Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
*couldn't find old threads, please merge if you want*

Found my old videotape of the 2002 QF and watched it for the first time since that night. No idea where i was that night or why i recorded it on ch 10 gold coast complete with funny local ads.
Was anyone at the game, or watched it somewhere special?
What a brilliant performance from Collingwood and what a stuff up by Port.
- Paul Licuria superb
- Presti a great battle with Tredrea
- Gerard Whately looked like he was about 12 years old
- Not sure if it was a young Joffa absolutely going off in the cheer squad
Would have to be close to Collingwoods best win of the last 25 years.
Love to hear any memories of the night.

It’s a shame great finals wins like these get glossed over due to the side not winning the flag.

With no Buckley against minor premier Port that night really was backs against the wall.

Licca was awesome that night. Wasn't that also the game where Ben Johnson ran down Peter Burgoyne(??) in the goalsquare with a goal saving tackle? Was a pretty big deal at the time IIRC.

It’s a shame great finals wins like these get glossed over due to the side not winning the flag.

With no Buckley against minor premier Port that night really was backs against the wall.

Same with the 2011 PF.

Great Win but Not Talked or Watched much as we went on to lose the GF vs Cats

Buckley interviewed after the game, spoke so differently than today. Was looking at Whately thinking Who the hell are you.

Ben Johnson's drag down of Shaun Burgoyne by his fingertips. Not sure how he tugged down 80kg like that but it's probably my favourite moment of the game.

Second favourite moment of the game is Rocca somehow missing everything from 20cm out.

What about when Chrisso said we where ahead by 13 Minutes after the last goal by Leon

Ben Johnson's brilliant goal-saving tackle (on Peter Burgoyne) comes about 29:30 minutes into the top video of the two posted by Dave up the page a bit. Rocca's astonishing miss is about 27:45 in.

Shaun Burgoyne only had 2 kicks, but they were both goals!: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2002/041320020906.html

What about when Chrisso said we where ahead by 13 Minutes after the last goal by Leon
I liked Michael Christian as a footballer, but always thought he was a terrible commentator! He just did not have the voice for it, and when he yelled it really sounded awful!

I liked Michael Christian as a footballer, but always thought he was a terrible commentator! He just did not have the voice for it, and when he yelled it really sounded awful!

There is a Quite a Few like that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup he needed to though as Burgoyne gave him a bath all night. Was a redemption tackle.

Yeah, Ben Johnson had a stinker that night.

That was probably our best win I believe (excluding 1990 and 2010 obviously). We were never going to win it (especially without Bucks) and it put us into the first seed in that finals series. Just brilliant.

Licca was immense! Got fined by the team for being too self-deprecating in his post-match interview. A joy to watch, that game. And the tackle by Benny!

I think this was the 1st Game I ever Remeber thinking I wonder IF Collingwood Won and I was 16(34 Now) when I saw that game and Started to Follow the Scores bit closer after that

Licca was immense! Got fined by the team for being too self-deprecating in his post-match interview. A joy to watch, that game. And the tackle by Benny!
Was he playing on Francou (who had been absolutely killing it leading into that game from memory)?

Was he playing on Francou (who had been absolutely killing it leading into that game from memory)?
I think he was, but not playing a hard tag. Francou from memory still had 20-odd but wasn’t as devastating as he had been in the lead-up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back