Review The 2004 AFL Draft - What Happened????

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_AFL_Draft

Trades-

Incoming- We picked up Heath Black from the Saints and Josh Carr from Port Adelaide.

Outgoing- Troy Simmonds went to Richmond whilst Troy Longmuir went to Carlton.

National Draft - Our first pick was Benet Copping at pick 59, Toby Stribling at pick 67, and we then re-drafted Daniel Haines at pick 69?

We passed at pick 75 as they must have run out of spuds and crabs by then.

2005 Pre-season Draft

In the 2005 pre-season draft we picked up Jarrod Schofield from Port Adelaide at pick 5.

2005 Rookie Draft

In the 2005 Rookie Draft we took Joseph Krieger at pick 8, Jumpin' Jack Juniper at pick 24 and some bloke called Ryan Crowley at pick 39 ???

Rookie Elevations- We upgraded Steven Dodd and Dylan Smith???

What the bloody hell happened in the 2004 off season/2005 pre-season??

I want a full report on my desk by Monday morning.

I want answers and I want them now!!!

Heads are gonna roll Bisches!!!

Last edited:

Trades-

Incoming- We picked up Heath Black from the Saints and Josh Carr from Port Adelaide.

National Draft - Our first pick was Benet Copping at pick 59 and we then re-drafted Daniel Haines at pick 69?

We then passed at pick 75.

2005 Pre-season Draft

In the 2005 pre-season draft we picked up Jarrod Schofield from Port Adelaide at pick 5.

2005 Rookie Draft

In the 2005 Rookie Draft we took Joseph Krieger at pick 8, Jumpin' Jack Juniper at pick 24 and some bloke called Ryan Crowley at pick 39 ???

Here's your report sir.

What happened - Connolly and Swabby sold our future for the present and their heads have already rolled.

Schwabolly happened, that's what.

Carr was good for us, but not worth giving up our first three picks for.

It was classic Dockers of the time though. First we overestimated the state of our list and thought we needed that one last piece of the puzzle, and then like Headland we bought Carr when his price was at an all time high after he'd just been instrumental in winning Port the flag.

So what you are trying to tell me is that we traded our first 3 picks to Port Adelaide (11, 27 and 45) for Josh Carr.

They then picked up Adam Thompson, Peter Walsh and Aaron Shattock after trading with Melbourne and Brisbane.

On the up-side, having the name printed in black text and the big fat zero in the right hand column does make it easier to identify the freo picks for 2004 on footywire. It's always annoyed me that you can't sort by club in the "draft" search results. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep there would be more changes than at a Transvestite Opera.

If this post gets 100 likes - I will do the re-write.

If it gets 500 likes I'll post it.

If it gets 1000 likes I'll post nude photos of Stronzo and Bushie square dancing.

Trades-

National Draft - Our first pick was Benet Copping at pick 59, Toby Stribling at pick 67, and we then re-drafted Daniel Haines at pick 69?

We passed at pick 75 as they must have run out of spuds and crabs by then.

2005 Pre-season Draft

2005 Rookie Draft

lol
yep, that surely was a disaster.
rumour has it that the decision maker at Freo at the time went to Brisbane & brokered the Fevola deal, only to leave the country after that fiasco.
There were whispers that he was recently involved in trading one US soldier for 5 Taliban captives :cool:

Richmond 5 picks in the top 20 for 4 spuds.. even the one decent player they selected at 1 is a downhill skier..

Could have set the club up for success for years to come as Freo have shown in a few of the more recent drafts.

Probably the worst draft ever though, it's an absolute shocker. As derided, rightly, as Freo's trading once was, you're not going to pick a good player when there simply aren't any around.

Probably the worst draft ever though, it's an absolute shocker. As derided, rightly, as Freo's trading once was, you're not going to pick a good player when there simply aren't any around.

Yeah there is very little talent past the top 10, very poor draft.

Some pretty solid players available in the rookie draft though. Not all of the players worth grabbing end up at the top of the national draft. These guys mightn't be elite talents, but they've each proven they're pretty handy players.

2004 rookie draft.png

Geez that's a weak field - Hawthorn really the only winners.

That is it. A terrible draft really. WC did well getting Rosa and Le Cras.

We overpaid, but I also think that we had a look at the draft and decided it was a good draft to be out of, and so were prepared to throw away our pics. I can't see that we did the wrong thing. What happened once we landed Carr is another story.

Last edited:
Had a quick look through your crib notes and I wonder whether you would change any of your rankings now with the benefit of hindsight? For quite a few draft periods you seemed to give the recruiters a pass for not picking decent players because of the late picks we had but I think people have come to expect good players for late picks now on this board.

Mellington and Mitchie are what I expect. Decent prospects who are a chance to make it. Neale and Sutcliffe are the positive side of that equation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back