to 2000 season - including the GF which was on tele when I was away for the weekend with friends. I went to the beach..
On that day in 2009 I was housesitting and heard the neighbours yelling. I remembered that Essendon played Collingwood on Anzac Days.
I put the TV on mid way through the third quarter. Soon enough.... Zaharakis!!!
That's why I can't get with the Zaka hate. He's so entwined with my memory of falling back in love with the game. And the sash.

It wasn't that this 1999 loss made me want to not watch footy anymore. I was disillusioned with sport in general after it being my life as a kid.
But it was such a dark day - seemed like the perfect last straw.

We should have kicked a min of 11-3 in the 3rd quarter and not 7-7. We missed a couple of sitters.
We played crap in the first half.
Only good memory from the game was when we were leaving there was a carltanker leaning over the front row of the 2nd tier of the stand giving it to us torchered bombre supporters. This guy had a ZZtop type beard. Then a bombre supporters hand reached up and grabbed the beard and tried to extract this carltank supporter over the railing down to level1. The look of surprise and fear was priceless. To whom ever it was i thank you as I left the ground with that memory.......not the previous 2 hours.
Remember walking past the norf supporters who were lining up for GF tickets who alll had smiles on their mugs. Only time I have ever thought go norf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were you driving a green Mitsubishi?

1990 was worse. Way worse.They can have '99 all they like that filth, I'll take '93 every day of the week, no comparison. We pinched '93 and it ******* kills them.

Nup. '99 was worse. In fact, in my opinion, the 1999 PF was the most devastating loss in Essendon's history. We've had a few, if you go back to the late 40's, 50's where we should have won 6 flags in a row.

Consider these things which 1999 had, which 1990 didn't
1. A loss by the smallest possible margin
2. had nine more scoring shots
3. Lost to our biggest rival
4. Lost to the very team whose premiership record we would have equalled the following week.
5. Essendon miss the last shot of the game from only 15 meters out which would have won us the game

We were never going to win in 1990. I knew going to that game we were cooked. 1999 was different and it pains me to admit that I'm still not over it. It's just the f*****g injustice of it all that gets to me. There was no injustice about 1990. We knew we were going to lose and were beaten by a better team. In 1999, it was as if God was a Carlton supporter and he manufactured the result with all the bells and whistles (margin, scoring shots etc) that could only happen in a dream.

Nup. '99 was worse. In fact, in my opinion, the 1999 PF was the most devastating loss in Essendon's history. We've had a few, if you go back to the late 40's, 50's where we should have won 6 flags in a row.

Consider these things which 1999 had, which 1990 didn't
1. A loss by the smallest possible margin
2. had nine more scoring shots
3. Lost to our biggest rival
4. Lost to the very team whose premiership record we would have equalled the following week.
5. Essendon miss the last shot of the game from only 15 meters out which would have won us the game

We were never going to win in 1990. I knew going to that game we were cooked. 1999 was different and it pains me to admit that I'm still not over it. It's just the f*****g injustice of it all that gets to me. There was no injustice about 1990. We knew we were going to lose and were beaten by a better team. In 1999, it was as if God was a Carlton supporter and he manufactured the result with all the bells and whistles (margin, scoring shots etc) that could only happen in a dream.
coll hadn't won a flag since 1958. We stopped an industry that day. An industry called Let's hang s**t on collingwood. They actually buried the colliwobbles and had a ceremony to celebrate it because of us. Instead of mocking collingwood, WE became the butt of all jokes. " who kicked five goals for Essendon on grand final day " ?
If carlton had won the next week you may have a small point, they didn't. We made up for it the next year, we beat them three times in 2000. We have not come near to paying collingwood back. We were absolutely deplorable v coll on that day. Lose, ok, but to lose like that was embarrassing.
Prelim or a GF ? Doesn't compare for me. Had an incredibly bad summer with the wife's family being 100% bloody collingwood.
eddie mcguire. Case closed. I win.

At least we were very relevant as a team back then, too.

In the barren 15 years from 2004, we've threatened to be again, but it's always been in fits and starts and never across an entire season. Hence so many finishes in the no-man's land of 7-11.

There was definitely something of an injustice about 1990 also, due to the qualifying final draw completely throwing us out of kilter. And there is no way that Collingwood side was better than the Essendon one they defeated on paper.

I was 2 in 1990 and I am glad that is the case - I was too young to remember it and I suspect that can only be a good thing. I watched the replay of it once, and quite simply we absolutely stunk it up.

coll hadn't won a flag since 1958. We stopped an industry that day. An industry called Let's hang s**t on collingwood. They actually buried the colliwobbles and had a ceremony to celebrate it because of us. Instead of mocking collingwood, WE became the butt of all jokes. " who kicked five goals for Essendon on grand final day " ?
If carlton had won the next week you may have a small point, they didn't. We made up for it the next year, we beat them three times in 2000. We have not come near to paying collingwood back. We were absolutely deplorable v coll on that day. Lose, ok, but to lose like that was embarrassing.
Prelim or a GF ? Doesn't compare for me. Had an incredibly bad summer with the wife's family being 100% bloody collingwood.
eddie mcguire. Case closed. I win.

Yes, but we didn't stop an industry did we? Collingwood did, because they won in a match they were always going to win and you and I knew they were going to win. Whilst the result pains me, we didn't cost ourselves a premiership, because we were never close that day.

And that's the fundamental difference. You said "If Carlton had won" and "we made up for it the next year"

No, we didn't make up for it the next year because all 2000 meant was that we should have won two. That's what irks me. We should have won two. 2000 is not related to 1999. We should have won both.

And that PF may as well have been a GF, because everyone knows we would have won the next week. It cost us a premiership, that loss, hence to me, it's the same as a Grand Final. To think we could have been sitting alone atop the premiership tree for the last 19 years with 17 flags.... Think about that. That PF has cost us SOLE POSITION on the premiership tally, which we would have held for two decades.

We are all entitled to our opinion of course and I respect that, but I judge my view simply on how bad I felt after the two losses and I felt worse after 1999. Like I stated earlier I'm still not really over it....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back