the 2 teams to play off in the GF

Remove this Banner Ad

It won't be a Vic team ...living out of a suitcase for 6 months will take its toll mentally.

This is the most unfair season ever ...and it is not the afls fault but nothing can be done about it .

West coast , Port or Brisbane are the only teams who get to play a game in front of their own fans and sleep in their own beds

God knows.

Last year Brisbane, Geelong, West Coast, Richmond and Collingwood all looked likely types at various points, and in all those cases things could change very quickly. Richmond started to look ominous by August but were coming from a fair way back. West Coast were also well positioned and would rue the Magpies draw, Hawks loss and Willie scandal. Brisbane turned out to be an earnest but ill-fated fresh-faced straight-setter. Geelong were worthy early season premiers but were ordinary during Winter. Collingwood similarly fell away midseason and looked a bit dicey until a few late season wins. Giants ended up gatecrashing.

Collingwood, GWS, and Richmond are lurking but hanging about that 5-8 space again
West Coast were a loss away from being scratched after round 4, are currently in 2019-esque form but can still be hurt by some sides and have been without McGov recently
Port Adelaide, Geelong and Brisbane are H&A heroes again, their crunch test looms once again. Brisbane still have a Richmond problem. Geelong are in the mix. Hinkley's 2013-19 has the chance to rewrite its legacy, but I feel like we've sort of seen this story before, especially in 2017-19. They'll hit their double digit wins and maybe win a final, but will they have it in them to take out regular customers in back-to-back finals? Some think their time has come.

It won't be a Vic team ...living out of a suitcase for 6 months will take its toll mentally.

This is the most unfair season ever ...and it is not the afls fault but nothing can be done about it .

West coast , Port or Brisbane are the only teams who get to play a game in front of their own fans and sleep in their own beds
Agreed. Having played only 4 games at home out of 12 up to today has really taken its toll.... not sure how sustainable it is. With a bit of luck we can get through tonight at 10-2.

Edit: Oops didn't see you were talking about Richmond. ;)

Not at all, if it’s a Victorian team no asterisk. Port or west coast, little asterisk, Brisbane, huge asterisk.
Why? Every Vic club gets an asterisk for home advantage in GF's. And in the past even home PF's.

AFL GM Steve Hocking is looking after the Cats

Rd 06: Geel vs Bris at the SCG
Rd 12: Geel vs Port at the Gabba

That after their 3 home games at GMHBA Stadium in Rounds 2,3,5 before the border closures

Some clubs get all the luck, eh? :rolleyes:

Must be nice to have your own clubman in the AFL who gives you an armchair ride with the fixtures, and who chairs the Laws of the Game committee & changes the "hands in the back" rule to suit your power forward.

Still doesn't explain their egregious finals record over the last 8 years.

Not talking one game at the most neutral stadium in the league I am talking about a whole season of advantage.
Whole season?

You've played as many home state games as we have.

If only it was the reverse of a real season......then you'd have something to complain about.
As it stands now, near equality looks like injustice to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whole season?

You've played as many home state games as we have.

If only it was the reverse of a real season......then you'd have something to complain about.
As it stands now, near equality looks like injustice to you.
Home state games aren't necessarily home ground games.
In a normal season Port gets to play all 11 of it's home games at its home ground, 10 against traveling sides. You get an additional away game in China. so you get 11 games with a clear home ground advantage and 2 neutral games.
Richmond plays 10 home games at it's home ground, 4 of them against traveling clubs and 6 of them neutral. Yet you lot bang on, ad nauseam, about how unfair it all is because Richmond play away games against other MCG tenants at the MCG.

Not at all, if it’s a Victorian team no asterisk. Port or west coast, little asterisk, Brisbane, huge asterisk.
You sound nervous

Itll be worth taking into account the rest days and tbh the biggest Gabba crowds been 11k. We won't win it I don't reckon unless we go to another level. If we do there shouldnt be an asterisk.

Would you want to be known as a club claiming an * or just own that you couldn't get the job done

Last edited:
one things for certain, if its not richmond their supporters will definitely put an * next to the 2020 flag.
Well if it is Richmond, are you guys prepared to remove the * next to the 2020 Premiership? I think many posters on here will put an * next to the 2020 Premiership unless their team or a team they don’t hate wins it. It isn’t restricted to Richmond fans.

Either that or everyone agrees that there is an * next to the Premiership

Brisbane is the only asterix team for me

one things for certain, if its not richmond their supporters will definitely put an * next to the 2020 flag.

As a wise man once said, this season sucks. Unless Richmond wins; then it's brilliant.

Richmond is the only club that can legitimise this year's comp by making it three flags in four years, and the AFL should be doing everything in its power to make it happen.

Home state games aren't necessarily home ground games.
In a normal season Port gets to play all 11 of it's home games at its home ground, 10 against traveling sides. You get an additional away game in China. so you get 11 games with a clear home ground advantage and 2 neutral games.
Richmond plays 10 home games at it's home ground, 4 of them against traveling clubs and 6 of them neutral. Yet you lot bang on, ad nauseam, about how unfair it all is because Richmond play away games against other MCG tenants at the MCG.

tldr alert

Thanks for explaining why the best of the Melb based sides enjoy the advantages each year. A regular conversation that often is dismissed and I've no idea why.

The #1 #2 ranked Melb sides each year enjoy an outright favouritism in 17-18 games without the difficulties of interstate travel working against them.
Conversely, the worst Melb based sides have the difficulties of the draw working against them with few opportunities to have an advantage over interstate opponents.

Non Vic teams will always have to overcome 10 games of interstate travel thereby losing some games they would otherwise be favourites for, and 10 games of home ground advantage winning some games that ordinarily be outsiders for.

All things being equal, Melb based sides will gravitate to each end of the ladder and non Vic teams towards the middle.

Statistical evidence lies in the best ever H&A seasons in the AFL era.
Best 5 are ALL Vic based clubs
Geelong 2008 Essendon 2000 21-1
Collingwood 2011 St Kilda 2009 Carlton 1995 20-2

Add
Hawthorn 19-3 2013
North Melbourne 17-5 1999
Richmond 18-4 2018

Bulldogs 15 and Melbourne 14 the only outlier

Geelong with another two 19 and one 18 win season also
Essendon with another 18 win season also
Collingwood with another 17 1/2 win season also
Hawthorn with another 18-4 season also

Compare with best evers for
Adelaide 17-5 2005
Brisbane 17-5 2001/2
Fremantle 17-5 2015
Port Adelaide 18-4 2002/3
Sydney 17-5 2014/16
West Coast 19-3 1991, next best 17-5
3 seasons combined with more than 17 wins (and none ended in a premiership sadly enough)

So 13 of the best 16 H&A seasons belong to Vic clubs. Fairly compelling statistics unless you just choose to ignore them as irrelevant which I'm sure most will.

Now when you add the home state advantage that comes with a fixture lists that favours finishing higher, and a guaranteed home state grand final, the dice is clearly loaded in Vic clubs favour in a normal year.

So forgive me if I don't shed a tear for the hard done by Vics (football wise, the Covid is a tragedy and I'm really hoping things come through asap there)

If it's played in Perth it'll be another 119 pointer. West Coast when they are on playing at home are so far ahead of the rest of the comp it isn't funny.

Not talking one game at the most neutral stadium in the league I am talking about a whole season of advantage.
So i ask you this if it was the other way around and we all had to hub in Victoria and Rich got all its games at the MCG would you say * then? Prob not you guys would be gloating to the hill

If it's played in Perth it'll be another 119 pointer. West Coast when they are on playing at home are so far ahead of the rest of the comp it isn't funny.
I though the umpires only gave us a 3 to 4 goal leg up say about 24 points?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back